Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki puffer light
puffer light
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-01 8:43 pm   Permalink

take a look,from thailand though. I hate international bidding. shipping is $15 bucks too. But it looks sweet.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=719481558

anyone know where I can get instuctions on making my own. I can get the puffer fish locally.

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
annalulu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-02 4:37 pm   Permalink

That's a great looking light! Great price too, if I'm judging the size right. I was just in Morro Bay,CA, at the Shell Store they have there, and smaller fish, no light inside, were going for $40-$60. I got a GIANT one in Mexico for $40, I felt ripped off at first because I'm a crap haggler, but now that I've compared, it was an okay price. Prob. could have gotten it cheaper, though.

I'm also in for instructions on how to make a lamp. Saw some great ones at Oceanic Arts, but the employees were all at lunch so didn't get to discuss technique.

View Profile of annalulu Send a personal message to annalulu  Email annalulu Goto the website of annalulu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 07:33 am   Permalink

I've posted this too many times, I feel like I am yammering on and on. The short answer is to go to Radio Shack and tell them you want to run the smallest LED they have into your fish and to give you what you need and tell you how to do it. One small wire, either a 9 volt battery or a transformer, and you are there. You want very little light/heat. A small LED will do the trick.

$20 will get you a decent sized blowfish on Ebay and elsewhere. Once you illuminate one blowfish, you then have the ability to illuminate all sorts of things, like your floats in nets, etc.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-03 7:11 pm   Permalink

Hey, who shaved that pufferfish? No offense to the winner of that auction but it looks naked and sickly.

[ This Message was edited by: Luckydesigns on 2002-10-03 19:12 ]

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-10-04 3:53 pm   Permalink

I have a few small unlighted fish that were reasonably priced, but they do seem to be getting more expensive lately. I suspect there are fewer producers of these things nowadays.

I did however just buy a big lightled one last week at oceanic arts. I'd still like to try the LED thing with one of my small fish, but the big one they had just looked so good, and when I checked the odds of doing the process myself (slim to none), I decided it was worth the cost. (That ebay price was a lot less than what I paid, but, by god, mine has spikes!) Swanky, the question remains- how do you get the LED into a Glass float? Will a small drill bit work? The staff at Oceanic Arts said they stopped trying to make lighted floats because they shattered 9 out of 10 globes they tried.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-04 4:57 pm   Permalink

I may not be Jacques Cousteau but the lamp identified as a puffer fish lamp was really a parrot fish lamp. The parrot fish also inflates when alarmed but doesn't have the spiny protection that the porcupine fish has...

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-05 03:14 am   Permalink

Hey martiki6, if you put the small LED light against (touching) the float and hide the battery&LED& wiring in the fish net then the float should light up. You can get LED's that are flat on the end that would project the light into the float. PS In theory it works....reality....?

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-06 12:57 am   Permalink

Hey TC. I found a Blow /Porcupine Fish in a store on the Santa Barbara pier today for only $12. It was about 8-9" long. The store lady said they usually have big ones for only $20 or so. (I didn't buy it)

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation