FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Tiki Bar 2005 a Swanky project
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 09:55 am   Permalink

Before Hukilau 2004 I was wondering if I wanted to continue with all the work that is that huge event. I felt sure I didn't, but wanted to wait until after the event to decide. With hurricane Jeanne and thousands of lost dollars and more stress than I ever felt before, it made it fairly easy to decide. So I have decided I am not going to work as an orgainzer for Hukilau 2005.

Part fo my decision was that I wanted to put that effort towards something more lasting, and local. Yesterday I had a meeting with investors and got a go ahead on my new project for 2005, a new tiki bar here in Knoxville, TN.

Plans are all on the table and everything will be brought into shape over the coming months, but the current working name is "The Islands" and it will be a bar, no food, or perhaps simple appetizers. It will also be a tiki bar museum of sorts. Booths will be named after places like Kahiki, Mai Kai, Don the Beachcomber, Kon Tiki, etc. and will feature items form those place in the booth, along with histories. The menu will feature drinks by creator or locale, like the Mai Kai section with their Rum Barrel, Derby Daiquiri, and Shark Bite.

The process is just begining and is exciting. This is the fun part: finding decor. If you know of or are in possesion of larger pieces (from lamps to huge tikis, etc.) from vinatge tiki bars, please drop me a line. We can perhaps buy them or take them in loan, with you retaining ownership.

A lot of you guys will be called on for your art and expertise by me. I am looking forward to making a tiki shrine that you all will be very proud of. And I will keep you all posted every step of the way.

And, I'll see you at Hukilau and get to enjoy it as a guest, while promoting my new drinking establishment!

[ This Message was edited by: swanky on 2005-02-13 10:35 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-10 10:15 am   Permalink

Hukilau in Knoxville!

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 12:07 pm   Permalink

let me know if you need any help. jimmy (exotica arts).

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 12:11 pm   Permalink

This is INCREDIBLE news! Congratulations Swanky, and the very best of luck to you in what is sure to be a very challenging, but hopefully equally rewarding, venture.

I've got a whole mess of coworkers in Knoxville, and I've been converting them to tiki, or at least properly constructed tropical cocktails, one by one for many months now. Not enough of them yet to guarantee a packed house for you, but there'll be some definite and pre-educated interest there.

Keep me posted on your progress, I'd love to combine some daytime work trips with nighttime work parties to help you get ready to open!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 12:22 pm   Permalink

You're going to need a drink tester.
I think I know just the guy.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 1:18 pm   Permalink

Good luck with it Swanky!
Sounds like a dream come true.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-10 1:49 pm   Permalink

Great news Swanky! Sounds like it's going to be just as fun putting together as it will be once it's open!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 2:39 pm   Permalink

congrats to you Swanky. This sounds like a Shot in the Arm for Knoxville Tikiphiles. I'm sure you will create the Ultimate Tiki Palace. Can't wait.
HukoLau will Sorely miss you.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 2:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-10 12:22, pablus wrote:

You're going to need a drink tester.
I think I know just the guy.

BK?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 5:08 pm   Permalink

Good luck on this very challenging but probably very rewarding endevor.
It's allways nice to hear about a new Tiki establishment being opened by people who actually know and care about doing it right.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 5:18 pm   Permalink

Tim, that is so great, congratulations! Yes, to know that "one of us" is getting to build HIS Tiki Bar from the ground up makes me laugh-out-loud happy!

A loss to the Hukilau though, somebody better step up to the plate! Kiliki can't do it all by herself!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 5:28 pm   Permalink

Swanky,how exciting! Good for you for spreading the tiki love-we can't wait to see the pictures-wishing you the most wonderful luck in your new venture.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-12-10 6:06 pm   Permalink

Best of luck to you!!!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 6:27 pm   Permalink

Slowly but surely covering the east coast. Good luck Swank.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-10 6:53 pm   Permalink

Congratulations Swanky.

I am insanely jealous. I've thought about making that leap for a number of years now. Please keep those of us who still lack the cahones (or the psychosis) to venture out there on that edge up to date. I'd be most interested in every detail. Minutia. Please.

It just might inspire me to give in and open up Kuku Ahu the bar.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation