FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's Tokyo
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Tokyo
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-02 08:50 am   Permalink

A lovely bowl of something intoxicating at the New Otani Hotel Trader Vic's.

Vic's lobby. The shot is a little shaky as I had to keep the shutter open longer to preserve the mood lighting and avoid using a flash.

The dining room was closed but they let me go in to take photos.

Another shot of the dining room.

I don't remember where this was! And I only had one drink!

My brother Alex molesting a blowfish.

My husband enjoying a cocktail.

The ceiling is covered with intriguing flotsam and jetsam.

Belly up to the bar! Look at that transparent person floating through the frame... could it be the ghost of Vic Bergeron himself?

[ This Message was edited by: tikifish on 2002-10-02 08:52 ]

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-02 10:59 am   Permalink

That's great! We didn't have time to visit this one when we were in Tokyo - but I will post some pix of my visit to Trader Vics Thailand soon......

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-16 10:06 pm   Permalink

I stopped in to Trader Vic's Tokyo in June & thought I'd post a few additional pictures. Great place with a very friendly & accomodating staff.

My lunch....

& yes - see the new use for those meneheune drink picks!

The very small bar area (about 1/4 the size of the bar in Chicago...)

Some meneheunes all dressed up for Japan, Hawaii & Christmas....

& finally part of the entrance -

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-07-19 7:17 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting those. I've been there too, so it's a pleasure to see someone else's pics. We had the drink in the pineapple too - I don't remember the name. The place is nice at night too, with that cozy TVics lighting and the view down onto the Otani gardens.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-08 03:20 am   Permalink

I'm in Tokyo for the week on business. I had some free time so I hopped in the cab and headed towards the New Otani Hotel and Trader Vic's. The food was fantastic, I had an excellent seared tuna. After dinner I sat in the bar for a while working on some cocktails. The highlight of the evening was definately the bartender (who told me to call him "Bob") making the Coffee Grog. He actually dimmed the lights the bar when he lit the alcohol on fire before pouring it into the mug.

He's worked at the Trader Vic's Tokyo for five years, and was very willing to let me try the various types of rum on the shelf for free, including the several rums that are made in Japan. Bob claims that the Tokyo TV has the best MaiTai's in the world because they use the french Martinique rum instead of the regular Trader Vic's brand.

The place was pretty empty when I got there (about 6pm), I think there was only one other table with people at it. But by the time I left the place had filled up nicely.

The evening was a little on the expensive side, but it's in Japan so that's not a suprise, and the company is paying for it anyway! Woohoo!

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-08 6:11 pm   Permalink

Tokyo is one of my favorite Trader Vic's in the world and I usually manage to swing by it at least once a year. Great food and great drink. But I've also found some of the best Trader's merchandise at this one, that I don't see anywhere else. Some real nice stuff.

Cant' wait to go back!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-06 04:39 am   Permalink

I first discovered Trader Vic's in Tokyo two years ago. I was craving American-style Chinese food (Pork Chow Mein to be exact), and found the Trader Vic's Japanese website. (We'll get to the cocktails later.)

So, I went to the New Otani Hotel, made it to the Trader Vic's, and got an order of chow mein and an order of their special fried rice to go.

It was REALLY good, but also REALLY expensive... (And my employer of 12 years had just collapsed, so I was out of work at the time).

Flash forward to Christmas Day 2010 - my friend and I were in Thailand and decided to have our Christmas dinner at Benihana (located inside Bangkok's Marriot resort).

Benihana was filled up, and we were told there'd be an hour wait, so we decided to spend that hour at the Trader Vic's, which was just across the hall. I was determined to finally have one of their famous cocktails. (Living in Japan for more than 20 years had made me a beer (or "chuhai") drinker. I had never had rum, gin, or any other typical spirits.)

After a cocktail and some Cosmo Tidbits (and getting very relaxed looking out the window at the Chao Phraya river) we decided to forget about Benihana and eat a proper meal at TV's.

It was a GREAT evening and made me want to go back to the Tokyo location once I got back home.

Went there in mid-January and really took in the atmosphere. Had a Mai Tai and learned more about their Sunday/holiday brunch (all-you-can-eat buffet and all-you-can-drink sparking wine).

So, my friend Hiromi and I went there on "National Foundation Day" (Feb. 11), while there was a rare snowstorm hitting Tokyo.

What a perfect afternoon! The food was fantastic, and the warm restaurant (with the slight scent of wood smoke from the Chinese oven), made the nasty weather outside seem so beautiful.

Neither of us like wine, so we also bought a couple of cocktails to go with our lunch. (Trader Vic's Sling & Samoan Fog Cutter for me, and she had a Mai Tai and a Navy Grog.)

After lunch I needed to tell the manager how wonderful our waiter had been, so he came over and I did.

I then learned that the manager was an ex-pat American who's been running the Tokyo location for many years. Larry (never got his last name) is a real gentleman and he spent some time telling me all about the Tokyo location and how he always tries to keep the menu authentic, with many classic Trader Vic's dishes that other locations no longer prepare. He said the Tokyo restaurant has been at the New Otani for more than 36 years and that its rather fancy interior wouldn't be allowed if built today due to more modern fire codes.

Larry also makes sure to decorate the restaurant for each public holiday (both Japanese and American) and other seasonal events. The music played in the bar area is classic island music, which is loud enough for you to enjoy, but not to the point where you cannot have a conversation.

The restaurant doesn't have a shop to buy merchandise at, although you can still get the small doll with your Menehune Juice. The Tahitian Pearl (which is unlike the one shown on the Trader Vic's website) includes an orchid with a real (cultured) pearl inside!

I've grown to really like the Tokyo branch of Trader Vic's and imagine it's one of the more authentic ones operating today. It's a bit pricey, but it *is* in an exclusive hotel, so what can you do? (To save myself 10%, I joined the "New Otani Ladies" club. It's free to join, and 10% is a nice little discount. (But sorry guys, it's for gals only.)

Here is the English version of the Tokyo branch's website:
http://www.newotani.co.jp/en/tokyo/restaurant/vics/index.html

The pics (if they show up) are as follows:

The view from my table at the brunch

the Chinese oven (taken with a 4-second exposure as it's really dark in there)

the bar

a puffer fish hanging from the ceiling

the Tokyo version of the Tahitian Pearl.

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2011-03-06 04:43 ]

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2011-03-06 07:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-06 04:39, Michelle66 wrote:

although you can still get the small doll with your Menehune Juice. The Tahitian Pearl (which is unlike the one shown on the Trader Vic's website) includes an orchid with a real (cultured) pearl inside!

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2011-03-06 04:43 ]

You don't get that at Trader Vic's Bangkok, you might get the nice views of the river but I expect to come back from TV's with a pocket full of Menehunes and a parrot or two.

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-06 08:12 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tips!

Headed back to Trader Vic's Tokyo for a week this Fall & can't wait!!
& this time we'll be staying at the New Otani, too, so no need to stay sober enough to get back to another hotel on the Tokyo subway We'll just be stumbling up to the room.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-20 9:41 pm   Permalink

After nine days of earthquakes (and there have been TONS of them after the big one on 3/11), and fears of a nuclear catastrophe in Fukushima, I decided not to cancel my brunch reservations for yesterday (made well before the quake).

Very glad I went!

It was the first time in over a week that I was able to relax and enjoy myself. The staff was wonderful (as usual), and it must have been hard for them to be so professional in light of the recent turmoil in the country.

Enjoyed the wonderful food, and got a Dr. Funk's Son to get things rolling. (We were also lucky enough to get one of the two tables next to the window with a view of the Japanese garden outside.)

The exodus of foreigners from Tokyo (as well as a decrease in the number or Japanese tourists to the city) has turned the New Otani Hotel into a ghost towm. There were a number of folks at the brunch, but I saw that TV's has been forced to cut back its hours due to the current situation. (ALL restaurants in Tokyo are feeling the pinch.) If you're in Tokyo for any reason, I suggest supporting the TV's by stopping in for dinner, brunch, or a cocktail or two.

Dr. Funk's Son

TV's Own Punch

The view from the window.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2011-03-20 9:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the thirsty making pictures and glad to hear that you're okay Michelle.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-21 02:13 am   Permalink

Did they move the Trader Vic's, or made an extension somewhere ?
Because last time I went (2007), it was on the 4th floor or something, and the view was of the city Shinjuku neighborhood, not a garden at all.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-21 05:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-21 02:13, virani wrote:
Did they move the Trader Vic's, or made an extension somewhere ?
Because last time I went (2007), it was on the 4th floor or something, and the view was of the city Shinjuku neighborhood, not a garden at all.

No, it's in the same location (been there for 36 years too!). It's on the 4th floor and looks identical to the pics at the top of this thread.

The restaurant has a couple of sections. The boathouse bar has windows that look out to one of the other buildings. The dining room has two big windows on one end that look out into the garden. (In the first post (from 2002), you can see the two windows in the 4th photo. We were sitting next to the window on the right.)

The garden's ground is actually quite high. There is a huge stone wall that looks to be about 1.5 to 2 stories tall. You can see the very top of this wall in the picture I took of the TV's Punch. If you look out the window and straight down, there is a 4-story drop.

The New Otani Hotel is a complex of a few buildings. The TV's is in the Garden Tower. The main hotel building looks to be located at the top of a hill, so you need to go to the 5th floor of the Garden Tower to be on the lobby level of the Main Building.

http://www.newotani.co.jp/en/tokyo/restaurant/vics/

The above link is the English website for Tokyo's TV's. Click on the "location" button to see a cross section of the whole complex and the restaurant's location.

virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-21 07:04 am   Permalink

wow, very cool. I didn't see that garden when I visited !
Thanks.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-22 07:07 am   Permalink

Sorry about constantly hijacking this thread with pictures of the TV's in Tokyo, but I can't stay way from the place. (I was lucky enough to have a rare non-holiday weekday off today, so I stopped by to help support the restaurant during these lean times. (I really hope the New Otani gets its usual supply of foreign businessmen back soon as I'm just a poor nursery school teacher who can hardly afford to keep going there at the rate I've been! )

The atmosphere of the restaurant is a lot nicer in the evening when all of the lights are on, but during the day, you can get a better view of the beautiful grounds around the hotel.

Anyway, here are the pics:

To the right of the elevator doors is this gazelle statue made by Vic Bergeron and presented to Mr. Otani (by the Bergeron family) in 1986.

The plaque under the statue.

Opposite the elevator doors is this model of a sailing ship.

Turning left out of the elevator is the Trader Vic's sign and main entrance.

A closeup of the giant tiki (the sign you can see at the bottom of the picture explains the current shortened hours).

Another tiki in the main hallway.

The same tiki, but the shot was taken with a 4-second exposure.

Next to the reservations desk (4-second exposure).

Between the restrooms (4-second exposure).

I sat in the boathouse bar area, as the main dining room was closed (I arrived LATE for lunch today). I was allowed to take pictures anywhere I wanted, so the following shots were taken in the dining room (with all of the lights off).

One of the private rooms.

Looking out the big windows into the garden. (I guess I exaggerated the height of the wall the other day. It's not as high as I had thought.)

Back to my table in the bar area.

My Scorpion finally arrives! (Yum!)

Sipping a Scorpion on an overcast day in mid-Tokyo! (Would be a lot nicer if there wasn't a radiation-spewing nuclear plant 150 miles away... )

My lunch arrives so it's time to stop taking pictures and start eating! (It's the "Barbecue Sparerib Sandwich". Typically delicious TV's spareribs, but with their bones cut off for easy eating!)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation