FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's Tokyo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Tokyo
Polly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-22 11:08 pm   Permalink

Excellent dim feeling.

View Profile of Polly Send a personal message to Polly  Goto the website of Polly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2011-03-22 11:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-22 07:07, Michelle66 wrote:
Sorry about constantly hijacking this thread with pictures of the TV's in Tokyo, but I can't stay way from the place. ...

Huh? You must be kidding! You're not hijacking anything!

Your great photos and commentary is much appreciated. The more the better. And those long exposure shots... Amazing! Thank you so much!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-23 05:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-22 23:30, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-03-22 07:07, Michelle66 wrote:
Sorry about constantly hijacking this thread with pictures of the TV's in Tokyo, but I can't stay way from the place. ...

Huh? You must be kidding! You're not hijacking anything!

Your great photos and commentary is much appreciated. The more the better. And those long exposure shots... Amazing! Thank you so much!

Glad you like the long exposure shots. I'll ask the manager if I could bring my tripod to really get some nice ones. (It's hard to get good angles when you need to rely on whatever's around to get something to put the camera on.)

The restaurant really is nice. It's just a shame the current situation in Japan has scared away all of the people who can generally afford to go there.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-25 09:40 am   Permalink

I'd like to echo that the manager there is a really stand up guy. We talked for a good long time about how things had changed over the years, how committed he was to preserving the classic feeling of Trader Vic's, how the downturn in the economy had affected business and how they had worked hard to avoid having to let anyone go by trimming hours rather than jobs.

If you go to Tokyo it's certainly worth a visit and a very different experience than going to Tiki Tiki (which has its own wacky charms).

Now that the Fukuoka and Osaka locations are closed, this is the only one.

Note the seasonal Halloween theme in this pic.

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-15 06:48 am   Permalink

Went to TV's for my weekly cocktail. (Got a "Shark's Tooth" for the first time this evening. Hoo-boy, was it strong!)

And while the restaurant is not at its pre-earthquake/nuclear crisis levels yet, more people were there than three weeks ago. Hopefully, the number of guests there will increase and allow the restaurant to put the operating hours back to normal.

Below are some pictures from tonight. A couple were taken with a 4-second exposure so more details can be seen.

The view from my usual table.

Tonight's drink.

Looking towards the bar from my table.

Almost the same vantage point as the previous picture, but with a 4-second exposure.

The intimate back corner of the bar area (taken with a 4-second exposure).

The interior of TV's in Tokyo looks so great with the longer exposures, I'd really like to bring my tripod with me some time. Putting the camera on tables limits the angles you can get.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-19 08:45 am   Permalink

Looks great!

I'm the most thirstiesterest of all!

TRADER VIC'S stuff for sale on EBAY 1957SPUTNIK
http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-04-24 04:07 am   Permalink

Spent a wonderful Easter Sunday today at the Tokyo TV's.

What a fantastic time it was!

The food was great (as usual), the cocktails smooth (& strong!), and the weather was absolutely gorgeous! (I made reservations more than two months before, so I was able to get one of the two window tables.)

Below is a photo tour of Easter Sunday at Trader Vic's Tokyo.

The above poster is on display in the lobby, and it features two seasonal cocktails unique to Tokyo's TV's - The "Sakura Mai Tai" and "Spring Fragrance". Both are sold during March & April. (I found out today (with less than a week left in April...) that I should have tried the Sakura Mai Tai much earlier, as it's very yummy!)

Larry (the manager) likes to decorate the restaurant for each season / holiday. For Easter, he had bunnies everywhere, as well as a lot of colorful Easter eggs on the buffet table. Below are some sushi-loving rabbits on display in the main entrance.

A warm and sunny spring day is just the medicine for these trying times in Japan. (The view from my table this afternoon. So beautiful and peaceful! )

And what could make a simply stunning day even better? How about a Sakura Mai Tai!

The Sakura Mai Tai has rum, sakura liqueur, and even ground-up "shiso" leaves (aka "perilla" in the west).

It was VERY tasty! (I love shiso, but I was still amazed as how well it went in the drink.)

It's also has a very pretty pink color. Just perfect for a sunny spring day!

My friend wanted an alcohol-free drink, so she went for one called a "Sunshine". She LOVED it and said she could drink one every day.

For my second drink, I decided to try a "Kamaaina". (While it was good, I definitely prefered the Sakura Mai Tai.)

Sunday brunch at Tokyo's TV's also has a loaded dessert table (with cakes, tortes, fresh fruits, ice cream, and a whole lot more). Today we also got Easter cookies, and these two were the last things I could possibly eat this afternoon.

This picture doesn't look framed very well, but it what I was trying for. The idea was to show the intricate ceiling detail and some of the things on one wall. This is the interior view from my table today.

The final picture today is to show how plush the restrooms are. Real towels and creamy hand soap are a nice touch. Much better than what you get in the USA.

All-in-all, another superlative day out. I can't wait until next month when the featured food will be Mexican (for Cinco de Mayo)!

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2011-04-24 04:38 ]

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-07 6:00 pm   Permalink

For the rest of May, TV's in Tokyo is running a Cinco de Mayo theme.

They've got Mexican dishes added to their wonderful Sunday brunch (on May 15, 22, 29), and a bunch of potent tequila-based cocktails at the bar. (Tried a "Señor Pico Parrot" the other night. It's basically a Mexican "Potted Parrot" and you even get the toy parrot with your drink.)

They've also added some Mexican appetizers to the menu for May.

The way Tokyo TV's does holiday-based themes is a lot of fun, as these special items are *in addition* to all the classic dishes and cocktails - they don't replace them.

(BTW, I hope you folks at Tiki Central find my updates helpful. I'm just smitten with TV's in Tokyo and would like keep others in-the-know about what's going on there.)

Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-07 9:07 pm   Permalink

I love your Easter pictures Michelle. The gardens are gorgeous. I know what shiso is but I've never heard of perilla before (it sounds kind of dowdy and spinsterish). What does sakura liqueur taste like? Is it cherry? I enjoy your TV Tokyo updates, keep em coming.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-05-08 08:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-05-07 21:07, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
I love your Easter pictures Michelle. The gardens are gorgeous. I know what shiso is but I've never heard of perilla before (it sounds kind of dowdy and spinsterish). What does sakura liqueur taste like? Is it cherry? I enjoy your TV Tokyo updates, keep em coming.

"Perilla" is just the English name for shiso (if you google "shiso", you can get the wikipedia page on perilla).

Sakura liqueur has a sweet cherry-like taste to it. (Though not the same as Heering at all.)

Actually, I got the recipe for the Sakura Mai Tai from one of the bartenders, and tried to make one last week.

A total disaster...

The biggest problem was my rum choice. I had used Havana Club 3 year, but its flavor seemed to overpower the sakura liqueur. (I think they use Bacardi in this one at TV's.)

The shiso leaves obviously weren't cut up fine enough either, and they just adhered to my shaker, glass, straw, and every other smooth surface.

Since I did shell out about $18 for the bottle of sakura liqueur (Dover Sakura Liqueur), I'm sure I'll try again. But, I'll see if I can get the bartender to make me one next week, so I can watch him and see what I did wrong.

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2011-05-08 08:07 ]

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-18 12:46 am   Permalink

Sorry to see that the Trader Vic's in Scottsdale, AZ bit the dust.

But, at least things are jumping at the TV's in Tokyo!

The place was like a ghost town in the days/weeks/months following the earthquake and resulting nuclear mess in Fukushima. But, when I went in this past Friday night (for my weekly cocktail), the bar area was pretty much to capacity.

The Sunday/holiday brunches have also been getting busier since March.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, the brunches feature standard Trader Vic's favorites, as well as special dishes that are part of a seasonal theme.

Mexican dishes were included for May's Cinco de Mayo brunch, and for June, July, and August, the theme is "American Picnic" - with mini hamburgers and hotdogs available (complete with mini hamburger and hotdog buns!).

Here are some pics from the "American Picnic" brunch:

This is the main buffet table - with traditional TV favorites. Ribs and chicken wings, Thai vegetable curry, and other popular dishes are here.

Here's the table where the special dishes for the monthly theme are offered. Mini hamburgers, mini hotdogs, chili, fries, and onion rings are available through August. The special for September will be three different curries (I can't wait! Yum!)

The other end of the table in the first picture. The Thai vegetable curry is SO good!

This special table features meat cooked in the Chinese oven - roast beef, pork, and chicken. This is the only table that is not self-service. A chef will slice the meat and serve you. (BTW, it's cooked to perfection (especially the pork), and VERY delicious!)

Going back to the table, my Tiki bowl is waiting.

I dared my friend to try the Tiki Puka Puka... (Yes, she got quite loaded from it! )

And finally, below are three shots of the area behind my booth.

Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-18 10:05 am   Permalink

Michelle66

Do you know what goes into the spring fragrance cocktail? What are the dominant flavors?

MC

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-19 03:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-18 10:05, Maui Chimes wrote:
Michelle66

Do you know what goes into the spring fragrance cocktail? What are the dominant flavors?

MC

I can ask the next time I'm there. They are usually quite good at sharing their cocktail recipes.

croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 05:15 am   Permalink

Great to hear that things are recovering!!

Are their hours back to normal, too, then?

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-19 05:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-19 03:13, Michelle66 wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-18 10:05, Maui Chimes wrote:
Michelle66

MC

I can ask the next time I'm there. They are usually quite good at sharing their cocktail recipes.

That would be much appreciated!!!

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation