FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's Tokyo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Tokyo
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-22 02:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-18 10:05, Maui Chimes wrote:
Michelle66

Do you know what goes into the spring fragrance cocktail? What are the dominant flavors?

MC

I just asked the bartender here at TVT. The basic ingredients of the Spring Fragrance are cherry brandy, peach nectar, and guava juice.

As for the hours, as of today (July 22, 2011) they are as follows:
Restaurant - last order 9:00 (restaurant closes at 10:00)
Bar area - last order 10:30 (bar closes at 11:00)

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-22 5:54 pm   Permalink

By Cherry Brandy I assume they mean Heering "The Original Cherry Liqueur" rather than Kirschwasser, a cherry Eau de Vie. Sounds like a pretty sweet drink.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-29 6:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-22 17:54, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
By Cherry Brandy I assume they mean Heering "The Original Cherry Liqueur" rather than Kirschwasser, a cherry Eau de Vie. Sounds like a pretty sweet drink.

I asked the bartender last night. For the Spring Fragrance they use Bols Cherry Brandy. He told me its scent is better matched to that particular cocktail than Heering.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-29 11:34 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info. I've visited Japan three times (Osaka area) but don't know when I'll get a chance to return. I'll try mixing this up tomorrow as that's what I love most about cocktails, a chance to smell the smells and taste the tastes of long forgotten times and faraway lands!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-29 11:48 pm   Permalink

Also wanted to mention that you take the best Tiki Bar photos I've seen! The long exposure ambient lighting method is the way to go. Very atmospheric.

B.T.W. Tonight at the Emeryville Trader Vic's I had a Tiki Puka Puka, Navy Grog and an E’ville Awa (the specialty drink of the Emeryville Trader Vic's). Yum! The server said the E'ville Awa was similar to a Long Island Ice Tea but it had a definite coconut flavor and wasn't as strong as the Tiki Puka Puka as far as I could tell.

Maui Chimes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-07-31 7:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-07-29 18:17, Michelle66 wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-07-22 17:54, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:

I asked the bartender last night. For the Spring Fragrance they use Bols Cherry Brandy. He told me its scent is better matched to that particular cocktail than Heering.

Thank you Michelle66 for the follow up on the Spring Fragrance. Really appreciate it!

View Profile of Maui Chimes Send a personal message to Maui Chimes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-17 5:52 pm   Permalink

Visited TV's on Friday night. My friend Hiromi and I pigged out on a lot of tasty food, and enjoyed a very relaxing time.

The restaurant is now decked out with Halloween decorations, and I also saw that one of their bartenders recently won a cocktail competition.

Anyway, on to the pics!

A big tiki in the entrance hall looks all happy in its new chapeau.

A couple of Bacardi barrels: booze on the inside, and boos on the outside... (OK, now where's the "bad pun" smilie...? )

Some more creepy crawlies to get you in the mood.

TV Tokyo's bartender Koji Hagiwara recently won the Grand Mariner Cordon Rouge portion of a cocktail competition. This is a laminated card that's on display at the entrance. (Koji wasn't working Friday evening, so I didn't sample his winning concoction, but I will next time.)

Here's the Japanese site with details on the competion:
http://www.hotel-barmen-hba.or.jp/event2.html#41
The recipe for Koji's "Luxury Rouge" (as per the above website) is this:
Grand Mariner Cordon Rouge: 40ml (1.35 oz)
Creme de cassis Burgundy: 10ml (1/3 oz)
Ocean Spray cranberry juice: 30ml (1 oz)
Monin passion fruit syrup: 1 tsp
The cocktail is shaken, and then garnished with an orange peel spiral and "bell rose" (I think "belle rose" is Japanese for "mini rose" (or "edible rose").)

Congratulations, Koji!

Started off with a Cosmo Tidbits and Beef Cho-cho (with its pot flaming away).

Here's my Tiki Puka-Puka...

...and Hiromi's Samoan Fog Cutter

Cooking some meat in the fire pot.

The Menehunes are also getting into the Halloween spirit!

And some Menehunes in traditional garb for tiki purists!

Another fantastic evening at Trader Vic's Tokyo! (Can't wait for my next brunch!)

TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-09-29 8:23 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's the spirit Trader Vic's Tokyo! I don't know if they decorate the Trader Vic's Emeryville for Halloween but now I've just got to go to find out. So glad to see that they serve Tiki Puka Pukas in the Menehune Footed Compote at TV Tokyo https://shoptradervics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_74&products_id=239 . In both northern California Trader Vic's they serve it in a clear glass "Grapefruit Supreme" goblet, which they don't sell. The Tiki Puka Puka is one of my favorite Trader Vic's drinks so I bought the Menehune Footed Compote to serve my home made version in as a substitute, but now I know it is the right way to go! Now I just have to find a source of gardenias.

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-30 3:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-29 20:23, TropicDrinkBoy wrote:
Wow, that's the spirit Trader Vic's Tokyo! I don't know if they decorate the Trader Vic's Emeryville for Halloween but now I've just got to go to find out. So glad to see that they serve Tiki Puka Pukas in the Menehune Footed Compote at TV Tokyo https://shoptradervics.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_74&products_id=239 . In both northern California Trader Vic's they serve it in a clear glass "Grapefruit Supreme" goblet, which they don't sell. The Tiki Puka Puka is one of my favorite Trader Vic's drinks so I bought the Menehune Footed Compote to serve my home made version in as a substitute, but now I know it is the right way to go! Now I just have to find a source of gardenias.

The manager of Tokyo's Trader Vic's told me that they stopped using gardenias in their drinks due to getting too many shipments with ones that had already turned brown. For the Tiki Puka Puka and Scorpion, they now use white orchids.

No nice gardenia aroma, but they sure do look good!

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-18 9:05 pm   Permalink

I just wanted to let folks know that Trader Vic's in Tokyo is back to its normal operating hours. (They had been shortened due to the aftermath of the big earthquake last March.)

The restaurant is featuring roast turkey (with all the trimmings) as part of their Sunday/holiday brunch for November and December. (This is in addition to all of the other TV favorites served during the brunch.)

The turkey at TV's is jaw-droppingly good! VERY juicy and tender. Cooked totally to perfection! (After growing up on my parents' over-cooked, dry, and tough turkey, eating it at Trader Vic's was a revelation.)

For Thanksgiving this year, TV's in Tokyo will be offering a five-course dinner with free second helpings of turkey (if so desired).

For Christmas, there are two different specials: the "MELE KALIKIMAKA" brunch (Hawaiian entertainment from 12/23-12/25), and the "Faith, Hope & Love Dinner Cruise" from 12/22-12/25. (I've got reservations for the brunch on the 23rd, so I can't wait for that!)

Went to the brunch last weekend. Enjoyed my first "Rum Giggle", which was VERY tasty!

Here's a picture of it:

Larry (the manager) is getting the restaurant all decked out in holiday trappings, so if you're an expat who wants to get some real Christmas spirit, I suggest dropping by!

fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-20 12:19 am   Permalink

The wife and I dropped by in October. As always, service was very pleasant and efficient. As I haven't lived in Japan for a while the prices there are always a bit of a shock with the yen being so strong, they are essentially double that of the US.

It's interesting how Halloween decorations are now everywhere in Japan. 20 years ago Halloween decorations were few and far between. Now the country is blanketed in them.

- fm

Drink menus for your viewing pleasure.

[ This Message was edited by: fez monkey 2011-11-20 20:58 ]

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wolf_138

Posted: 2011-11-26 1:58 pm   Permalink

Hey there,
Awesome pictures! I am headed to Yokohama in 5 days for the Mooneyes Hot rod show and I wanted to chekcout TV in Toyko, (...among other tiki bars). I saw on their website "No jeans, T shirts, sneakers" and I'm about to pack up my stuff... Should I bring some "decent" clothes to rock or is my normal wear of dickies and vans not going to get me in? I just want to hit the bar really... Thanks for your time/help!

View Profile of wolf_138 Send a personal message to wolf_138      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-26 4:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-11-26 13:58, wolf_138 wrote:
Hey there,
Awesome pictures! I am headed to Yokohama in 5 days for the Mooneyes Hot rod show and I wanted to chekcout TV in Toyko, (...among other tiki bars). I saw on their website "No jeans, T shirts, sneakers" and I'm about to pack up my stuff... Should I bring some "decent" clothes to rock or is my normal wear of dickies and vans not going to get me in? I just want to hit the bar really... Thanks for your time/help!

I think you'll be OK with Dickies and a polo shirt. (Isn't that the "uniform" for American men these days anyway...? )

Last summer, I was concerned about heading in after work with (designer) jeans and sandals (nice leather sandals). I was told that the dress code is basically to prevent folks from heading in with flip-flops, and really ratty-looking clothes, and that my attire was just fine.

Trader Vic's Tokyo is a nice place, but it *is* a tiki bar/restaurant. People don't go there wearing tuxedos or tiaras. Tasteful casual wear is OK.

Just use common sense. (And don't wear Crocs. They might not be on Trader Vic's dress code, but they sure are on mine!)

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-11-26 6:49 pm   Permalink

After an afternoon of shopping yesterday, I called my friend Hiromi and asked her if she cared to hit TV's with me.

She said "OK", and we met there.

Didn't have the digital camera with me, so the two pics here were made with an iPhone (so they aren't the best).

The Trader Vic's in Tokyo has some cocktail selections on the menu not available in other locations. (And, of course, there are concoctions served at other TV's that you can't get here.)

One of the drinks that I had always wondered about is the "Hinky Dinks Fizzy". This one isn't even on the TV's website, and since it's got the pre-Trader Vic's name attached to it, I presume it might be a drink from Vic Bergeron's first establishment.

But, I'm not a wine fan, and since champagne is one of the ingredients, I kept shying away from it. (I just cajoled Hiromi into ordering one so I could get a shot of it! )

This is the listing of the drink as it appears in the special English version of the TV Tokyo's cocktail menu:

HINKY DINKS FIZZY - Feel dizzy... Gin, light rum, apricot brandy and juice with sparkling wine. ¥1,785 (¥1,700)

Hiromi liked the drink and said it would be something she'd have again.

My second drink of the night was the newly-formulated Tiki Puka Puka. It was OK...I guess....but maybe a bit too sweet.

Why did Trader Vic's Tokyo need to reformulate the Tiki Puka Puka? It's due to the current unavailability of Lemon Hart 151 rum in Japan. (The 80-proof stuff is also unavailable.)

It seems that for some reason, importation of Lemon Hart into Japan stopped sometime last year. Trader Vic's had learned of the cessation ahead of time, and stocked up on the rum. But, they eventually ran out and needed to reformulate any of the drinks that called for it.

So, things like the Tiki Puka Puka, Navy Grog, etc. are now made with alternative combinations of rum. (I was told that Bacardi 151 and Navy Rum were combined to replace the Lemon Hart 151 that had been used in the Tiki Puka Puka.)

Now, most folks probably would never notice the change (I mean, there are a lot of other ingredients in there too). I did only because I had known ahead of time it had no Lemon Hart. Also, the Tiki Puka Puka was something I was ordering a lot when I knew TV's was getting close to the end of their supply of demerara rum. I had been used to its old taste, and the new version was just a bit different. Not bad, just not exactly the same as before.

I'm sure that Lemon Hart will eventually be imported into Japan again, and that once it is, Trader Vic's will return the drinks to their old recipes. (BTW, the bartenders are totally transparent if you ask them about which rums are being used. No secrets about anything. They will also give you any of the drink recipes if you ask. My inquisitive nature tends to get the best of me, and I've pestered the poor bartenders at TV's about the drinks more times than I can recall...)

As for the food, in addition to the Cosmo Tidbits, Hiromi and I shared a "Vietnamese Spring Roll". If you'd like to try something with a creamy peanut taste, get this! It's a steamed spring roll filled with veggies, chicken(?), and a peanut sauce (with extra sauce on the side). SO TASTY! (Not spicy, but creamy and flavorful. We really enjoyed it!)

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2011-11-26 18:53 ]

rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-11-27 3:19 pm   Permalink

I had a great time when I stopped by Tokyo over Halloween weekend. Michelle was a great hostess meeting me there for cocktails on a Saturday evening and making introductions. Had a great night and managed to get back there for Sunday champagne brunch the next day. Larry the GM is a terrific guy and runs a top-notch establishment at the Hotel New Otani! Good times, just save up so you can push through the sticker shock. The cocktail menu there is old school with some items that haven't been on US menus for several years.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation