FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Trader Vic's Tokyo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Trader Vic's Tokyo
Tattoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 8:41 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting all the pictures. Looks really nice... must go!

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 9:27 pm   Permalink

Wonderful photos! It looks as good, if not better, than when I was there in 2007. I am sorry Larry has left, though. I got to know him at the opening of Trader Vic's Las Vegas. A true gentleman who always made you feel welcome.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 9:34 pm   Permalink

Man this makes me miss this place and my time in Tokyo with Mickey Mouse and friends! lol Awesome post!!!

www.thorart.com

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-13 3:44 pm   Permalink

I picked up this little table topper drink card for the Tokyo Sour from when Trader Vic's first opened in Tokyo.

I find it very interesting that it makes sure to announce that it is in no way affiliated with the Trader Vic's in Hawaii!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-11-13 4:49 pm   Permalink

LOL - yeah - the rift must have been quite fresh back then!

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-01-29 01:21 am   Permalink

It has been a few years since this Trader Vic's Tokyo thread has been updated, so I figured I'd add another 2¢ to it...

The big news I guess (and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it yet) is the redesign the Boathouse Bar area received at the beginning of 2015.

The entire central sofa/table section that had been facing the bar was removed and replaced with a few high tables and bar stools. Blue lighting was also put under the bar at the same time.

This photo is courstesy of the Trader Vic's Tokyo website:

The redesign opened up the bar area quite a bit, and when the section is now set up for the Sunday brunch, the platters of food have easier access than before. (A large central table allows more platters to be offered than the old setup.)

(Full disclosure time: I guess the redesign had dampened my enthusiasm for TVT. However, after returning for brunch after not visiting for well over a year, it wasn't so bad after all. The tasty food more than made up for any reservations I still had. I had even felt very silly for letting my distrust of any sort of change get in the way of enjoying my favorite restaurant.)

Karim Belgnaoui is still TVT's general manager and he often arranges special events – like recent dinner buffets done for both Halloween and Thanksgiving (not to mention a countdown party on New Year's Eve). (I have the New Otani's TVT website bookmarked and check it quite frequently. The Japanese-language page gets updated more often than the English page, so it's better for learning what's going on.
http://www.newotani.co.jp/tokyo/restaurant/vics/index.html )

After visiting TVT for the first time in over a year, I had been pleasantly surprised to see that they had begun offering some TV glassware and mugs for sale in the front showcase. Since the Trader Vic's Online store in the USA doesn't ship internationally, it was fantastic to finally be able to buy an authentic Fog Cutter mug. (Kudos to Karim for opening the "store". Much appreciated!)

Anyway, I kind have been making up for lost time recently and had lunch at TVTs four or five times in the past couple of months. I haven't been by for evening cocktails yet, so haven't seen the newly-designed bar area in action yet, but I'll post some new pics once I do.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-01-29 03:19 am   Permalink

If you click on the above link, you will see that Trader Vic's Tokyo is offering a weekday-only special "business lunch".

The menu changes monthly, and you can choose either a salad or soup, one of four main courses, ice cream or sherbet for dessert, and coffee. It's a pretty sweet deal for ¥2800 (plus tax and service charge).

Went in on Friday for lunch and had the following:

Started with a Hot Coffee Grog because I was cold after just enduring a long walk in frigid Tokyo as part of my job.

Went with the avocado and grapefruit salad (with Javanese dressing), and the Thai glass noodles & shrimp for the main course:

Finished with vanilla ice cream and coffee (the coffee at Trader Vic's Tokyo is amazingly good):

All in all, it was a well-needed break from a hectic Friday workday!

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-01-29 09:52 am   Permalink

Thank you Michelle for all the updates, glad Trader Vic Tokyo is still going strong, the food looks amazing and that coffee looks really good.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-25 05:20 am   Permalink

I hadn't been to TVT for a few months, but ended up going with a small party of my coworkers last Sunday for the brunch.

It was a great time!

We had made reservations a couple of weeks early, so our table was located in the Tiki Room (the main dining room), right next to one of the two windows overlooking the New Otani's garden (it was a gorgeous afternoon, so the green trees outside the window really enhanced the atmosphere)..

The theme for May's brunch is Hawaii, so most of the dishes are tied to the island in some way. (June's theme is "Señor Pico", so I guess the menu will be heavy on Trader Vic's Mexican recipes.)

Traditional Trader Vic's appetizers are generally rotated for the brunch. This month, Crab Rangoons got the nod, which was why I was so eager to go. (The Señor Pico brunch looks to mean another trip in June.)

TVT has been promoting their line of fancy, gourmet hamburgers for some time. For the brunch, they had set up a cook at one of the stations grilling up mini hamburgers for the diners. They looked to be quite popular, as there was always a line of people waiting to get one of the little burgers. (There was also a full line of toppings, so you could create the exact type of burger you wanted.)

After eating my fill of tradtional dishes (not to mention a huge slice of the amazing Trader Vic's roast beef), I decided to have one of the mini hamburgers myself. (I made a simple cheeseburger, and just couldn't pass the Crab Rangoon tray without grabbing one more...)

One key aspect of the brunch is the all-you-can-drink sparking wine (which my coworkers took advantage of), but as someone who just doesn't like any sort of wine, I went the cocktail route. (They offer a price break on Mai Tais during the brunch.)

So, if you're coming to Tokyo, you really need to check out Trader Vic's holiday brunch. It's one of the best meals you'll ever have!

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2018-05-25 05:22 ]

Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-28 4:15 pm   Permalink

Trader Vic's Tokyo has posted its brunch menu for June.

As mentioned above, the restaurant will be serving dishes based on Trader Vic's Señor Pico recipes.

Check this out:

BBQ CHINESE OVEN:
BBQ Roast BeefGravy, Horseradish & Chimichurri [CARVING]
BBQ Pork & BBQ Chicken [CARVING]
BBQ Spareribs

HOT APPETIZERS:
Spicy Beef Quesadillas [PICO]
Refried Bean Dip [PICO]
Steamed Dim Sum

BREAKFAST:
Chorizo & Potatoes [PICO]
Mexican Omelette [PICO]
Breads

SOUP OF THE DAY:
Tortilla Soup [PICO]

COLDS, FRESH SALADS:
Santa Fe Coleslaw [PICO]
Quinoa & Beans Salad [PICO]
Shrimp Cocktail
Salad Bar
Assorted Cheese & Cold Cuts

CHEF TAI SELECTION:
Lemongrass Beef
Thai Red Fish Curry & Rice
Malaysian Rice Noodles
Stir Fried Vegetables

TRADER VIC'S FAVORITES:
Mexican Stuffed Peppers [PICO]
Seafood Enchiladas [PICO]
Chicken Mole [PICO]
Pork Chili Verde [PICO]
Mexican Rice [PICO]

PASTRIES FROM OUR OWN KITCHEN:
Freshly Baked Waffles [LIVE]
Tres Leches Cake [PICO]
Orange Flan [PICO]
Senor Pico Cheesecake [PICO]
Mango Lime Pudding [PICO]
Strawberry Shortcake
Fruits Roll Cake
Churro Cream Puffs [PICO]
Mexican Chocolate Cockies [PICO]
Coffee Jelly

FRESH FRUITS・ICE CREAM・SHERBET:
Fruits
Ice Cream & Sherbet

SELECTION OF JUICE:
Mango, Guava, Orange, Tomato, Cocoa

COFFEE OR TEA:
Coffee,Tea

[On the notations: "Carving" means a chef is on hand to carve you a slice of meat from the entire roasted item. "Pico" would be something only served during the Señor Pico brunch. "Live" means a chef will be set up at a table, cooking fresh waffles for the diners.]

The Señor Pico brunch is one of my favorite TVT spreads. The chicken mole is fantastic, and so is the tortilla soup (if they use the same recipe from a few years ago).

I can't wait!

JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-11-02 2:50 pm   Permalink

We're going to be in Tokyo the first week of December and I've already reserved time to stop by Trader Vic's. Probably at the end of our day of shopping on Tuesday or Wednesday. for an early happy hour in the bar. Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for specific to the Tokyo TV's? I already hope to pick up their Tokyo Sour glass to go with the London Sour glass I got last year.

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-11-07 3:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-11-02 14:50, JasonMa wrote:
We're going to be in Tokyo the first week of December and I've already reserved time to stop by Trader Vic's. Probably at the end of our day of shopping on Tuesday or Wednesday. for an early happy hour in the bar. Anything in particular I should be on the lookout for specific to the Tokyo TV's? I already hope to pick up their Tokyo Sour glass to go with the London Sour glass I got last year.

I believe I saw a new glass for sale in their showcase – one that shows support for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

If possible, you really should visit TVT for one of their Sunday/holiday brunches. For December, they are sure to have their delicious roast turkey as one of the available sliced-to-order meats (to go along with their roast beef, roast pork, and chicken).

The brunch buffet has a tremendous variety of dishes, and is the best way to get totally stuffed on wonderful Trader Vic's food.

Happy hour is great for ¥1000 Mai Tais, but I think the brunch is more of a memorable experience.

JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-11-07 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-11-07 15:39, Michelle66 wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-11-02 14:50, JasonMa wrote:

I believe I saw a new glass for sale in their showcase – one that shows support for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

If possible, you really should visit TVT for one of their Sunday/holiday brunches. For December, they are sure to have their delicious roast turkey as one of the available sliced-to-order meats (to go along with their roast beef, roast pork, and chicken).

The brunch buffet has a tremendous variety of dishes, and is the best way to get totally stuffed on wonderful Trader Vic's food.

Happy hour is great for ¥1000 Mai Tais, but I think the brunch is more of a memorable experience.

If that glass is available its a must get for me. The combination of TV's and Olympics is great.

Sadly we're only in Tokyo Sat-Sat, mainly as a bucket list trip for my wife and her Dad to go to Tokyo Disneyland. So we get in Saturday evening, stay that night at the off-site Disney property, then Sunday morning transfer to the Miracosta for the rest of the trip. No real time to go to TV's that day. We're going to spend one day shopping in Shibuya and Nakano Broadway and swing by TV's on the way back to the resort but otherwise its a Disney trip (my mother-in-law worked for Disney for 16 years before she passed away, the last almost 10 at Walt Disney World, and they always wanted to see the foreign parks, especially Tokyo). My wife and I plan to return just the two of us at some point in the future to really "do" Tokyo.

[ This Message was edited by: JasonMa 2018-11-07 18:18 ]

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-11-07 11:06 pm   Permalink

I see.

Too bad about the timing. Going from Maihama station to the center of Tokyo after checking in into the Miracosta proably wouldn't be worth the hassle (considering the brunch starts at 11:30).

If the days you plan to visit the parks are flexible, this site might be helpful:
http://www15.plala.or.jp/gcap/disney/

The site forecasts the expected crowd size for any specific day, based on stuff like special events, public holidays, school vacations, past crowds, etc. I use it before planning my trips, and it has saved me a lot of angst. (It's not perfect, but it is very good tool.)

I hope you have a great time! Both parks are lots of fun! (But, weekends there are pretty brutal...)

[ This Message was edited by: Michelle66 2018-11-08 02:33 ]

JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-11-08 07:38 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tips! We are aware of the weekend crowds which is part of the reason we planned the trip the way we did (airline schedules/fares was the other reason). We plan to use Sunday as our "get our feet wet/acclimated day" and not try to knock off any of the big attractions or anything. Maybe some of the daytime entertainment. Then the Saturday we leave will probably just be doing some shopping/sightseeing at the hotels and Main Gate area without park admission before heading to the airport.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation