FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Stolen Tiki Alert (Judy @ Bamboo2U Stolen Tiki Pix added 4-19-05)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Stolen Tiki Alert (Judy @ Bamboo2U Stolen Tiki Pix added 4-19-05)
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 2:41 pm   Permalink

I saw this article in the Saturday Dec. 11 Orange County (CA) Register newspaper:

TIKI STATUES STOLEN FROM FAMILY'S YARD

Carlsbad (CA)
- Two 100-pound tiki statues standing 5-feet-tall and anchored in concrete were stolen from the yard of a Carlsbad family. Jon Woidtke, who carved the statues by hand from palm trees, said he hoped a curse would befall the thieves who stole his property.

As a carver I think it really sucks that you can't display your art in the front yard without it getting ripped off. My guess is that someone dragged them out of the ground with a pickup truck in the middle of the night.

I'm gonna try to contact this guy & see if he has any photos. That way, if any TC members run across the stolen tikis, they can notify the owner and we can bring these scumbag tiki thieves to justice!

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2005-04-19 21:40 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 2:47 pm   Permalink

see the prior post on San Diego Union article on tiki theft.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 2:52 pm   Permalink

Oops! Thanks for the heads up, Tiki Rider. I did a search for "stolen tiki" and got nothing. Oh, well - for those interested, here's a link to the post that Tiki Rider mentioned.

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12281&forum=1&2

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 3:01 pm   Permalink

Is tiki theft very common? Makes me wonder if I should be taking any special precautions with mine that I have in the yard. These were stolen even with them chained and concreted into the ground. what else can you do. Should you place a warning sign to potential theives that your tikis are protected by a curse? Does anyone else take extra precautions as the chaining? how many of us have been victim to tiki theft?

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-12-12 3:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-12 15:01, Tiki Rider wrote:
Does anyone else take extra precautions as the chaining?

I typically booby-trap with a 12 gauge shell and lead pipe. No problems (that I'll admit)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 3:11 pm   Permalink

I was thinking of hollowing mine out and placing an exploding dye pack inside of them to surprise the tiki nappers.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-12-12 3:54 pm   Permalink

Hmmm. Good band name?

The Exploding Tikis

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlmostHuman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-12 6:30 pm   Permalink

Gotta admit that a good thing about being in Texas is being allowed to shoot folks you catch stealing from you.

View Profile of AlmostHuman Send a personal message to AlmostHuman  Email AlmostHuman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-12 10:19 pm   Permalink

This is exactly why I don't want to put stuff in my front yard. I hide it all in the back where only my family, guests and the neighbor on each side can see any of it. I just know that it is a temptation for the no goods to either deface or steal.
I feel for anyone who has become a victim of a tiki-napping. Sure hope these get returned soon! ;( ;(

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-13 8:11 pm   Permalink

I'd bolt mine in concrete, but somebody could still yank it out with a truck and tow chain. If they really want it that bad, I don't know if I can stop 'em. The really sad part is, I doubt anyone doing this really wants the Tiki; they're just looking for something really wild to do, and heisting a tiki isn't done every day.

If you can keep it outa sight, you'll prevent the random acts of stupidity. If you can't hide it, high voltage is nice.

BTW, COOL new picture, 8-foot! Can we see a LARGER version?

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-13 8:17 pm   Permalink

I've had some stuff like this dragged off by born again christians.

A couple of Tiki Statues dragged off, and busted up.

Depressing really.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-13 8:49 pm   Permalink

Now thats a shame. Maybe you should get a tiki done up with the words "American Taliban F*CK OFF!!!"

Then pack the thing with hornets. Wait for them to take the bait, and the merriment that will ensue.

If you have a screened porch, you can sit in protected bliss and sip a fine ale while you watch.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlmostHuman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-13 10:47 pm   Permalink

If you know for sure it was born again xtians then you should follow the immortal words of Judas Priest ..."Screaming for Vengence"

View Profile of AlmostHuman Send a personal message to AlmostHuman  Email AlmostHuman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 12:04 am   Permalink

Silverline wrote:
Quote:
COOL new picture, 8-foot! Can we see a LARGER version?

Here ya go!

And here's a link to the original post of the first meeting. ENJOY

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6515&forum=1

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-12-14 00:04 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 12:14 am   Permalink

Perhapes the same technology used in those Pepsi machines that tip and kill soda pilferers could be deployed.

I also like the idea of those hornets tho.
Maybe there needs to be invented a slack hut theft deturing device...like..BungaLojack?

The methfeeks who took mine admitted it later, actually as if they were keeping the neighborhood free from Satan's minions.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation