FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Stolen Tiki Alert (Judy @ Bamboo2U Stolen Tiki Pix added 4-19-05)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Stolen Tiki Alert (Judy @ Bamboo2U Stolen Tiki Pix added 4-19-05)
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 12:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-14 00:14, Gigantalope wrote:

The methfeeks who took mine admitted it later, actually as if they were keeping the neighborhood free from Satan's minions.

THEY OBVIOUSLY HADN'T LOOKED IN THE MIRROR

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlmostHuman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-14 10:51 am   Permalink

Aw man...you could have fun playing with their minds when they are on a bender...*snicker*

View Profile of AlmostHuman Send a personal message to AlmostHuman  Email AlmostHuman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 3:28 pm   Permalink

Aloha all,

I’m not sure if this was covered previously but about 3-4 years ago a similar criminal was terrorizing Tiki owners near the same North San Diego County area. I have a couple of friends who lost Tikis to the bandit. Oddly enough this guy was also a meth addict, he would cruise around on his bike casing houses, if you caught him in your yard and asked whadda ya want, he’d cleverly come up with the old “looking for work” excuse. This guy would go anywhere to get a Tiki, front yard, back yard, where ever, he was a master Tiki thief. I have a customer in Leucadia who has a bunch of my carvings and she was terrified the monster would find her yard. Being a small coastal community my friends figured out who the guy was and did a reverse sting, they went to his mother’s house, where he stashed the goods and lived. Their Idols sat just over a fence (one was in a tree?) along with animal lawn ornaments, and gnomes, etc… They called authorities and later had to go down to the station and ID their Tikis, the cops where befuddled that “anyone can tell them apart they all look the same”.
Another of the carvings was taken to a local Tiki chop shop of sorts run by an unscrupulous Tiki salesperson, where they tried to disguise it by painting the teeth white and adding color to the humiliated God. Ironically the way the fiend got into heisting Tikis was by starting with garden Gnomes and the reflective yard balls! I think the lesson here is obvious.
I know it sounds too crazy to be true but it’s all fact, some of this mess was covered by the local paper. Fortunately I had the inside scoop where I got to hear all the sorted details and believe you me there is a lot more strangeness to this tale.

Mahalo

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 08:35 am   Permalink

Interesting story Bosko. So whatever happened to this guy? Was he ever convicted of trespassing or robbery? I remember reading about when the tiki in front of Trader Mort's was stolen. Was it the same guy?

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 11:07 am   Permalink

Good tale Bosko - I hope they locked that guy up & threw away the key!!!!!

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 1:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-14 15:28, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
Ironically the way the fiend got into heisting Tikis was by starting with garden Gnomes and the reflective yard balls!

That it starts with the occasional Lawn Gnome, but you soon move on to the "Hard Stuff?"

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 2:15 pm   Permalink

I don't understand this; How in the world could they yank these babies out of the ground without anyone hearing?!
Hell, if the same car drives past my house more than twice, I'm standing in the front yard with a gun and my Rott!
(God bless America!)

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sinner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 3:10 pm   Permalink

So lawn gnomes are kind of like some kind of gateway drug?

View Profile of sinner Send a personal message to sinner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-15 7:50 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

One of my associates just got back to me with info. Authorities had not caught the Tiki bandit at the time they reclaimed their carvings, but the cops where on the lookout for him. My other friend is now living in Hawaii, perhaps he’ll know more? I guess it could be the same criminal, but traditionally Tikis have always had a high quotient of that indescribable quality which screams steal me.

Who or why the Trader Morts’ Idol or the gigantic Bali Hai Tiki was stolen is a mystery, but both where returned shortly afterwards. Although some of the possibilities are too horrible to imagine, perhaps the thieves’ guilt got the better of them. Or the goods got too hot to hold on to so they where forced to dump them back in their respective establishments parking lot.
Over the years I’ve received a fair amount of mail from those who’ve possessed Tikis of questionable origin and the awful effects they’ve suffered due to its mana.

Yes, garden gnomes are a gateway (yard ornament drug) to the literally heavy stuff.

Mahalo

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-17 03:22 am   Permalink

I just recently moved into a new housing development in Makakilo Heights, on O'ahu. I have a perfect property for decorating a'la tiki. My house, as well as my neighbors next to me, sit on a ridge looking down at the Leeward coastline of Ko'Olina, Barber's Point and Ewa Beach. There are quite a few of these newer homes up here and lately, thieves have been breaking into homes in broad daylight, presumably when people are at work. Hawai'i as a state, and especially the leeward coast area has a real problem with crystal meth users - epidemic proportions. We are not that far from the areas where these people live and carry out their "business". It's not hard to imagine that the tiki's I'm planning to put outside around my property (BTW-there aren't any fences... just open space) would no doubt be a target for these people. Unless I could somehow convince potential thieves that the tikis are protected (as Bosko suggests) by some tiki curse which will befall them. I really like the idea of the hornets but logistically I'm having trouble with it

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-17 10:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-17 03:22, MaiTaiMafia wrote:
...Hawai'i as a state, and especially the leeward coast area has a real problem with crystal meth users - epidemic proportions. We are not that far from the areas where these people live and carry out their "business"...

Hawai'i has always been such a laid back, restful, and magical place to me... The thought of the Aloha State overrun by "tweakers" is just too much to take. Shouldn't these people be cooking up their goods in run-down trailers out in the desert somewhere? This is just too sad...

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-18 02:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-17 22:26, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Quote:

On 2004-12-17 03:22, MaiTaiMafia wrote:
...Hawai'i as a state, and especially the leeward coast area has a real problem with crystal meth users - epidemic proportions. We are not that far from the areas where these people live and carry out their "business"...

Hawai'i has always been such a laid back, restful, and magical place to me... The thought of the Aloha State overrun by "tweakers" is just too much to take. Shouldn't these people be cooking up their goods in run-down trailers out in the desert somewhere? This is just too sad...

A-A

Sadly, it seems like Crystal Meth users are everywhere. My parents retired, and moved up to the California Gold country, and built their dream home in Nevada City. Anyone who has ever been to Nevada City knows what a quaint, charming town it is, filled with tons of beautiful victorian houses.

My parents had to get a P.O. box, because all of the tweakers steal all of the mail out of everyone's mail box. Not just occasionally, but on a daily basis! The police are busting home meth labs on a daily basis, though it seems like their efforts are futile. The Crystal Meth problem is becoming like a plague.

Sad to hear that it's happening to Hawaii as well.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-18 02:10 am   Permalink

Mai Tai is right - tweaker's are everywhere. Hawai'i has the highest level of "ice" users in the entire USA. It is very sad... this place is still beautiful and laid back, but just stay away from Waianae at night!

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlmostHuman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-18 09:15 am   Permalink

What are the gun laws in Hawaii like? Shoot a couple of these assholes and word will get out real quick to stay away.

View Profile of AlmostHuman Send a personal message to AlmostHuman  Email AlmostHuman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-18 10:04 am   Permalink

I find it disconcerting how often references to meth pop up in the periphery of my world lately.

Even more alarming is the tone of normality and even acceptance I am noticing in some younger people I come into contact with. Casual references to someone's room mate, significant other, etc. being on meth, and the tone that it's no big deal, are becoming more frequent.

My background is in photojournalism and I still view myself as a documentarian of lives and events, even when doing commercial portrait work; I record how people really look, wrinkles and all, but in the best light, and I tell customers this upfront. I get the sense that any day now, in someone's family reunion photos, I'm going to be asked to photoshop away someone's meth-stained teeth and I'll have to decide if I give the customer what they want, or faithfully record the signs of the times.

And as for my hobbies, I've been fond of all-night neon sign photo-safaries for years, but am re-thinking that. In the last couple years, from coast to coast, all through the midwest and especially the Southwest, the smiles of the usually merely annoying street people are developing those trademark meth triangles between the teeth, and their behavior is more erratic.

A couple months back, I was wondering if maybe I wasn't like a square parent in an old reefer-madness film. Then a friend of mine who worked the overnight shift in a retail store told me about it taking four cops to subdue one of her shoplifters 'cause the kid felt no pain.

All of which leads back on-topic to theft of tikis, et al. I used to do elaborate lawn displays for Halloween and Christmas, and would alarm some of the plastic blow-molded pieces with those pull-pin activated motel room door alarms that screech at an ungodly decible level. I'd glue the alarm up inside the body of the decoration with JB weld and anchor the pin near the decoration. Nothing ever got stolen because when it would get yanked up, it'd scare the crap out of the thief and would be impossible to get away with stealthily. I'm not sure that'd matter to a meth user.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation