FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Stolen Tiki Alert (Judy @ Bamboo2U Stolen Tiki Pix added 4-19-05)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Stolen Tiki Alert (Judy @ Bamboo2U Stolen Tiki Pix added 4-19-05)
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-18 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:
What are the gun laws in Hawaii like? Shoot a couple of these assholes and word will get out real quick to stay away.

Gun laws are the same as everywhere. And if you shoot 'em, shoot 'em dead and drag them into your house before you dial 911

Quote:
I'd glue the alarm up inside the body of the decoration with JB weld and anchor the pin near the decoration.

I like the alarm-under-the-tiki idea, but the hornets-inside-the-tiki would be just so much more fun to watch!!!

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-19 11:10 pm   Permalink

There are no restrictions that I could find on non-felons owning any type of guns in Hawaii.

Yes, for you Rambos out there, you can get a class 3 weapon there if you want one. Just apply for a federal licence and pick out your weapon, fill out some paperwork, pay a $200 fee. Pretty soon you can be protecting your tikis with belt fed machine guns and a grenade laucher if you need to.

Speaking of extreme tiki protection technology, is there any reason I can not hide a lojack transmitter in a tiki? I'm sure many people on this forum have tikis more valuable than their cars. It would sure take the guess work out of finding a stolen tiki if the lojack people would let you install one.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-20 7:31 pm   Permalink

Speaking of lojack transmitters, is there a reliable chip that allows one's GPS unit (or something similar) to locate it? I read about this a couple years back as an up-and-coming technology aimed at tracking children in case of abduction.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-20 8:30 pm   Permalink

Instead of putting a tracking system in your tiki and then having to go and deal with all the politics of claiming it etc., just make a trap bomb, or a flash bang, etc. I used to have a shop in Santa Ana and our yards would get robbed all the time. My neighbor put a flash/trap under the hood of his truck (they used to steal his battery all the time) and one day we found blood on the ground, under the hood and a finger too! Score!

Booby trapping your outside tikis is the only way.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-20 10:48 pm   Permalink

After gettin some botanicals ripped off (back in the day), we put razor blades in the stalks. Found a little blood one morning which abrubtly halted any further slitherin'. We then told the snake we suspected of doing it that we would next hook up a shot gun trap. Never saw him again.
Can't do that these daze, the guy would hire a lawyer and sue yer ass and win. Oh for the daze!!
Yeah, if somebody gets hurt while ripping you off, you get sued. That's bass ackwards.

[ This Message was edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-12-21 08:17 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MaiTaiMafia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-20 11:12 pm   Permalink

I was just going to say the same thing. Some guy gets hurt stealing your property(by some anti-theft deviced you've installed)and YOU can go to jail! That's why I've never hooked my car's battery up to the door handles! The thief would probably have a cardiac arrest and I'd go to jail for manslaughter...

That's why the hornets-in-the-tiki is so ingenious: no one can never prove that you put them there!!!

View Profile of MaiTaiMafia Send a personal message to MaiTaiMafia  Email MaiTaiMafia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CaseyJPS
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 10:19 am   Permalink

This is all very encouraging, but I'm terribly non-mechanical, so to speak. SOunds like we need a pro-active team to combat the "TLO" .

One of our modern-day carvings was stolen early in 2004, from next to the whirlpool. We have since replaced him with a guy who is buried a considerable distance below his "waterline." There have been quite a few tikis stolen from the tropics over the years (remnants of their foundations still exist). I guess it would be an excellent idea to not only catalog what we have, but work at further securing those we have (and are adding to).

View Profile of CaseyJPS Send a personal message to CaseyJPS  Email CaseyJPS Goto the website of CaseyJPS     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 9:43 pm   Permalink

Casey, here's how I secured the tikis at Whanga Rei Bar and Grill in Turlock.
I used a post hole digger to dig 2 to 3 ft. down. Insert a peeler core or large lodge pole (6 inch dia.) and about 8 ft. long into that hole then pour in concrete. At this time I also layed out a little concrete for the tiki to stand on. You don't want the tiki to touch the ground or it will rot. In the back of the tikis I carved out approx. 6 inches of wood so the lodge pole would fit snug inside. Then fastened it all the way thru with 4 or 5 10" wood bolts. So the bolts go thru the pole and into the tiki. The poles were treated so they won't rot. It would take a lot of time and effort to steal them. I would never ever bury a tiki in the ground with or without concrete around it. The concrete would hold some moisture and rot it also.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-22 09:28 am   Permalink

I know you all love the idea of having a swarm of tiki protecting hornets attacking a would be thief. However, I have to say that it just wouldn't deter them very much. Speaking from my own personal first hand experience with that very thing. When I adopted old 8FT himself, he was outside and (unknown to us) had a whole nest of the stinging buggers inside. As soon as we noticed that, we grabbed a handful of tall grass and shoved it in the opening which cut off the assault. Then I didn't have to deal with them again until after we moved him and I began the restoration process. Even then I only got stung once while I removed the large hornets nest from inside the tiki.

I think it would be funny if you could rig up your outside tikis so that they would just piss all over anyone who jostled them.

[ This Message was edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-12-22 09:29 ]

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-22 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-22 09:28, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I think it would be funny if you could rig up your outside tikis so that they would just piss all over anyone who jostled them.

Your on-line source for Bulk Animal Urine.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-23 5:30 pm   Permalink

SCTikiShack just recently posted this account of his tiki stolen by a bunch of bikers. It ended well, and the tiki lived to tell the tale.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-20 20:30, RevBambooBen wrote:
Instead of putting a tracking system in your tiki and then having to go and deal with all the politics of claiming it etc., just make a trap bomb, or a flash bang, etc. I used to have a shop in Santa Ana and our yards would get robbed all the time. My neighbor put a flash/trap under the hood of his truck (they used to steal his battery all the time) and one day we found blood on the ground, under the hood and a finger too! Score!

Booby trapping your outside tikis is the only way.

OH that is PRICELESS! I usually just let the Rott loose and when he comes back with some material (flesh or fabric makes no difference to me) then I am happy and he gets his treat.

In the State of Ohio, under revised code 4947.01, (as pertaining to P.I.'s & Security Guards)you may use deadly force only when:
1.) You are in Fear of your life or the life of another. (They don't allow for objects, I've already checked!)

Your target must possess:
1.) The INTENT to do you harm,
2.) The ABILITY to harm you,
3.) The OPPORTUNITY to harm you,
4.) And you must feel that your life is in JEOPARDY.

The cause of action must be:
1.) Logical
2.) Reasonable
3.) Neccessary

So, the old 'dragging the body inside trick' doesnt work here...you must 'invite' them inside and then suggest that they possed an immediate threat, had a weapon and clearly intended to utilize that weapon.

Those handy GPS tracking devices are getting more affordable every week - you know, the kinds that you can sneek onto your kids vehicle and see where they are going at any time? Ohhhh yeah, baby! But the booby trap idea is nifty too...until you bump it with the lawn mower and KA-BLEWIE! Nope, I'll stick with the tracking systems, a bad ass dog and several firearms at my disposal.
America is a great country!

Heaven help the poor soul who attempts to steal my tiki's!

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 07:10 am   Permalink

Now it's happened to our friends at "Bamboo2U and Tikis Too".

From this mornings San Diego Union Tribune:
Tikis stolen from North Coast shop

LEUCADIA Sheriff's investigators are looking into the theft of more than a half-dozen tikis over the weekend from a North Coast tropical decorations store.

The tikis, carved from palm trees, were stolen late Friday or early Saturday from outside the Bamboo2U and Tikis Too store on Coast Highway 101, said store owner Judy Swain.

Each tiki is valued at more than $1,000, she said.

The carvings, some of which stand up to 6 feet, were chained together outside the store. Thieves unscrewed the eyebolt in each tiki that held it to the chain, Swain said.

Gregory Alan Gross

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 08:28 am   Permalink

$1000 tikis? WOW

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-04-12 08:31 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-12 09:55 am   Permalink

Judy's cool people. She sold my first tikis for me, and paid up front, not consignment. So I guess she took a big loss here. Does anyone know how to reach her? I lost touch after the shop moved from Oceanside to Leucadia. Maybe we could get some pics posted and see if anyone runs across them.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation