[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Cutting glass floats
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cutting glass floats
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 2:00 pm   Permalink

Has anyone ever tried this? The idea is to suspend a lighted blowfish inside of it, ala the one at Oceanic Arts that they won't sell to me. I'm sure somebody out there has done this before, I ran a search but came up empty. Hook a brotha up!

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 5:08 pm   Permalink

Oddly enough I was getting ready to revive this thread to ask Polynesiac to give me some idea on how he's cutting the floats to make lamps. I understand the glass drill bit part but not the glass cutter part.

Puffer lamp inside a glass float? Sounds great, but what did they do, cut the float in half, insert the fish and glue it back together or did they just cut a really big hole in the top?

I got the glass globes and I'm ready to start drilling and cutting. Need your guidance Polynesiac (or anyone else)!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-14 8:46 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2012-05-01 20:18 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-16 11:56 am   Permalink

I don't know how they made the one at OA but I didn't see any seams,although I wasn't looking too closely, I just knew I wanted it. They must have cut a circle in the top and glued it back very precision-like. I'm gonna try it that way unless anybody has a better idea. The fishbowl of which Chip and Andy spoke would work but the colored ball effect is so cool, and I've never seen a colored fishbowl. Anyhoo, I'll let you know how it turns out.

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-12-16 12:21 pm   Permalink

This is a time consuming method, but it will work. Cut a small one inch hole into the glass float and submerge it into a stable salt water aquarium. Get a baby pufferfish and then grow it inside the sunken float. After a few years, voila!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-16 4:00 pm   Permalink

Kono wrote:
Quote:

Puffer lamp inside a glass float? Sounds great

It is ~

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-12-16 16:00 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-17 12:20 pm   Permalink

I can't find my post about making your own pufferfish lamp, but you can:
  • Catch one yourself (they like corn),
  • skin it while making as small an incision as you can,
  • put an uninflated balloon into the skin,
  • put the skin into the float through the small hole you drilled to put the lamp into the float,
  • blow up the Balloon,
  • tie off the balloon & suspend the puffer in the float so it doesn't touch the sides or bottom,
  • let the puffer dry & cure,
  • deflate & remove the balloon,
  • cut a small hole into the puffer's dorsal region,
  • and insert your light through the hole in the float & into your puffer.

I'll try to find my step-by-step DIY pufferfish lamp instructions, I might still have them around.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-18 4:18 pm   Permalink

DawnTiki, that's the one!! How the $#!+ did they do that? Look closely...no seems, right? I'm stumped but I'm gonna try to make one. Mr. Hakalugi and Mr. Freelance, you were absolutely no help whatsoever(lol)! C'mon, somebody must know how to make one of these puppies. Or is it one of those "closely guarded TIKI secrets" that only "GRAND POOBAS" (or whatever the're called) are allowed to possess? Don't make me beg.

Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-18 7:10 pm   Permalink

I've put a lighted glass float into a puffer fish...if that's any help.

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-12-19 12:07 am   Permalink

I figure that if you ever expect to replace the light bulb, then there must be a hole in the float big enough to remove the pufferfish. No glue should be involved. If you look closely at the photograph, there does appear to be a hole at the top which is very close to the size of the puffer. The hole looks like it is not "centered". I say go back to OA and get an up close look.

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi on 2004-12-19 00:07 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-19 10:41 am   Permalink

Maybe some sort of "lid" on float that does not require glueage, just sets there for more uniform appearance, as netting provides the support...you might be onto something 'Lugi.

Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-20 09:15 am   Permalink

WOW Dawn! Where did you find THAT? Do you own it? Im having a tiki-O!

Luff ya girlie!

Lenore

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-20 11:58 am   Permalink

Silly girl! No the lamp isn't mine It's home is at Oceanic Arts under Bob and Leroy's watchful eye. As it should be. Although the image is my wallpaper on my computer which is in my lounge. So I guess, in a way, it is part of the decor. Glad to see you poking around here Lenore.

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-21 09:20 am   Permalink

Not giving away too many secrets here, but the OA fish float lamps have a 5 inch hole cut in the top, but, that that may not account for the way the puffer in float lamp is done.

There are a lot of different round globes out there. They were much more common 30+ years ago, but should be around now. They would be white though. So you could find a way to color them and add a net and you have the lamp, sans fish, but the lamp part.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 05:27 am   Permalink

Sorry, to beat a dead thread. I been scouring TC for good instructions on just getting the hole in the float but I'm still coming up empty.

Please let me start at the beginning: Got a 12" diameter glass float with rope netting. Don't need to get a whole puffer fish in there, just make a hole about 1 1/2" for a wee light. Do you make the hole at the "navel"?

muito obrigado!

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation