FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Cutting glass floats
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cutting glass floats
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 06:49 am   Permalink

Here's a thread with some instructions from Tiki Jeff on using a diamond drill to cut the float:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=1119&forum=1&hilite=diamond%20drill

And here's one with instructions from Kono from when he made a Suffering Bastard lamp, but I'm sure you could use the same info for a float:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8621&forum=7&hilite=diamond%20drill

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 07:24 am   Permalink

Thanks. Well, I'll either have a lamp to show off or Mrs. Pappy will be taking me for stitches!

BTW, as far as frosting the outside, it would seem to me, the most authentic way to do it would be sandpaper on the outside--no? Isn't the idea of the thing that it rolled around in the surf and for months and months and got frosted on the OUTside?

mahalo,
Pappy

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 10:41 am   Permalink

Hi pappy,

Last year I had a large glass ball blown for me by a local glass blowing shop. They sandblasted the outside giving it a wonderful glow when lit. If you have a local shop they might do it for you at a reasonable price. I paid nothing extra to have mine done.

I've got to get around to posting a picture, all I need to do is darken the rope a little with some tea.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 5:36 pm   Permalink

Wanna see those pics wahine . That lamp on the previous page is sweet

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-20 7:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-20 10:41, Tikiwahine wrote:
Hi pappy,

Last year I had a large glass ball blown for me by a local glass blowing shop. They sandblasted the outside giving it a wonderful glow when lit. If you have a local shop they might do it for you at a reasonable price. I paid nothing extra to have mine done.

I've got to get around to posting a picture, all I need to do is darken the rope a little with some tea.

Thanks, Tikiwahine. I would go that route but I already got
the float and the last thing I wanna do is peel the net that's on there off. I don't think I could get it back on on a bet!

One more question (for anyone): I was planning on making the hole right in the float's belly button where the glass is thickest. Is that the place to do it?

a million thanks,
Pappy

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 08:26 am   Permalink

Go to a stained glass store and get a diamond bit there. You will want to use water on the bit when cutting the hole. Go slow when attempting. The knot on the glass would be the hardest place to cut through. The stress on a glass ball is everywhere.
Wesley

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 12:13 pm   Permalink

Can you stand one more question? It's kind of a big one now that I think of it. The diamond head bits are pretty small. What do I do to get the hole big enough to use? Is it safe to keep nibbling the edges until it's big enough?

thanks,
pappthequestionman

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 3:36 pm   Permalink

I got a solid glass float at Michael's last year to make a lamp and used a dremel diamond bit to cut a hole in it. I used a marker to trace the size of the hole using a quarter as a template.
Using a diamond dremel bit, I traced over the circle until the dremel ate away the glass and I got a hole. Probably took about 30 minutes. I had a little tiny c7 type christmas fixture with prongs and it fit perfect.
Now, I didn't do anything so drastic as a 5 inch hole, so I don't know how that would work. I've heard that glass balls have a lot of stress and that you can shatter it as easily as cut a hole in it.
One of the previous posts about lots of water is good advice. I kept the bit wet the entire time I did mine.
And definitely go slow, don't apply too much pressure. I think not pressing as hard might help keep the float in one piece as you cut it. Did I mention to keep the bit wet? The water helped cut down on the amount of glass dust, too.
I want to see one of those lamps!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 6:14 pm   Permalink

OK! (As soon as I find my Dremel...)

Mahalo everybody.

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-21 6:55 pm   Permalink

Yes you will need to grind out the hole. It may take a little time. Keep water on the bit, it will cut smoother and cleaner. Also it will extend the life of the bit.

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-22 08:07 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: polynesiac 2006-01-02 19:20 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 12:03 pm   Permalink

If you are cutting the float in order to hang a puffer fish lamp in side, you will need to do way more than grind out a hole from a point (like you would a drill). You will need a diamond cutting wheel and cut a round section out. I doubtr that you could grind out a hole that big from the center of a small diamond bit. That would take way too long woudn't it?

As far as netting, that seems to be the big snag for me. I don't know how in the world I'm going to get the net tied back the way it was before!!

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-25 7:00 pm   Permalink

In the end, I think I just did my own thing. I did go through the belly button of the float where the glass was thickest. I just figured this was the toughest spot. I didn't use a diamond cutter or even a Dremel tool. I used a roto zip. I did use lots of water. Cutting at the belly button also provided a depression for the water.

I got up the nerve to untie the top and found I could get the rest of the net off. I knew a real beach-combed float would be rough on the outside so I really didn't give any thought to sandblasting the inside nor any kind of chemical etching or frosting. I just grabbed some sandpaper and went to town. It took all night but was a pretty good upper body workout.

The light was from a busted Christmas candle I got his morning at the flea market for a quarter.

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-25 7:49 pm   Permalink

I planned on doing a couple this week. Then I was wondering will the heat from the bulb crack the glass? What wattage bulb did you use??
I have 3 that I'll do so I'm going with the glass beader. It's much faster!
Wes

Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-25 8:03 pm   Permalink

Pappy - nice looking globe! and a real one to boot! score!

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2006-06-05 13:47 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation