FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 Next Page )
LATSA Picturez! Tiki Table!
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 10:37 am   Permalink

Nice pieces to come !

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SCTikiShack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 11:08 am   Permalink

Surfintiki,

It looks like these pieces are going to be killer. If you spend all your time carving jade, it might keep you out of the water. The waves over here have been epic the last week, but crowded. Good luck on these new tikis.

Be Safe,
Will

View Profile of SCTikiShack Send a personal message to SCTikiShack  Email SCTikiShack Goto the website of SCTikiShack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 2:21 pm   Permalink

SuperG! Cool...Don't remember if you told me that before. Bro' from the hood! Yeah, I think Redney's still there. Ever surf the Cape? Cape's good but Rhodey be bettah! Warmer, with the gulf stream closer and whatnot, more rocky, better point break stuff...but I don't like leaving my turf!! I hear ya on the warm, I did 20 years of surfing in FLA. Doing the hard core cold thing now, looks like you and I did opposite!

Benjamin- Where's your board? France's got the best waves out of the Atlantic, well better than american continental shelf!
Yeah I, m good at getting 'em started, but scared to finish 'em!

Will, my man! Yeah yeah, Cali, Cali. Still working out where I'm going to move to. Not so sure about West Coast anymore, as much as I NEED to be there. I keep yappin' about moving, but haven't yet...hopefully by spring. Right now I'm waiting for my new Nezzy, I ordered out of San Diego...quad, 6' 6". Should be here ANY day!
Loving the idea of stone'n. Less messy than carvin wood, inside, in the winter.
Hang loose brah

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-12 8:17 pm   Permalink

Well Lookee Here, I LOVE that Pink Tub with the clear lid and OH Man that Rainex is an Excellent Idea Why did I not think of it long ago?? Aww Rite, Now you are In Bizniss so lets get some carving finally done.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 08:07 am   Permalink

Surfin, Im loving your stone work right on! keep them coming looks harder to me then wood?

Surfin this summer is in the record books for logged surf time. I just got back from another
week of surfing and IM heading back in a day for another week or so. We are on Strike at Boeing and
im loving it! I feel the stoke about you getting your new 6 6 board cool and the GMAN surfing how
cool is that!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AKUAE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-19 2:02 pm   Permalink

Rockin Stone pieces
I love your MOAI
Bye
Akuae

View Profile of AKUAE Send a personal message to AKUAE  Goto the website of AKUAE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 2:20 pm   Permalink

Well once again, the weekend was filled with this...

it was fun trying to surf with the camera too!

But I did get to some bone action. And I have to say...There's got to be an easier way, than to saw. It takes me 10 minutes to do 4mm. AND I break 7 saw blades. Jewelers hand saw, and good quality blades. Snap, snap, snap. Took me 2 afternoons to cut out the one shape. Will be doing it MUCH differently next time.

Benz, did ya try the Rainx yet?...it may mess up the plexi though.
Seek'n, surf carve surf carve surf carve.
Akuae, Thanks! Have to find time to get back to 'em.
Aloha

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 2:28 pm   Permalink

you needum scroll saw.....no wasteum time handsaw.

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 3:00 pm   Permalink

Yeah G.
Now if I could only get one, scroll saw or a band saw, which should I get? Is a scroll saw just a mini version of a band saw, but with a little blade going up and down...and also a narrower space to fit the wood/bone in...meaning I can't fit wide, say 5" thick pieces in??

T_birdman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 3:47 pm   Permalink

The band saw will make quick cuts to the bone to get your working pieces started, cutting the whole bone down to working-flat or curved pieces. The scroll saw will make nice intricate detail cuts, inside hole cuts after drilling a starting hole, cuts that will allow you to do the finish work afterward. When you use the bandsaw you'll think you're in a dentists office, use a mask! You can get many different scroll saw blades, I like the spiral-any direction blades.

Same as it ever was! (But what looms on the horizon, hmm?)

View Profile of T_birdman Send a personal message to T_birdman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 4:37 pm   Permalink

A coping saw would help, it is like a jewler's saw only more sturdy allowing you still cut curves and inside cuts. You can get them for less than $10 including an assortment of blades, at any hardware store or place that sell wooden trim moldings. A coping saw is what home improvement types use to final fit the trim.

But a bandsaw and scroll saw work wonders. Along with a belt sander to help with rounding the hard corners off.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-21 5:40 pm   Permalink

S,

Get the scroll if you can get only one and if you wanna continue to work small. Get a band if you are going to stop the bonz and need it for wood pieces/larger work.

Check the Bonz thread to see the scroll I got for like 89 bucks. Gman likee.

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 04:35 am   Permalink

Don't lissen to those guyz! You Need a bandsaw, a Scroll saw, A Hack saw, a Coping saw, a Jewelers saw(one that won't break blades!) a Mitre saw , a Table saw and if you find any Other types, you'll NEED those too!

Of course everyone is correct and you will be able to do better with the coping saw than with the jewelers saw unless you get the largest blades for the jewelers saw frame.
I Like the quiet sound of the hack saw because I'm just a hack lol

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-23 5:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks T-Bird
JP & Gmangggggg
Benzer Bonzer- Ya know, I should just face that fact...eventually I will own all that stuff. I really can't spend that money...but I WILL OWN THAT STUFF ANYWAY DAMMIT! Piece by piece. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Hey Benzer, local Home Depot looked at me cross-eyed when I asked about miniature plant hydration. They said possibly at one of their bigger stores. This is a small version here on the Cape.

Well I'm doomed on creating again this weekend. My dad's 83rd B-day, and this...

This will be saturday. Surf surf surf.
I was so physically exhausted from last weekends surf, I shoulda checked into the hospital! It's been a good summer, and better fall.
Sorry for turning this into a surf forum. But these are my excuses for not carving enough.

[ This Message was edited by: surfintiki 2008-09-23 17:41 ]

AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-23 7:20 pm   Permalink

I know from experience that carving and surfing can coexist. Wait a minute - I live in South Florida and never get surf. Crap! Never mind. Carving waves or wood its all good!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation