FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » California Events » » December 31 2004
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
December 31 2004
ookoo lady
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 7:57 pm   Permalink

Its not just the discount (although that would be nice). We need to make sure the management is OK with very noisy room parties that last all night. Hopefully they can arrange to have one section set aside just for Tiki Central.

View Profile of ookoo lady Send a personal message to ookoo lady      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 8:20 pm   Permalink

Good point -- last year it was more about the company, and the carte blanche to goof off, than the discount. The hotel was pretty empty last year, and Casey took care to put us together so there was plenty of buffer and we (hopefully!) didn't disturb any other guests.

Of course, this has to happen this year without Casey's involvement, but ideally the hotel management would see the benefit in having a lot of paying customers on a weekend where otherwise they may have very few, and would work with us to block us off so we wouldn't disturb others. (Who's trying to sleep at midnight on New Year's Eve, anyhow?)

The thing is, many of the attendees from last year are longtime Caliente Tropics customers; the majority of us have spent time at the Caliente not just during the Oasis event, but for our own personal vacations, as well. I'm sad that Casey's relationship with the Caliente has soured, but that doesn't impact my interest in supporting tiki where I find it. I would hope that the hotel would continue to be supportive of our desires to support them.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-22 8:27 pm   Permalink

well, I wouldn't say ALL of us want to have a room in a "noisy" section. some of us old folks just can't party til dawn any more like you crazy young uns...

too bad there can't be "noisy party" wings and "quiet old fart" wings of every hotel...

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 8:32 pm   Permalink

Hmmm.

Well, if the management of the Caliente decide not to be (CENSORED)...uh, major potato-butts this New Year's, I think we might just have to go.

In other news...this picture:

would appear to be a still from that wonderful classic film "Monsieur Hulot's Tiki Holiday." (starring Jacques "Martiki" Tatiki and the estimable M. Hanford LeMoore.)

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-22 8:59 pm   Permalink

You know...it might just drag me out to Cali this year. Me and Nikki will talk to you guys about it at Hukilau.. And doesn't Casey owe me 23 bucks?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-09-22 9:06 pm   Permalink

WooHooo! Soccer Tiki and I are there!!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 10:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-22 20:27, dangergirl299 wrote:
well, I wouldn't say ALL of us want to have a room in a "noisy" section. some of us old folks just can't party til dawn any more like you crazy young uns...

too bad there can't be "noisy party" wings and "quiet old fart" wings of every hotel...

I'll drink to that!!
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bare
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-23 12:13 pm   Permalink

I guess I should go get tested too.

View Profile of Tiki Bare Send a personal message to Tiki Bare      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krustiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 1:11 pm   Permalink

Old Fart's Area? What the .... ? Thats why on the second day of creation the great tiki in the sky created ear plugs.
I will bring a case...of ear plugs for the geriatric central members. This old fart is more worried about the hangover. I did not see the light of day until 4 pm New Years Day, I hurt more than Tiki Bares hind quarters. I missed the free lunch. But I wouldn't miss doing it all over again.

[ This Message was edited by: Krustiki 2005-09-23 13:12 ]

View Profile of Krustiki Send a personal message to Krustiki  Email Krustiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2005-09-23 1:30 pm   Permalink

Gosh, I guess I'm just mystified why hotel management would be so reluctant to host TC events when so many folks exhibit the easy to swallow attitude of "hey, we're going to take over all weekend, party and drink and play music and holler all night long, abuse innocent stuffed animals and not be considerate at all for anyone who dares to want to sleep during the dark hours..."

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 2:02 pm   Permalink

Hey now, I'm definitely not talking about wanting to disturb other guests. From talking to Casey during last year's event, the hotel is pretty dead every New Year's Eve, which is why he wanted to run the promotion in the first place. My understanding was that he was able to put all of us together on one side of the hotel, well away from the few other guests. He's done the same thing for us at Oasis in the past -- a "quiet" side and a "noisy" side of the hotel. Perhaps last year he didn't know that some in our group wanted to be on the quiet side, but that certainly could be rectified this year. I'm sorry if we kept you up last year.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 5:11 pm   Permalink

Well, and I think it's important to remember we ARE talking about New Year's Eve, here. It's not exactly a normal evening, and it's probably safe to say most people aren't observing normal bedtimes anyway.

In any case, I don't see that there should be any difficulty securing rooms on the quiet side for those who need 'em! It's understandable that not everyone is "lucky" (HA) like me, able to fall asleep at an ear-splittingly loud live punk show.

(Needless to say, folks thinking I'd OD'd and getting ready to call an ambulance WAS a bit embarrassing.)

tikivixen

p.s. Mind you, I'm not bringing my plush armadillo.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 5:35 pm   Permalink

Somebody get this event going, pu-leeeaase!!! Coco Loco and I will definitely go!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Krustiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-23 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-23 13:30, dangergirl299 wrote:
Gosh, I guess I'm just mystified why hotel management would be so reluctant to host TC events when so many folks
....to paraphrase "are not" end paraphrase ... considerate at all for anyone who dares to want to sleep during the dark hours..."

Since New Years Eve is just 10 days after the winter solstice, the shortest day of the year, and "Civil Sundown" is at 4:53 p.m. on December 31, 2005. I guess it would be considered rude to celebrate the passing passing of the old and coming of the New Year 7 hours after the members of Geriatric Central consider it nighty-night time. My humblest apologies. Perhaps Lawrence Welk Caliente would be a better location for you. A one-a and a two-a....

View Profile of Krustiki Send a personal message to Krustiki  Email Krustiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2005-09-26 10:01 am   Permalink

Jokes about geriatrics and ear plugs aside, here are my thoughts based on my experience as a risk-averse former property manager:

We like Caliente Tropics. Caliente Tropics used to be managed by the very cool Casey who would go out of his way to make sure we had a good time and allowed us to do things that your average hotel manager wouldn’t allow guests to do (e.g. noisy room parties, etc.) Your average hotel manager owes every guest a duty of “quiet enjoyment” of his or her room, especially during quiet hours, which are typically 10 pm to 8 am. This probably includes even holidays. Guests who violate these rules may be reprimanded or even asked to leave.

I am concerned that if we just converge upon Caliente Tropics and do whatever the hell we feel like doing, we run the risk of some of us getting kicked out or further alienating the TC group from the new management.

I would suggest that someone with a professional demeanor contact the new management and negotiate the new years weekend, providing assurances that a couple rooms would like to host a get together that may last until dawn, and these rooms should be placed at one end, but that the rest of the rooms will follow quiet hours rules. Also, we will be considerate about noise and trash in common areas. We will make no mention of wanting to bring our own (mellow, traditional Hawaiian-style) band until closer to the event, once the new management has become comfortable with us. We will assure them that we are much smaller and much more mellow than the Oasis crowd.

This may sound like a buzzkill, but if we are on best behavior for THIS event, we can win the management over so that they will be more supportive of us for future events.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has actually worked on hotel management as to whether such efforts are a good idea.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation