FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Lamprey Quiz for the New Year
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Lamprey Quiz for the New Year
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-23 4:31 pm   Permalink

Question #5 is remarkably similar to question #4, so to conquer redundancy - we will proceed directly to Question #6.

6. Of the fish caught and not killed by the sea lamprey at the height of the Great Lakes lamprey invasion, 100% exhibited wounds.
True or False?

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-23 5:05 pm   Permalink

Lampreys are hagfish. In that one word I've said it.
I only know one item to their credit.
The early English had good cause to love them;
Wicked King John died from a surfeit of them.

-- Ogden Nash

Personally, I like lamprey. The best solution to many "infestation" problems is simply to eat the offending beast. I've eaten smoked lamprey in Germany, and it was excellent. I believe there is a tradition in England that the reigning monarch is served Lamprey Pie for Christmas each year ... or was that New Years? In any case, I think I'll have a tee made that says "EAT MORE LAMPREY".

Cheers!

http://www.cybertiki.com

[ This Message was edited by: cybertiki on 2004-12-23 17:06 ]

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-23 5:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-23 14:12, freddiefreelance wrote:
African or European Lamprey?

Laden with, or without, coconuts?

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-24 12:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-23 17:05, cybertiki wrote:
I believe there is a tradition in England that the reigning monarch is served Lamprey Pie for Christmas each year_______________

That would obviously be the European Lamprey, whereas in deepest, darkest Africa the reigning Mau Mau monarch is served the Africanized Lamprey. It's a small world after all.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-26 10:00 am   Permalink

Question 6: The correct answer is False.
Not all fish were victims of the sea lamprey; however, 85% of the fish caught exhibited wounds.

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-26 10:01 am   Permalink

7. Despite efforts to market the sea lamprey as an edible delicacy, the eel-like lamprey remains revolting and holds no economic value.
True or False?

ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-26 3:10 pm   Permalink

#7: False

I'm having lamprey, lamprey, lamprey, lamprey, lamprey, eggs, and lamprey.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-26 7:02 pm   Permalink

Question 7: The correct answer is True.
Efforts to entice people to eat sea lamprey have not been successful despite some mouth-watering recipes that are now available.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-26 7:03 pm   Permalink

8. The Great Lakes fishing industry makes up to $4 billion/year and provides the area with 75,000 jobs, both of which are in danger from the sea lamprey invasion.
True or False?

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-26 7:51 pm   Permalink

I'd say true, but if they just caught and sold Lamprey instead of Trout... hey, problem solved!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 09:19 am   Permalink

Question 8: The correct answer is True.
The sea lamprey threatens a $4 billion/year fishing industry, jeopardizing 75,000 jobs annually.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 09:20 am   Permalink

9. As an adult, the parasitic sea lamprey can destroy up to 40 pounds of fish.
True or False?

Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-27 10:43 am   Permalink

Hmmm... I'm going to say 'true' - it is a commonly known fact that the a sea lamprey lives one to one-and-a-half years as an adult, killing up to 18 kg (thats 40 lbs.) of fish before it returns to a river to spawn and die.

Lamprey in Brewet
1 Good Sized Lamprey or Eel
140g (5oz) Butter
3 fl White Wine
1 tbsp Mixed Sweet Herbs, chopped
tsp Ground Ginger
tsp Cloves
Salt and Pepper

Soak the lamprey in salted water for about 4 hours.
Drain and wash well.
Cook in boiling salted water for 15 minutes (an eel will take a further 10 minutes or so).
Drain, allow to cool.
Skin and cut into chunks about 3.5 cm (2 inches) thick.
Melt the butter in a heavy frying pan adding the spices and seasoning
Fry the lamprey for about 5 minutes on each side (an eel will take a little longer).
Add the wine and herbs to the pan and bring to the boil, scraping the base of the pan to release the juices.
Adjust the seasoning to taste.
Serve the lamprey (or eel) with the sauce accompanied by hot white bread.

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 11:40 am   Permalink

Question 9: The correct answer is True.
One sea lamprey has a voracious appetite destroying up to 40lbs of fish throughout its lifespan.

Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 11:42 am   Permalink

10. The sea lamprey can live anywhere from 50-100 years, all of which are spent as a parasite, feeding on fish.
True or False?

This is the final question of the Lamprey Quiz for the New Year.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation