FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums ╗ ╗ Bilge ╗ ╗ What does everyone like to read?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
What does everyone like to read?
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-26 11:56 pm   Permalink

What people like to read is bilge, but what we got for Christmas is not?

Can someone please 'splain the difference between Off Topic and Bilge?

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 01:52 am   Permalink

In keeping with the Bilge tradition, I'm reading Modern Drunkard Magazine.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 3:18 pm   Permalink

Just finished "Sock" by Penn Gillete (yeah, the guy from penn & teller)

Weird serial killer novel told from the point of view of a sock monkey puppet who likes to quote pop music in every paragraph.

Actually dug it quite a bit, but may not be for everyone....for those interested in stanger fare, check it out.

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-12-27 9:35 pm   Permalink

Here are some of the better writing (and picture looking) that I have experienced this past week......

- Nick Hornby's 'Songbook' collection of essays about his favorite songs is very good - some of the best music criticism I have ever read.

- I just finished Volume 1 of the 7 volume, 3300 page 'Rising Up and Rising Down' by William Vollman. And I must say that I am impressed, and looking forward to reading the other 6 volumes. Highly recommended for those interested in a serious and not-light-hearted look at history, philosophy, ethics, death, and murder, as Vollman addresses the issue of 'When is it justified for individuals and nations to use violence.' The publishers recently came out with a single condensed volume that may be more accessible to most people.

- and to keep my mind and body light-hearted, I've just paged through volumes 1 and 2 of 'The History of Men's Magazines' (my Xmas gift to myself - volumes 3 -6 will be released later) I haven't read the essays yet - just looked at the pictures, as I am a fan of vintage glamour and beauty. Check out some of the sample pages at
http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/books/sex/new/facts/03830.htm
http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/books/sex/new/facts/03812.htm

Another big winner from the same publisher responsible for 'The Book of Tiki.'

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
exotica59
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 9:49 pm   Permalink

I like to read just about anything. If I'm in the bathroom without something good to read, I'll read the bowl cleaner bottle, the tissue box anything! I enjoy reading the New York times best sellers, old 50's cataloges, old house decorating books, old how to books as well as current titled DYI.books written by explorers (just finished a good one by Carolyn Mytinger) Old cook books, drink books, the list goes on...

View Profile of exotica59 Send a personal message to exotica59  Email exotica59     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beatnikine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-12-28 4:02 pm   Permalink

'Rising Up and Rising Down' -- at 7 volumes, this sounds like a true labor of love; I'm going to have to look into that set.

Right now I'm reading Soren Kierkegaard's 'Practice in Christianity' (Anti-Climacus,!!) Paul Johnson's 'A History of Christianity' and 'On Playing the Flute' by Johann Joachim Quantz.

View Profile of Beatnikine Send a personal message to Beatnikine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 8:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-26 19:53, TikiGoddess wrote:
I just finished Jackie Susann's "The Love Machine" and now Im reading "The Danger" by Dick Francis. When I finish that I'll start "Popism: The Warhol 60's."

TikiGoddess, I've got a copy of "The Love Machine" (although I haven't read it yet). My last wife was a Jackie Susann freak. I've still got her copy of one of the original "Valley Of The Dolls" scripts.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 10:42 pm   Permalink

My favorite books are in order:

Ask The Dust
Pimp

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 8:14 pm   Permalink

I was just diving for pearls in the depths of Bilge and found this thread. I'm assuming new posts to it ended a little over five years ago because that's when Bibliostream went global and most of us stopped reading books and started getting them beamed directly into our mindports. Or something like that.

I'm reading
A Handful of Dust* by Evelyn Waugh. It was published in 1934 and is a contemporary story of that time about a group of more-or-less upper class "friends" in England (none of them, as of yet, very admirable). A book one can read with either tea or gin.

*Don't go to this page if you have any plans to read the book. I was just glancing over it and saw a major plot point given away which I haven't yet reached in my reading. I guess I'd better catch up.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-15 8:20 pm   Permalink

Right now, anything by James Herriot.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
talo ka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 6:02 pm   Permalink

i like to read the cereal box and do the mazes. just finished tony bourdain's kitchen confidential. recently re-read the douglas addams trilogy, also re-reading the art of war.

View Profile of talo ka Send a personal message to talo ka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HelloTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-24 7:18 pm   Permalink

Carlos Ruiz Zafon. The best writer out there.

View Profile of HelloTiki Send a personal message to HelloTiki  Email HelloTiki Goto the website of HelloTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-25 07:58 am   Permalink

i like reading books.

i have shelves for them.

you can read the titles on the spine.

"Despotism-A Pictorial history of tyranny" by
get this...
DAGOBERT D. Runes

almost done...

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-25 08:54 am   Permalink

Reading now:
Herman Melville Typee
Weirdo Magazine
LOCAS The Maggie and Hopey Stories by Jaime Hernandez

New Clasicks (for me)
V.A.L.I.S. the last book that blew my mind.
Short history of nearly everything by that Bill Bryson guy

All time favorites...
Anything by Hermann Hesse (duh!)
Jorge Luis Borges
etc...

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs Bamboo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-27 6:15 pm   Permalink

My niece encouraged me to read her Twilight series. I'm on the 3rd book (4 in the series) and I'm enjoying the story.

View Profile of Mrs Bamboo Send a personal message to Mrs Bamboo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation