[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Navy Grog recipes
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Navy Grog recipes
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 07:09 am   Permalink

To put this thread back on the Navy Grog track, let me tell this story. This last weekend in Las Vegas, I visited a new place that opened in the Mirage, the Rhumbar. They specialize in both classic and new rum drinks. After sampling the Mai Tai (which was the TV recipe), I asked if they did any Tropical drinks off the menu. They said sure we can make you whatever you want. I then requested a Navy Grog. The bartender replied "I've never heard of that" but looked it up in something titled "The Bartender's Black Book". She then said "sorry, we don't do blended drinks". (!!)

Here's the exact recipe that she showed me:

1 cup of ice
1 oz light rum
1 oz dark rum
1 oz Demerarra rum
.5 oz OJ
.5 oz guava or passion fruit juice
.5 oz pineapple juice
.5 oz fresh lime juice
.5 oz orgeat syrup

Blend until smooth. Garnish with lime and mint sprig.

[ This Message was edited by: JOHN-O 2010-04-20 07:53 ]

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 10:29 am   Permalink

A Navy Grog at Trader Vics and Dons isn't blended.
hmmmmmmm?

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-20 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-04-20 07:09, JOHN-O wrote:
Here's the exact recipe that she showed me:

At least it sounds yummy! Maybe we can give it a new name, the Navy Grog Frappe!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 10:45 am   Permalink

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good online source for hard rock candy swizzle sticks? I see several on Amazon, but some have really mixed reviews. And I'd prefer to order around a dozen rather 72 or a gross.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 11:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-25 10:45, arriano wrote:
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good online source for hard rock candy swizzle sticks? I see several on Amazon, but some have really mixed reviews. And I'd prefer to order around a dozen rather 72 or a gross.

Trader Joe's has been carrying them very recently - in 6-packs, if I remember right.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-25 1:20 pm   Permalink

For rock candy swizzle sticks, just head to your nearest ol' timey candy store, I've even seen them in some of the local car washes. I buy mine by the box of 72, but the candy stores, car washes (even the hospital gift shop) sell them individually or in packs of six.

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-26 09:58 am   Permalink

Thanks Croe, I'll check out TJ's. And Blue Kahuna, I apparently need to move to your town.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-02 6:38 pm   Permalink

Bali Hai menu:

Myers Dark
Ron Rico Light
Grand Marnier
Cruzan 151
Sweet n Sour
Pineapple

Thoughts???

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-03 3:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-02 18:38, hang10tiki wrote:
Bali Hai menu:

Myers Dark
Ron Rico Light
Grand Marnier
Cruzan 151
Sweet n Sour
Pineapple

Thoughts???

Jon

Thoughts about what? The measurements? The ingredients? The taste?

As a cocktail, it's fine even though it doesn't taste like a Navy Grog, specifically because of the omission of grapefruit juice. If I were going to recreate it I'd guess 1 oz of each ingredient (well, maybe 1/2 oz of Grand Marnier and maybe slightly more pineapple juice). Blend with ice and serve.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2013-03-03 15:21 ]

heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-03-03 7:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-25 10:45, arriano wrote:

I went for the 72 and ordered from the very appetizingly-named
BulkFoods.com.

Good price per unit, and I knew I'd get through 72 eventually.

kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 10:57 am   Permalink

Beachbum Berry and Cocktail Kingdom have created a Navy Grog Ice Cone tool:

http://beachbumberry.com/

Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 3:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-06-20 10:57, arriano wrote:
Beachbum Berry and Cocktail Kingdom have created a Navy Grog Ice Cone tool:

http://beachbumberry.com/

And it works very well! It's easier than using a pilsner glass because it's open at both ends so you can run your chopstick or whatever you use to make the straw hole through very easily. The Beachbum Berry ice cone mold comes with a metal ramming tool but it's too thin think and I'm back to using the trusty old chopstick.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dapuma1
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-20 9:00 pm   Permalink

That cone is very cool

I would also like to see the mold they use for a Dr Funk (the ice mold that the glass is in) the bartender at TV used to put my puka puka in that glass and it was awesome

View Profile of Dapuma1 Send a personal message to Dapuma1      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-21 08:35 am   Permalink

I was interested in the cone maker at first for $18. But with shipping costs it came out to $30 and that's when I decided I really didn't need it.

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-24 12:14 am   Permalink

Pilsner glass vs. ice cone mold: Which method is best?

The very unscientific research is posted here, along with a couple of my favorite recipes ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/06/11/navy-grog-ice-cone-lost-art-is-revived-by-cocktail-enthusiasts-handy-gadget/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation