FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge What's up with those Captain Morgan TV ads??
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
What's up with those Captain Morgan TV ads??
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-27 11:22 pm   Permalink

What the hell?!? OK, I like Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, I do, but those commercials make me wanna empty my bottles into the toilet and never buy it again. You've seen 'em, the ones where everybody lifts their leg like they're pissing on a fire hydrant. But we're supposed to think there's an "imaginary rum barrel" their foot rests upon...not to make this another "hate and sucks" topic, but I HATE it and it SUCKS!! So there!

PS I wasn't sure if I should post this on the Bilge Forum 'cause I'm quite liquored up (on Pink Martini's, NOT Captain Morgan) but it is kinda Beyond Tiki, it's such a blurry line. So ta speak.(what about a "Beyond Bilge" forum?)

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 12:33 am   Permalink

THANK YOU!! I've been waiting for someone to mention those idiotic ads.

Is spiced rum used in *any* legitimate tiki drinks?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 12:49 am   Permalink

I think they are brilliant 'cause the ametuer drunks and frat boyz will start imitating this pose while intoxicated, fall over and knock themselves out. Call it thinnin' the herd...

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2004-12-28 01:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-28 00:33, cynfulcynner wrote:

THANK YOU!! I've been waiting for someone to mention those idiotic ads.

Is spiced rum used in *any* legitimate tiki drinks?

None whatsoever.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 11:30 am   Permalink

To me, Captain Morgan rum is like a tiki with one of those bad 80's "carnival" paint jobs.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 12:12 pm   Permalink

I know this is a bit off topic, but I have a bottle of Trader Vic's Spiced Rum that I think tastes like the inside of a gym shoe. Just awful.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sinner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 4:30 pm   Permalink

I'll trade ya for a bottle of Ouzo

View Profile of sinner Send a personal message to sinner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 7:46 pm   Permalink

I was a bit aroused by the unlikely "best-friends mother" featured in one of the commercials. I like spiced rum in limited quantities -- I've actually made a modified Zombie with Sailor Jerry's. Of all available spiced rums, Cap'n Morgan's isn't my first choice but i don't mind the commercials.

I caught my one-year-old in the midst of the "Stance" in question. I asked if he had a little Captain in'm to which he replied, "Addun-Da!"(?)
-FB

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 9:12 pm   Permalink

ARRRRRRR! I ain't no advertisin' executive or nothin' but I think a much better Capt'n Morgan's Spiced Rum comercial woulda been the pirates from the D-land "Pirates of the Carribean" ride chasin' the wench arund in a circle but she's got a bottle of Capt'n Morgan's in'er hand & THAT's what the pirates are after and not her...er...whatever everybody thinks they're after. All those who're with me on this say "Aye Aye" er I'll see ya in Davey Jone's locker! ARRRRRRR

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 9:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-27 23:22, tikitortured wrote:
What the hell?!? OK, I like Captain Morgan Spiced Rum, I do, but those commercials make me wanna empty my bottles into the toilet and never buy it again. You've seen 'em, the ones where everybody lifts their leg like they're pissing on a fire hydrant. But we're supposed to think there's an "imaginary rum barrel" their foot rests upon...not to make this another "hate and sucks" topic, but I HATE it and it SUCKS!! So there!

I think you're all gonna have to take this up with the original "Captain" Crazy.........

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-28 10:02 pm   Permalink

Being one of those 'evil advertising exectuives' myself, I wish I had seen these offedning ads so I could comment! I guess they only run in the US. Sound horrid. But so horrid they are funny, perhaps?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-29 09:41 am   Permalink

I think "funny" is what the ad geeks were going for but failed miserably. Maybe a third grader would get a chuckle or two out of it, but not me, and I'm REALLY immature at times (just look at some of my posts!). For those of you that DO like spiced rum, try REDRUM, it adds a little "sumthin' sumthin'" to yer Mai-Tai's (check out www.redrum.com ).
And while we're talking about it, why are ALL the hard alcohol commercials so lame? C'mon people, start buying their products so they can afford to make a good commercial or two! (Maybe when cigarette commercials become legal again they'll do a better job at seducing our youth into partaking in the many vices of life).

View Profile of tikitortured Send a personal message to tikitortured  Email tikitortured Goto the website of tikitortured     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitortured
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-29 4:52 pm   Permalink

I meant Voodoo spiced rum, but Redrum is good in a Mai-Tai too.

stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-31 02:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-12-28 22:02, tikifish wrote:
Being one of those 'evil advertising exectuives' myself, I wish I had seen these offedning ads so I could comment! I guess they only run in the US. Sound horrid. But so horrid they are funny, perhaps?

Here's the original label

here's a small picture from an ad (sorry I couldn't find a bigger one)

The premise is once you "get a little Captain in ya" you strike a pose...

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-31 07:26 am   Permalink

I'll take a bottle of Mount Gay any time. I don't know what people use Captain Morgans for. And, yes, those commercials are the pits. I really liked that "thinning the herd" comment. Right on the money.

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation