advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Sumatra Kula
Sumatra Kula
Rumpire

Posted: 2004-12-29 10:12 am   Permalink

Several tiki histories mention that one of the first drinks served at Don the Beachcomber's in Los Angeles was a Sumatra Kula. (It cost 25.)

But I haven't found a recipe for it - it's not in Beachbum Berry's two books, or in the Don the Beachcomber book by Arnold Bitner and Phoebe Beach, or others.

Anyone know what was in it?

View Profile of Rumpire Send a personal message to Rumpire  Email Rumpire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-02 9:20 pm   Permalink

1/2oz lime juice
1/2oz grapefruit juice
1/2oz orange juice
1 1/2 oz light puerto rican rum ( or Cuban) Sshhh Bacardi
1/4oz honey melted with 1/4oz water
put in blender adding 3oz crushed ice
blend for five seconds
pour
drink

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-03 07:08 am   Permalink

You musn't have "Sippin' Safari" then...that's where the recipe is.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-20 10:08 am   Permalink

As with all Beachcomber recipes, this one apparently went through several revisions over the years. Shown on one menu costing $1.20, it lists the following ingredients: "Mellow, Old Philippine Rum, native wild berry liqueur, and juice of a lime."

I'm curious as to what the wild berry liqueur was.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-10 4:55 pm   Permalink

You can still order a Sumatra Kula that follows the vintage recipe at the Tiki-Ti in Hollywood, open since 1961.

And The Mai-Kai in Fort Lauderdale has had a version of the drink called the Malayan Mist on its menu since 1956.

For more of the history of this classic, click here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/10/05/mai-kai-cocktail-review-a-malayan-mist-ery/

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Quince_at_Dannys
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 2:57 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Ti Sumatra Kula is a gorgeous bright green, and tastes great! I asked Mike Jr. a couple nights ago, and he said it was some secret Green Passion Fruit syrup. I don't think it's the Fee Bros, since that stuff has a not-so-subtle phony mint flavor; maybe it's the green fassionola. Or it could be some homemade stuff. Or he could be throwing a green red herring in my path.

Other than the green look the Tiki Ti version of the Sumatra Kula is similar in flavor to their other family of "Kula" drinks: QB Kula, Planters Kula, Barbados Kula. Probably the same base of juices and sweeteners with a variance in the rum selection. An ambitious Tiki Ti regular could probably backwards engineer them all using the known recipes that are out there and tweaking appropriately

View Profile of Quince_at_Dannys Send a personal message to Quince_at_Dannys      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 09:04 am   Permalink

That was interesting, i`d love to know what that green (?) passionfruit syrup is...how can a passion fruit syrup be green btw? normal passion fruit color is orange...sounds delicious tho! and i like green drinks...

Also, does anyone know what the "kula" means or where it comes from?

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation