FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge What, no Artie Shaw fans.
What, no Artie Shaw fans.
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2004-12-31 7:39 pm   Permalink

RIP.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-31 7:45 pm   Permalink

Honestly I thought he was already dead. And with all of the death and destruction in the last week, I think a good deal of people are just plain numb.

It is a shame, another name to add to those we lost this year...

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-12-31 8:16 pm   Permalink

Artie Shaw ... I honestly thought he had already passed away.

Man, his Begin the Beguine was just the best. Anyone who hears that and doesn't get chills down their spine and want to spend all night dancing with someone, that person must be a pretty poor excuse for a human being.

94. Wow. Made a nice pile of dough. Married beautiful women. Thought there was something a little disturbing about Frank Sinatra and Bing Crosby, way before anyone else did.

Here's to you, Artie.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-01 03:24 am   Permalink

Found out about his passing over dinner tonight while doing a gig with a bunch of jazz cats. They did some of his tunes as a tribute; sadly not many of the NYE revelers in attendance 'got it'.

The man's contribution can't be overstated.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ecm
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-02 1:43 pm   Permalink

to me , the count was the man. but the world is always a lesser place , when an innovator leaves.

View Profile of ecm Send a personal message to ecm  Email ecm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the75stingray
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-02 7:41 pm   Permalink

Like you guys, I was surprised to hear that Artie was not already deceased.
I loved his music! Grew up on alot of that older stuff and it gave me a great (if not obscure) sence of musical appreciation.

Shaw, Goodman, the Dorseys...so many of those older big band / swing artists were (and are) my favorites.

I was sorry to hear of his pasing, but...yeah, I thought he was already gone.

Salute!

View Profile of the75stingray Send a personal message to the75stingray      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suicide_sam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-02 9:58 pm   Permalink

A cool frined of mine named Marisa was hit on by Artie Shaw. The way she tells me the story she was about 19 at the time and met Artie Shaw at a party and he put his arm around her waist, pressed up close to her, adn said, "You would be fun to have around the house".

Thsi was about 5 years ago.

God bless you Artie Shaw.

View Profile of suicide_sam Send a personal message to suicide_sam  Email suicide_sam Goto the website of suicide_sam ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-03 06:33 am   Permalink

Sam-that story pretty much sums up how he treated women.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation