Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My Tiki Bar Christmas Gift
My Tiki Bar Christmas Gift
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-04 04:34 am   Permalink

Hi there. I'm new to the board and love reading about all things tiki. I built my brother in law a tiki bar for Christmas. He really liked it. Here's a few pics(I hope they come through!)

I can't wait to build another one for myself. Did anyone else give tiki gifts for Christmas this year?

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-04 04:39 am   Permalink

Well I got the pictures in there, but they sure are small. How do I enlarge them? Thanks for any help.

View Profile of JimTandem Send a personal message to JimTandem  Email JimTandem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-04 04:39 am   Permalink

Welcome Jim,
That bar looks really good. Congratulations. Make yourself another, have a drink, and have fun in Tikicentral.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-04 10:46 am   Permalink

Jim -- go to Help/FAQ and it explains how to get photos in here. Kind of finicky, but one gets used to it. There's also a "test message" area to play around in until you get the hang of it.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-04 12:43 pm   Permalink

I went to the test area and practiced enlarging the pics( thanks Satan)...so here goes...

The bartop I got at a tent sale for 25 bucks..

Heres the plywood surfboard/martini glass rack shelf up above the bar...

Me...
Thanks to my wife for the extra hands when I needed them!

Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-04 12:58 pm   Permalink

Looks awsome! You must really like your brother in law...

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-01-04 13:00 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-04 1:09 pm   Permalink

Excellent work -- if it were mine, I'd start looking for a tiki mask of some sort to put on the front!

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 06:17 am   Permalink

Terrific bar,Jim! You've certainly come to the right place to have people oooh and aaahh over your bar-beautiful job!

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 11:31 am   Permalink

Very nice! I love the "Surfboard" glasss rack in the rafters! Great idea.
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 06:54 am   Permalink

Super looking bar. All that it needs is Rum and coconuts.
HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iamsjn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-02-01 08:14 am   Permalink

FANTASTIC BAR JIM!
I might have to 'borrow' that surfboard glass rack idea! If I use it, I'll be sure to give you the credit.

That tabletop looks great! Gettin thirsty over here!

SJN

View Profile of iamsjn Send a personal message to iamsjn  Email iamsjn Goto the website of iamsjn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilee
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-01 10:53 am   Permalink

Jim your bar is great. Are you just really handy or have you built a few of these before. Don't tell me this was your first (Even if it is just tell me otherwise) Also how long did it take you.

Welcome to Tiki Central

View Profile of tikilee Send a personal message to tikilee  Email tikilee Goto the website of tikilee     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JimTandem
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 12:37 am   Permalink

Thanks to all for the kind words.
Tikilee, sorry to say that yes, this was my first one. It took me about 4 good weekends to build, I was just wingin' it and only had pics from this site and the internet to pattern it after. Plus many trips to Homedepot or Orchards for small stuff, plywood, drill bits, lag bolts, etc. that would pop up as I went along. I'm lucky enough to be close enough to Oceanic Arts and Bensons Imports for the bamboo, thatch, and matting.
I ended up joining the bamboo with "L" brackets as I just didn't have the time or enough tools to join them with holes and glue. I got a "lot" of 100 brackets with screws on Ebay and used almost every one! I really over bracketed that thing but I figured better safe than sorry, and it turned out the bamboo framework was really solid when done. I covered all the joints with burlap wrap from the craft store and anchored it with a hot glue gun. Then I completely soaked each wrapped joint with marine varnish till they were dripping. It took 3 days for them to dry out, but when they did they were rock hard. I'm hoping they hold up ok in the weather, so we'll see. I tried initially to wrap the joints with sisal rope...no way!....and I was in the Navy! There must be a secret to the rope wrap and I ain't got it! My pics show the burlap looking like two different colors, that because i used two different brands of varnish on them, a mistake for sure, but I ran out of time before Christmas.
I figure all told about $250 dollars for all the materials. Now that I got that one under my belt and learned what to do and not to do, I'm sure the next one will go quicker.
I say give it a go, I'm in no way a craftsman or wood worker so if i can, you can too! When I started, my wife thought I was nuts. But as the project progressed, she started getting into it as it began taking shape. P.S. noteworthy is giving up the one side of my garage that i can park a car in for one whole month. Thanks, wifey, for understanding!

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation