FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving My 1st small scale tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
My 1st small scale tiki
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-05 6:18 pm   Permalink

Surfintiki, I'm using a Nikon CoolPix 950. It's more than a few years old and only has 2 megapixels,but great for Macros. Thanks.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 11:12 am   Permalink

My hook blade and handle just arrived. I'll give it a try and keep you posted on progress, flesh wounds, etc.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 11:53 am   Permalink

Can't wait Raffertiki, but please be careful. It was not very fair of me to show you how to do that complicated eye. After I posted it I thought "what an Ass I am for doing that"
here are some pix of a carving half done that was done Only with the hook blades. The trick is to lay out your carving so that all you do is cut "V" lines. Some deep and some not. After you get the basic shape in all V lines, then you startshaping the eye, nose and mouth, still with the hook blade
I will try to go thru the other side step by step...maybe.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 12:26 pm   Permalink

hey Raffer, I like that style. It's different. Keep it up!

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 3:41 pm   Permalink

ben-
is that basswood you're using?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 3:52 pm   Permalink

Ben, I feel like I should be paying tuition. Your first example was good, but this second one really nails my question perfectly. I'm going to tweak the one I started, then try my hand at another more detailed one.

Do you sharpen your hook blades with your sandpaper technique?

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 3:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jungle Trader. I'm working on a way to give the drumhead an animal skin look.

Time to check that squirrel trap.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 5:11 pm   Permalink

Surfintiki, the last one is Mahogany, but it's the sapwood and fairly soft. The first one was bass wood(did I say I Hated it?I Do)
Raffertiki, yes I use the sandpaper to sharpen the hooks but with a twist. I have cut smaller pieces and glued them around a 1" pipe with contact cement. I shoved handles into the end of the pipes and use them like files to sharpen the hooks.. I just came up with this recently, having searched for a sharpening method for a long time. It is the Only way I have been able to sharpen the little bloodthirsty bastards!

I really hope this helps.
You guys just learn what I'm showing you, thats all the payment I need.

Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 5:27 pm   Permalink

Great first go at it Raffertiki. Watch out though once you start carvin' it becomes another creative itch that needs scratchin'.

Ah Ben, those tools of yours look like the things you would find a Ninja making use of. Your kung-fu is the best, Thanks for this and your other posts giving all of us grasshoppers lesson or two.

Chongoliosan

Come explore
www.lost-isle.com

[ This Message was edited by: Chongolio on 2005-01-07 17:31 ]

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Dale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 5:37 pm   Permalink

Great work Mr. Raffer.
If'n Ben ever does offer classes I'll sign right up with you. Tiki 101.
I'm just reading and learning, taking lessons from Master Ben.

View Profile of Mr. Dale Send a personal message to Mr. Dale  Email Mr. Dale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 7:34 pm   Permalink

The online classroom of Tiki Central. I had a small piece of Bass wood and thought I would give it a try. Do I get any extra credit?

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 7:39 pm   Permalink

Yes AS, you get an A+ for the day,, Excellent start.

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-08 2:36 pm   Permalink

Damn hard wood. This sassafras was advertised as being the softest hard wood. I'll need a laser to carve it, or at least a dremmel. Butternut is somewhat better, but still a hand cramper. The were both easy enough to rough into a conga drum shape with a grinder, but I need something SOFT to try out Ben's techniques.

What is a good wood to start out with?

http://www.NiceFishy.com

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-08 3:37 pm   Permalink

Hi, Raff. I've been told that Basswood was the easiest thing around for carving, but I didn't think it stained well. Surfintiki proved that theory wrong recently, though. His basswood lamp turned out really nice, stain and all. Maybe you should try that?

Ben, your step-by-step is great. Thanks!

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-09 2:38 pm   Permalink

Hey Aaron, yeah I'll try to score some basswood. In the meantime I toughed it out with this butternut. I didn't quite acheive the desired effect with the eyes, and I don't really know where the mouth came from, but I definately felt more in control with my new blade. And very little blood lost.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation