[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Cuban Cigars & Rum
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Cuban Cigars & Rum
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 9:42 pm   Permalink

Based on highly-prized intelligence derived at the TC opening of Tiki Bob's, and inspired by Fidel Castro & Ricky Ricardo, I brought over very illegal contraband from Mexico: Cuban Cigars and Rum.

I was going to sell a few to my friends, but now that I understand I will face a $50,000 fine for selling, I suppose I'll give a couple away and watch the rest of my profits go up in smoke.

This from the US Customs website:

Prohibitions on Cuban Cigars

The revival of interest in cigars and cigar smoking underscores the need to remind the public of the prohibitions that have been in place for many years with respect to cigars of Cuban origin. The number of attempted importations of Cuban cigars into the United States is rising and because dealing in such cigars may lead to Treasury enforcement actions, the public should be aware of — and make every effort to observe — the prohibitions which are in effect.

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products . . . acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, England, or Mexico.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation . . .

Bringing in the rum was illegal, too.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 10:11 pm   Permalink

Holy smokes, aren't you a lawyer? You're admitting you brought it over?
Just the same I'd be glad to smoke one of those cigars for you, and drink a little rum off your hands.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 10:16 pm   Permalink

Yay America.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-06 10:52 pm   Permalink

christiki~ selling is prohibited but what about a trade? a bottle for a bottle? mug for bottle? pm me if you interested!

[ This Message was edited by: the drunken hat on 2005-01-06 22:55 ]

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 03:30 am   Permalink

I *ahem* know quite a bit about cuban cigars in the USA. Ever go to Canada? Most of Canada's mail order cigar business is aimed at the U.S. market. (Did you know that Cuba is Canada's number one tourist destination?). A couple of cigar stores owners I spoke with the last time I was in Victoria B.C. said that maybe one or two shipments per year are seized by U.S. Customs. More likely the cigars are refused entry into the U.S. through the postal system, and will be sent back to the shipper in Canada. When the cigars are sent back, which happens about a dozen or so times per year, the store simply re-ships them at no extra cost to the buyer.

If U.S. Customs seizes and destroys the shipment, they will send a letter to the store stating what happened to the shipment. The store will then send out another shipment at no extra cost to the buyer.

Not only is there a ban of importing Cuban goods into the U.S., and distributing those goods, the legislation has been expanded recently in the past few years to make it punishable for any American to purchase or consume ANY Cuban goods, whether in the U.S., or anywhere abroad!!! This is a voilation of the "Trading With The Enemies" act, I believe. The only way for an American to legally buy any Cuban goods is if they get a State approved travel visa (mainly for politicians and members of the press). Those in posession of that visa that allows them to go to legally visit Cuba can bring back so many dollars worth of Cuban goods, something like $125 worth of cigars if memory serves right.

Interestingly enough, "pre-embargo" Cuban cigars are still legal to this day, but are extremely rare, and very expensive, although still obtainable.

Unless you buy your Cuban cigars from a reputable cigar store, the chances of them being counterfeit is extremely high. A good friend of mine actually went to Cuba a few years ago, before the U.S. started cracking down hard on this stuff. He visisted a couple of the cigar factories, but instead of buying a box there from their gift shop (which were fairly cheap at well under $100 a box), he decided to buy a box from a connection at his hotel, at around $25 for a box. These were seized by customs when he arrived back in Miami, although he tried passing them off as Dominican cigars, customs didn't buy it. They destroyed the box in front of him, and as they snapped a couple of the cigars, the tobacco was green and unaged inside, and totally unsmokable. Many cigar rollers in Cuba will roll cigars on the side at home, and although they will look good on the outside, they will not have quality tobacco inside. So caveat emptor - even in Cuba, if you don't buy from the factory or a very reputable store, you will get counterfeit cigars.

Although it is illegal for Americans to consume Cuban cigars overseas, the likelyhood of having the Trading With The Enemies Act enforced upon you is very very remote. Unless you do something like ramble on about it on a thread in Tiki Central.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 09:21 am   Permalink

shhhhhhh, they're watching us.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 12:52 pm   Permalink

Well I know how to bring Absinth into the US! Put it in a scope bottle!

As far as the cigars go, Mai Tai I live in Victoria BC! Right next door to me(where I work) happens to be a Cuban Cigar shop. I'd be glad to stop by and ask if they ship to the US.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-01-07 4:54 pm   Permalink

If purchased in Mexico, could be Cuban, could not be. It's a fact that fake Cuban cigars are plenty there.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 6:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-07 12:52, Tikiwahine wrote:
As far as the cigars go, Mai Tai I live in Victoria BC! Right next door to me(where I work) happens to be a Cuban Cigar shop. I'd be glad to stop by and ask if they ship to the US.

Thank you very much, TikiWanine! I sent you a p.m.

Quote:

On 2005-01-07 16:54, Tiki_Bong wrote:
If purchased in Mexico, could be Cuban, could not be. It's a fact that fake Cuban cigars are plenty there.

Yes, this is very very true. Unless you purchase them from some extremely reputable cigar store in some place like Puerto Vallarta or Alcapulco, the chances of them being counterfeit are very high. And buying real Cuban cigars in Tijuana? Fahgetaboutit!

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 7:00 pm   Permalink

If anyone's desperate for absinthe, cuban cigars, etc in the "land of the *cough* free", then let me know as we wing 'em from over here, no problem. In fact, they are available from the local supermarket. I must stress that as with anything vaguely forbidden, the reality is less impressive than the imagination.

Still, I'm happy to conceal absinthe in Listerine bottles should anyone feel the urge...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 7:19 pm   Permalink

I can’t believe it. I’ll being violating federal law as soon as I light up. Also, what gall to prevent to me from mimiking Ricky Ricardo on foreign soil!

They’ re coming to get me. I can hear the footsteps now.

The primary law used to enforce the Cuban embargo is Public Law 65-91, the Trading With the Enemy Act (TWEA). Passed by Congress in 1917, TWEA gives the president power to regulate, during time of war, all financial transactions involving any “individual, partnership, or body of individuals residing within any nation with which the U.S. is at war.”

http://www.lawandpolitics.com/washington/default.asp?section=ARTICLES&module=ITEM&id=230

Are we at war with Cuba?

However, in the Plummer case, the Eleventh Circuit US Court of Appeals reinstated an indictment under the Trading With the Enemy Act of a defendant who was seized 40 miles off the Florida coast in international waters, claiming he could be prosecuted for attempting to smuggle 121 boxes of Cuban cigars into the United States.

Drunken Hat,
Sorry - after further review of the statute, even giving away Cuban cigars is illegal. But, after breaking one law, if I have any left at the time of the crawl (a very small box), I give you one at the crawl.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/travel/alerts/cuban_cigars.xml

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 8:28 pm   Permalink

i will be at the sf crawl this year so i hope you don't get real "rebellious" and decide to smoke all your stogies in front of a government building or something. however if you do i wouldn't be offended at all. enjoy the contraban christiki aka the embargonator!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 8:31 pm   Permalink

My own opinion is to void this archaic law and open up trade with Cuba. Breaking down the trade barrier would help promote business connections, free enterprise, etc. I think it would be the worst thing we could do to Castro. The will of the people, all people everywhere can only be subverted for so long. This law hasn't changed the communist system in Cuba. Let's try something new. GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT!!!! Isn't that an old Kink's song? LONG LIVE ROCK AND ROLL, oh shit....sorry.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 9:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-07 20:31, Jungle Trader wrote:
My own opinion is to void this archaic law and open up trade with Cuba. Breaking down the trade barrier would help promote business connections, free enterprise, etc. I think it would be the worst thing we could do to Castro. T

I don't know about Castro, but I'd love it. I want to drive one of those 1950s American cars!

Better get in now; Castro's years in power, and years in general, are limited.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 on 2005-01-07 21:07 ]

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-07 9:22 pm   Permalink

right on, and when I speak of giving the people what they want, I wasn't speaking of my American friends. We already have all we need and much of what we want. I'm speakin' for all people, and the Cuban people. Cut loose the reins and let 'em go baby.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation