[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Cuban Cigars & Rum
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Cuban Cigars & Rum
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-01-07 9:45 pm   Permalink

I must say however, that a certain TC member, whose name rhymes with 'Tiki Hiablo' kicked me down a genuine Cubano at the fist..er, ... first International Tiki Day at Baxdong's, er... Baxdog's place.

It was sweet...

(I even ate the roach)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stratiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-08 1:44 pm   Permalink

This past summer, in my privileged capacity as a stagehand, while tearing down a show by everyone's fave, Fitty Cent, I came across two very large Cohibas, individually wrapped, which had been thrown onstage during the concert. They were excellent, and I do thank the mis-guided youth that think that anyone other than Road and Local crews actually keep anything tossed on stage in tribute. It was a nice change from panties and bras...usually none of them fit...

View Profile of Stratiki Send a personal message to Stratiki  Email Stratiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-08 5:27 pm   Permalink

Ah the time of my life!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-09 02:05 am   Permalink

Dumb nonsmoker question:

What is it exactly about Cuban cigars that makes them so much better than the rest?

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-09 03:07 am   Permalink

Just because they are cuban doesn't make them automatically good. I have had cubans cigars that are really bad.

Real fine cuban cigars usually taste better, are a more smooth smoke, provide a better ash, and tend to not leave a harsh or bitter after taste. They usually just give you a stronger buzz.

Bolivar makes a cuban cigar that will put you on your butt in a hurry. Romeo and Julietta makes a nice mild cuban. Last time I was in Mexico I bought a real nice cuban..It was a Robaina It was nice.

I smoke usually 1 or 2 cigars a week. When summer hits it's becomes darn near one a day. Myself, my father and Franco get together and sit in my backyard by the Tiki Hut or in Francos tiki room and smoke.
I save my cubans for special ocassions. I have some hoyo de monterreys that are really nice, but a tad strong for most.

We order alot out of Cigars International in PA. They have the cheapest prices I have found, far less than Thompsons. I smoke alot of CuAvanas (by Manuel Quesada) and My Ways (by Felipe Gregorio).

I wish this rain would stop so I can go outside and have one.

[ This Message was edited by: ErichTroudt 2014-12-18 09:55 ]

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-09 07:57 am   Permalink

Yeah, there can be lousy Cuban cigars, just like there can be any lousy product in a niche market. I personally feel that there are a couple factors that make a very good quality Cuban cigar better than others is the quality of tobacco from Cuba and the quality that goes into rolling the cigar.

As an analogy, think of a tobacco leaf like a long narrow wild lettuce leaf. When you eat the leaf, the long soft rounded end part would taste milder, and the taste and bitterness would increase in intensity as you get closer to the stem end, until you got to the stem itself which would be pretty bitter. Well, the tobacco leaves in all good quality cigars are laid out in the same fashion - the rounded end part of the tobacco leaf (the milder part) is at the part of the cigar that you light, and the stem end is at the mouth part. This is an oversimplification, because they often use complicated blends of tobacco in cigars, but that is basically how the inside tobacco part is laid out. As you smoke any cigar, they tend to get more and more bitter as you work your way down to the stem end, partly because you are working your way down closer to the bitter stem part, and partly because tars and stuff are accumulating at the mouthpart as well. This is especially true of the last 1/4 of the cigar - a lot of cigars become unsmokeable at that point. I experience this a lot in Dominican cigars (not to knock Dominican cigars - there are some awesome Dominican smokes out there!).

The quality of the cuban cigar tobacco and construction comes into play here. There is something about the quality of the tobacco they grow - it doesn't seem to be bitter even when you get down to the stem end of the cigar, whether that's due to the climate, type of soil, growing technique, or whatever. A good Cuban cigar known for it's smoothness, like a MonteCristo #2 torpedo, will stay smooth all the way until the very end, and you need to break out the roach clip to finish that bad boy off, because you will be burning your fingers and lips off of the hot ash. No bitterness at all. I've noticed this from all of the good quality Cuban smokes, like Romeo Y Julietta, Cohiba, MonteCristo, etc. Although different brands and different sizes each have different blends for their own distinctive tastes from mild to spicy (like Erich mentions above, some can be REALLY strong, and knock you on your butt!) the Cubans will tend to keep their intended consistency throughout the entire smoke, and not become overpowered by bitterness at the end.

Here's where the quality of construction comes into play. Virtually every time my friends and I have run across a non-Cuban cigar that is totally unsmokeable when it hits the 2/3 mark, (whether it's Dominican, Honduran, whatever), we usually filet it open, and check out the insides (because we would just be throwing it away at this point anyways). And every time there is a big fat stem in there, that is thick like a twig or stick! I've never run across that in a Cuban cigar - they take the time during construction to remove all of their stems, at least in the ones I've smoked.

Just like there are good rums, whiskeys, and scotches out there that come from different manufacturers in different countries, there are good quality cigars from different manufacturers in different countries as well. Everyone has different tastes, so hey, smoke a Cuban cigar if you can get ahold of one, but more importantly, smoke what you like, regardless of where it's from!

Thus endeth my primer on cigar construction for today. Mahaloz for listening.

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-01-09 11:24 am   Permalink

A major reason they're better is because they are proscribed in these here Untied States...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2005-01-09 12:55 pm   Permalink

Not a big fan of cigars, but I did enjoy the Cuban Rum last month in Mexico. I was too chicken to bring some back with me, so I'm glad the info helped. Come on up the Rincon Room, Christiki295, we would love to share pix (and Rum).

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mai Tai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-10 12:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-09 11:24, Tiki_Bong wrote:
A major reason they're better is because they are proscribed in these here Untied States...

Bong, I thought you would have appreciated a roller who takes the time to remove the stems (and seeds).

View Profile of Mai Tai Send a personal message to Mai Tai  Email Mai Tai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-10 11:32 am   Permalink

Hey Mai Tai, thanks for all that neat info! I'm not a smoker of anything, but it's always cool to increase yer brain smarts.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-17 12:59 pm   Permalink

This is GREAT news, although it will take the exciting danger out of my border crossing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/12/17/yes-you-can-now-bring-back-cuban-cigars-and-booze/

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-12-18 12:00 am   Permalink

What The Ending Of The Cuban Embargo Means For Rum Drinking
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2014/12/17/what-ending-cuban-embargo-means-rum-drinking

Hopefully it means we'll be drinking a little more Cuban rum :>)

Even more exciting are the prospects of visiting the island and some of the hundreds of small distilleries.

The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide | The Tiki Times

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-10-14 10:28 am   Permalink

Looks like the $100 limit on bringing Cuban cigars and rum has been lifted. If there's no restrictions on bringing these Cuban products to the US does that mean distribution of Havanista (or whatever the government Havana Club is gonna be called in our market) is soon to follow?

http://abc13.com/1554977/

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-10-15 07:37 am   Permalink

FYI: This doesn't just mean you can bring back rum and cigars from Cuba. It mean you can bring back Cuban Rum and cigars from Mexico and Canada and anywhere else you find it. That was technically illegal before.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-10-15 09:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-10-15 07:37, Swanky wrote:
FYI: This doesn't just mean you can bring back rum and cigars from Cuba. It mean you can bring back Cuban Rum and cigars from Mexico and Canada and anywhere else you find it. That was technically illegal before.

I've read several stories on it now and some say this means you could bring it back legally from other places like Mexico and Canada like you said, but the story I linked and others have stated you can bring it back directly from Cuba:

"The Obama administration announced Friday it is eliminating a $100 limit on the value of Cuban rum and cigars that American travelers can bring back from the island."

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation