FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Would you prefer Tiki as 'mainstream' or 'underground'?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
Would you prefer Tiki as 'mainstream' or 'underground'?
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2017-05-04 05:32 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-05-03 21:55, EnchantedTikiGoth wrote:
I have the feeling like a bigger hotel would just mean MORE rooms sell out in five minutes. Or maybe they could stretch it out to six minutes before they sell out. I guess it'd be great for that many more people, but is that many more people necessarily creating a better experience?

I wonder if the event could somehow address that demand by splitting the event (and the attendees) into TWO events in TWO locations. One event would focus on poly-pop and tiki, and the other event would cater to the other genres for those who don't go for tiki specifically. If it works well two years in a row, great, keep doing it. If not, go back to the original format. If you succeed, there could be much more profit from being able to accommodate more attendees AND you may improve the experience for both groups of attendees.

(Otto, PM me, and I'll let you know where to send my check, lol...)

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2017-05-08 10:36 am   Permalink

Jumping in late, but these days I'd prefer tiki to remain underground - I've had enough of star wars, star trek, guardians of the galaxy, gremlins, and aliens "tiki mugs."

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iakona
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-09 09:11 am   Permalink

I blame Spongebob and Instagram.

View Profile of Iakona Send a personal message to Iakona  Email Iakona     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-17 11:26 pm   Permalink

As someone that's been to many events, fests, cons with over 50,000, tiki o is small. It's not mainstream. Santacon NYC gets 20,000 or so! Tiki bars are a very niche thing outside of a few cities. Since most don beachcomber , trader vics and other restaurants have closed its a smaller niche now.

[ This Message was edited by: santa 2017-05-17 23:28 ]

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
20th Century Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2017-05-18 12:43 pm   Permalink

Somewhere in the middle. "Understream?"

My wife and I, too, have been hesitant to joining the insanity/frivolity at Oasis because its scope of interest has gone IMHO beyond old-school tiki's "borders."
Rockabilly, rat rods, tattoos, pin-ups, and other tangental interests are the antithesis of tiki's South Pacific island, 50s-60s lounge, rat pack, and exotica themes.
I'm talking Alohawear and tropical rum drinks. We have been delighted to attend Hukilau in Ft. Lauderdale (fantastic!) on a couple of occasions and Rory's Mod-Palm Springs.
We'd love to attend Tiki Caliente sometime. These events are much more authentic to post-war tiki's "roots" and that works for us. We would rather spend a fun
weekend with a few hundred tiki enthusiasts rather than 6000-7000 partiers.

View Profile of 20th Century Man Send a personal message to 20th Century Man  Email 20th Century Man     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Jeff

Posted: 2017-05-19 07:56 am   Permalink

I like it underground occasionally popping my head above ground to see what everyone is doing.

View Profile of Jungle Jeff Send a personal message to Jungle Jeff  Email Jungle Jeff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2017-05-27 4:01 pm   Permalink

Val and I have been witness to a pattern that plays out over and over in the music industry. One you all have undoubtedly seen yourselves. No judgment here, it just happens.

Many years ago, we caught wind of a band who went by the name of Arcade Fire. We went to their shows over the years, shows that gradually moved to larger venues. They still connected with the audience, but on a larger scale. In 2014, on the Reflector tour, they played at the Forum in Los Angeles (well, Inglewood actually). We sat up in the rafters (in our matching Vantiki Kon Tiki shirt and dress) and enjoyed the show. When it was over, I leaned over and kissed Val on the cheek and said "they're not ours anymore".

I'll still fight the good fight because I want to help share the knowledge of where tiki came from and what it means. But I also know it has escaped.

See you in San Diego, and at SG101.

kevin

http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-02-25 1:36 pm   Permalink

There seems to be less small intimate tiki events but lots of Tiki news stories on TV and Disneyland has increased it's tiki elements.

Timeout Los Angeles: Disneyland’s adding a new market and restaurant, the Tropical Hideaway, in Adventureland

Has it crossed the underground/Mainstream line yes?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation