FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food new mai tai????
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
new mai tai????
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-15 02:19 am   Permalink

I love being the black sheep. So, I've remixed my drinks myself, and would like to add a few notes. Banana Juice can be gotten at any garden variety mexican store that carries a large stock of Goya fruit nectars in a can. Should be the blue can, not the white can. I went and checked my local Whole Foods (Superfresh) and sure enough, they had some in stock. Now, as far as substituing banana liquor with 99 bananas, that's a personal choice, and I'm fine with it. After all, we don't still have the original Zombie, so why be stuck to certain ingredients. Now, if you can't find banana juice, I tried it without it the juice, and added banana puree. Not as good, but, still good. It's up for grabs people. But with all honesty, go with the juice, the puree gives it a weird texture. Check your local organic food store, they tend to stock Goya. Good luck mixing!

http://www.goya.com/english/products/product.html?prodCatID=5&prodSubCatID=16

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-15 7:39 pm   Permalink

martiki~ i actually like it better with the orgeat insted of the passionfruit. but against my own taste i chose the receipe with the passion fruit with my thinking being that a sweeter drink may have a more universal appeal. its coolio though i'm honored to just make the finals.

p.s. i appreciate your constructive critisism and take the knowledge that i should have trusted my own taste.............................(under my breath "f that martiki s.o.b.") just kidding of course!

dh

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-16 10:26 am   Permalink

Well, alls I can say is I tried the Drunken Hat's Monkey Mai Tai with thine own lips Saturday night at The Dark Marq Room (exquisitely tiki) and it was SUperb. My friend the Drunken Hat has come a long way in a short period of time. Becoming a great mixologist. Mahalo.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-16 1:19 pm   Permalink

Can't wait to taste Hale tiki's Blended Monkey Mai Tai. I usually mix myself a Banana Dragon (Banana Daiquiri) while I'm bartending for the extra potassium which bananas contain. Monkey Mai Tai looks like a tasty substitute.
I've been working a late swing shift these days which has seriously cut into my cocktail time; however, in early Febuary I am changing to an earlier shift which will at least let me have a nightcap. Dust off the Blender, Honey!
"Mai Tai" means the Best in Tahitian!
"Ka Oi" means the best in Hawaiian!
How about Monkey Ka Oi.
Tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-16 6:26 pm   Permalink

Here's the one I entered. I sent it by email, I didn't post it in the thread. It didn't make the Final Four but that doesn't mean it has to die alone, homeless and anonymous. Or maybe it does?

1.5oz white rum (Cruzan)
1.5oz dark rum (Meyers)
.75oz coconut cream
.75oz orgeat syrup
1oz banana liqueur
1.5 oz pineapple juice
.75oz lime juice
.75oz apricot brandy

1.5 cups shaved ice
Blend well

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-01-17 09:13 am   Permalink

Hey Kono- for what it's worth, you were one of my four finalists...

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 09:34 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-13 09:39, martiki wrote:
Quote:
Even if it doesn't win, I think "The Drunken Hat" is a great name for a drink.

Except that the Drunken Hat is a person, and not a drink name!

Unless it's like the song In a Big Country, from the band Big Country, on the album Big Country.

Sorry I wasn't clear on this, I know the Drunken Hat is a person, but it would also be a great drink name, too. I'd think that someone named Martiki could understand that.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bob
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-17 1:34 pm   Permalink

I vote for the Drunken hat and the blended one. We'll see come Sat.

View Profile of Tiki Bob Send a personal message to Tiki Bob  Email Tiki Bob     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-01-17 4:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-13 18:37, crazy al wrote:
so'... a daring vote for the taboo Blended Mai Tai! Hmmmmmm... inside scoop i found out the Lucky Tiki has no blender.... something about not cool in suck a cool Tiki bar... ok, i made the 'not cool' part up, but it might be true to some...

if this 'black sheep' wins a spot... i'll bring the blender a guess

[ This Message was edited by: on 2005-01-13 18:42 ]

By the way, the blender was invented by Stephen Poplawski of Racine, WI in 1922. Bandleader Fred Waring was a big fan of daquiris and found out about Poplawsi's invention in the late 20s. Waring and Poplawski went into business together and called it the Waring Blendor. (yep, -or)

the blender was a popular bar accessory for over 20 years before it even moved into home usage.

So, it's actually more old school to have blenders....

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 4:33 pm   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-01-17 16:01, martiki wrote:
Quote:

the blender was a popular bar accessory for over 20 years before it even moved into home usage.

So, it's actually more old school to have blenders....

Here's the new school blender,The Amazing Blenderphone No Tiki bar should be with it.

(You need to refresh page to see the cartoon repeat.)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 5:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-17 09:13, martiki wrote:
Hey Kono- for what it's worth, you were one of my four finalists...

That's cool martiki. Good to know. I'll just give it a new name.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 6:36 pm   Permalink

It appears that the voting ends tonight, and in the spirit of ohana, my vote goes to THE DRUNKEN HAT

(Although, of course, I perfer my blended recipre more. I'd say that Hat's recipe is a close second.)

Mahalo to all who voted for me, and I really wish I could be there for the event. Unfortunately, I'm stuck on the un-tiki east coast. ALoha!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 8:51 pm   Permalink

Use less ice cubes in my recipe. I'm thinking 4. I just remade it. Too icy if the cubes are large. Go with 4.

crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 9:05 pm   Permalink

crap... it's Wed. already... I've got bananas and rum squirting out my ears!!!

so......... let me thinks about this........slurp

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
crazy al
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 9:16 pm   Permalink

looks like it's a Drunk's Hat's off and the Blended One?? Inside Scoop.... an Ape has let it be known that "over his dead simian carcass" would there be a Blended Ape Drink! So there just might be three drinks offered up on Sat.

see ya there.

View Profile of crazy al Send a personal message to crazy al  Email crazy al Goto the website of crazy al     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation