FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Lesson Using Hook Blade** Sharpening 101**
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Carving Lesson Using Hook Blade** Sharpening 101**
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 2:01 pm   Permalink

Here's a bit more detail than I gave in Raffertikis post and rather than take over his post I'm starting a new one.
Same tiki, 3 1/2" tall shaped like a bongo drum and sliced in half.
I first drew a center line and a few 90 degree lines for refrence points then drew in all the lines on both sides.

Starting at the top, cut a "V" line for the brow lines and the same all the way down past the mouth

Then start shaping the teeth section shaving a little off at a time until you have the basic shape

Then begin to shape the tongue

Then I shaped the teeth more, lowering them to Below the tongue line so the tongue sticks out more.

Thenshape the teeth some more and define each tooth, being careful to cut Away from the tongue, as it is fragile at this point and a wayward slash would severly ruin it.
Then I went back up to the eyes and cut deeply into each corner of the eye on all 4 sides. Then removed each corner area to define the beginning of the eyeball.

Then continue cutting off the corners until the eyeball is round, then cutting off the top of the ball to identify the pupil.

Then begin cleaning up the detail and depening the mouth and eyes. You will see where it needs to be cleaned and shaped.

Somewhere a nose popped up. Now this is ALL done with the hook knife. once you get ti to this point you can sand it to your liking. I use small fingernail emory boards from the local drug store. you can cut them in half longways to get a thin stiff strip and you can wrap it with finer grit sandpaper if you like. of course I use plain sand paper, sand paper sponges and drums on the Foredom or Dremel.
This concludes this portion of lesson 1.

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2005-12-03 19:09 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 2:22 pm   Permalink

Bloody Hell - I've learnt more in the 2 minutes spent going through this post than all the info I've read in all the carving books I've got put together. My tools are covered in years of dust, but this really makes me want to break them out and get carving.

It's all so clear and (relatively) simple.
Great post Benzart!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 2:42 pm   Permalink

Thanks, I apreciate that. Show us your stuff when you pick up the tools again.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 2:56 pm   Permalink

Thank you Benzart,
picked up Oceanic Arts, the book, have some fairly dried logs, think I am finaly going to start carving.
TT

[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2005-01-13 14:57 ]

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 3:03 pm   Permalink

I hope so and I hope you share your carving with us.

The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 3:26 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the awsome post BEN!! I swear one of these days I am going to start carving!! Not only was that a great lesson but I really want one of those TIKI's. I love the facial expression. So if you want sell me one of those TIKI's please send me a PM.
Later,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 4:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benzart, great post! I have to get me a hook knife, have alot of knives but none of those. Been thinking about it since you mentioned it in RT's post, but coudn't picture how it helped, this post helped, gotta get one.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 5:52 pm   Permalink

Outstanding! You make it all look so easy, Ben. One thing you forgot to mention is PATIENCE. For us newer carvers that's I think that's the key to success.

Can't wait for session 2. Thanks for sharing, Ben.

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 7:17 pm   Permalink

wow!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 7:19 pm   Permalink

The hook blades I use are from Warren tools and is #21 small blade by their description. Treeline (link) also sells Flexcut tools and if you need good chisels and gouges hey give a good discount when ordering 5 or more, call for the discount.
http://www.treelineusa.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=290-0302
I'm glad you are all enjoying this post and I apologize for it being so large.

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-13 11:44 pm   Permalink

Great stuff Ben... but what I don't get is how you are holding that blade and in what when you carve. I'd love to do some small stuff but the blades scare the hell out of me. I think the major reason is I don't know how to hold or carve with them without slicing into something or slicing something off. Can you get a shot of how you hold that thing when you carve?

Thanks!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-01-13 23:44 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2005-01-13 23:45 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-14 07:25 am   Permalink

LS, here are some pix of the knives and me holding them

It is good to be afraid since this tool has bitten me more than Any other, but I use it more than any other too. It is my Main tool. If you get in a hurry, have bandaids handy. Take your time and pay attention to the Path of the blade through the cut. Is a finger or thumb in the way? If so, it will get cut. Stop and analize where the blade is going and adjust your fingers accordingly. used properly the hook blade is an Awesome tool tha will do Anything for you.
Heres the link to the handles.
warren Handle
Vertas Handle
Here are some bulk prices, Anyone interested in splitting up a bulk order of 144 pcs # 10Hard? look here under "Industrial blades and handles". You have to go to "Shop Online" first to find it.
Blades

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2005-12-16 18:45 ]

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-14 1:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ben! I get it now! Gotta get me one of those!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 8:52 pm   Permalink

Just wondering how the lessons are coming along???

Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-09 10:00 am   Permalink

Ben, It took some time to get the nerve to cut the other side if the conga piece you sent me. Once in it wasn't so bad. I realized I wasn't going to completely screw it up. It's about half done, but I need to sharpen my blades. I'll keep you posted.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation