FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Carving Lesson Using Hook Blade** Sharpening 101**
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Carving Lesson Using Hook Blade** Sharpening 101**
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-09 7:46 pm   Permalink

It's next on my list. This tool may answer a lot of my "small scale" questions!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 09:10 am   Permalink

Well, I carved my half of Ben's carving. My cuts are less defined, and less confident than Ben's. Heck, I could'nt even figure out how he made some of those cuts, like at the bridge of the nose. Though I felt I did make a solid cut or two. Ben, I hope my efforts don't dissapoint you. Thanks again for carving lesson. I learned more doing this than I had in the past year and a half.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 12:06 pm   Permalink

Raffertiki, That is VERY GOOD. I had to look close to see which side I did. You make me proud. See, I Knew you could do it.
Happyhappyhappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 12:10 pm   Permalink

That was a great idea, Ben. And a great effort, Raff. I can't tell who's who either.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 12:51 pm   Permalink

You guys are too kind. All that's left is to sand it a bit, rub in some tongue oil, and treasure it forever.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 12:52 pm   Permalink

That looks really good, I think Ben should start carving halfs only.Kinda like carve by numbers. Any idea what type of finish your going to apply?

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-01 9:29 pm   Permalink

bump

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 05:02 am   Permalink

Cool thread. Love the step by step Benz. Awesome. Hopefully santa or my birthday gonna be good to me and Im gonna get some carving knives.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Loki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 05:16 am   Permalink

Thanks for the bump, great stuff. Question. How do you rough out the basic shape of the block. Band saw, jig saw, or just using the hook knife?

View Profile of Loki Send a personal message to Loki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 05:55 am   Permalink

I use power tools as much as possible. This one met the band saw first then a Belt sander.. Any tool that you can use to remove or shape the wood is Fair game I Say. Later I will take pix of the sharpening procedure for these hook knives.

Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-02 11:48 pm   Permalink

Ben-
Thank you for being a patient teacher. I have been just buying hook knives after they go dull.
I love this thread!!
Moon

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 11:56 am   Permalink

I'm glad this topic was bumped up. I bought some hook blades after reading this early in the year. I kept fumbling with the blades and felt I was going to cut my fingers off. Chainsaw, no problem, little hookblade- scares me to no end. Re-reading this post makes me want to try it again.

Benzart, how do you get the bottom of your deep cuts looking so clean? I keep struggling.
JohnnyP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 5:58 pm   Permalink

Moondance, I will post pics now of how I carve the hook blades.

JohnnyP, I get to the bottom of the V cuts a little at a time. The line starts out narrow and shallow and as I go along it gets deepeneduntil it looks right. When the carving is all done, it's time for the "Clean-up" which consists of justmaking sure all the deep V's are even and fair, and that they have no Junk in the bottom. As you go around the carving cleaning it up, it's important to keep the cuts Light and not deep. soon it will All look like you made about 10 cuts to do the carving, when in reality you made about 1000 cuts.
Hope that makes sense.
Here are the things I use to sharpen the hooks. I have a few pieces of 3/4" pipe cut to 16" lengths. I cut pieces of sandpaper, 4" long and just wide enough to wrap around the pipe. Then I glue the pieces onto the pipes in the order of the grit. 220, 320, 600,800 on 1 pipe, 1000, 1200,1500 and 2000 on the next and on the last I have a piece of leather steering wheel cover and a piece of thin cardboard coated with buffing rouge.

Then I start with the 220 grit and use the pipes just like a file, doing one side of the hook and then the other. I Rub the pipe againts the hook instead of the hook against the pipe, it works better.

After several strokes on eachside of the hook on the 220, move up to the 320, and then the next higher grit until you get to the 2000 or the highest grit. Then a few strokes on the rouge laced cardboard, and a few strokes on the leather and you are ready to go.
It is important to look at the edge closely, preferably with a magnifier of some kind, before moving to the next grit. If you don't, you could end up Polishing a dull blade.
You don't really have to get fancy with a Bunch of different grits of paper, but the more you have, the faster it goes.
If I left anything out or you need any more info, just ask or say so. I'll try to re-define it.
By the way, this is basically how I sharpen my chisels, only I have all the grits clamped on a clipboard with the 220 on the bottom and the cardboard on the top. It gives me a nice flat surface to back the sandpaper and it only takes a few minutes to sharpen a chisel as long as it doesn't have deep nicks on it. And, you Don't need to start at 220 every time, start higher if the tool is not too dull. Plus, for the Micro chisels you ALWAYS start half way up, they should Never feel the 220 unless they get broken or something like that.

I Hope this helps, now Lets see some Sharp knifes and chisels and gouges.

SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 7:16 pm   Permalink

Amazing Ben! I don't know how you do those tiny cuts, really. In fact, I've got to ask . . how do you see what you're doing? Do you use magnifing glasses or goggels? I don't know if my eyes could be trusted on something that small.

Classic Silver Line Boats

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-03 8:33 pm   Permalink

On top of my bifocals(pre cataract surgery) I use a magnifier that has a headband. $4.95 from Harbor Freight. Makes it look big enough so you can SEE it.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation