[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food A Grog Log experience: The Rum Barrel
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
A Grog Log experience: The Rum Barrel
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-15 10:35 pm   Permalink

Tonight was the first time I mixed a Rum Barrel (pg. 71) and I must say I was very pleased. I mixed it to the letter using Myer's Rum for the dark Jamaican Rum, and Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup for the sugar syrup. What a great tasting drink! Also a great excuse to use the Barrel mug I bought at the Mai Kai this past November. In fact I think I'll put the Rum Barrel at Number 1 for now in the top ten of Tiki drinks I have mixed at home. There may be another one that comes along, like on the hit singles charts, to knock it out of the no. 1 spot, but for now it's there.The Alize Red Passion liquer is a nice touch in the ingredients, and oh yeah the buzz factor is pretty high since your mixing 3/4 oz of 151 in addition to the Myers'. I drank two and got a nice zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

The only very minor dissapointment was when I mixed it (3/4 oz. of each ingredient as the recipe calls for) it only filled my Mai Kai barrel mug half way, and even with a little additiional ice it was still below the rim. I wanted it Mai Kai full, but it was still tons-o-fun. Next time I'll just mix an ounce of each ingredient. That should probably do it.

Aloha!

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 10:16 am   Permalink

Try the Mai Kai recipe and see how it compares. Or is it the same? I am not looking at the book.

Barrel of Rum

2 oz Bacardi Silver rum
2 oz Appleton rum
2 oz lime juice
2 oz orange juice
2 oz grapefruit juice
2 oz Trader Vic's passion mix
1 teaspoon honey
splash soda
2 - 6 dashes Angostura bitters

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 12:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting, Swanky. I like 'em both, but could only have the Mai Kai version on site.

DonHo, 1 oz. each will get the barrel 3/4 full. That's what I do, too.

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-17 12:31 pm   Permalink

Swanky-

The Mai Kai recipe is quite different from the GL recipe, but thanks for posting. I'll have to try that. Now if anybody knows the Mai Kai recipes for their Mai Tais or Zombies, that would be mucho cool-o. Both are amazing drinks, and I haven't really tasted anything that comes clost to their versions anywhere else particularly the Zombie, which I can 'taste' in my mind's eye (or mouth) right now.

JTD-3/4s full is close enough for me. I wonder if say what 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 oz. would do. Probably fill the barrel and get you pretty f'in smashed I'm guessing!! Yeah...fill that barrel baby!!! (that's what she said...doh!)

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 09:16 am   Permalink

Don,
I really want to know their ZOmbie recipe. BK and I talked about it a while and he thought there was Liqor 43 in it, but I seem to recall in a late night sesssion asking Kern if it was true and I think he said 'no'. But, it's all hazy now.

I have these Mai Kai drink recipes:
Derby Daiquiri
Floridita Daiquiri
Barrel of Rum
Tahiatian Paradise
Mara Amu
and, I am pretty sure the Shark's Tooth is the same as their SHark Bite.

and a few dishes.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2005-10-20 09:38 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-18 09:26 am   Permalink

Yes, the Mara Amu. I've had that several times, and got the mug that comes with it. Could you post that one here?

I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 08:51 am   Permalink

The other great thing about the Grog Log Rum Barrel is that you can make it in giant batches for parties, and it works well. I tend to lower the sugar syrup a little and substitute gold rum for some of the 151, but otherwise the recipe is the same, and it's a huge hit at parties.

However, BE WARNED, I've seen more naked and/or half-clothed maniacs after this drink is served. It really unlocks the latent exhibitionist in people. And I'm not kidding. A crazy, crazy cocktail. I've seen it time and time again.

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-19 8:33 pm   Permalink

Mara Amu

fresh squeezed lime
juice oz. light rum
oz.fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
oz. dark rum
oz. Fresh squeezed orange juice
oz. gold anejo rum
oz. Passion fruit syrup

Combine all ingredients into a blender, add 2 cups ice, and process until smooth. Serves 2. For non-alcoholic, substitute club soda for rum.

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky on 2005-01-19 20:34 ]

TikiTracy

Posted: 2005-10-20 08:47 am   Permalink

When I plan on mixing more than one of these lovely cocktails, I mix a "batch" in a glass pitcher.
Use 6 ounces of each ingredient. Dole pineapple juice just happens to come in a 6 ounce cans. Put 1 scoop of ice in the pitcher first, then add rums, syrup and juices in that order. The ice will mellow the mix as you go, so not too much. Go for just 3 ounces of the 151 and save your brain for another day.

View Profile of TikiTracy Send a personal message to TikiTracy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 11:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2005-01-19 08:51, I, Zombie wrote:[/i

However, BE WARNED, I've seen more naked and/or half-clothed maniacs after this drink is served. It really unlocks the latent exhibitionist in people. And I'm not kidding. A crazy, crazy cocktail. I've seen it time and time again.

Now, I know what to do this week end with my (girl)friends from Sweden !!

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 5:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-19 20:33, Swanky wrote:
Mara Amu

fresh squeezed lime
juice oz. light rum
oz.fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
oz. dark rum
oz. Fresh squeezed orange juice
oz. gold anejo rum
oz. Passion fruit syrup

Dear Swanky--how much lime juice is that please? I loved that drink.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-20 6:01 pm   Permalink

I have been making the GL rum barrel for the last month for everyone. One of the best drinks ever, real tasty. I have a passion fruit liquor from Colombia and it is almost all gone. I will have to try Alize for the next batch. I wonder if it is just as good, cause these came out excellent. For the second round of drinks I use 1/2 151 and 1/2 Myers. so we don't go crazy.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 02:40 am   Permalink

I never found any aliz liqueur, and that's supposed to be french...Their website is in english, and I guess they export all their product to the states...

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kava King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-21 08:05 am   Permalink

Maybe we can work out an exchange..what was that about the naked Swedes?

View Profile of Kava King Send a personal message to Kava King      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 05:38 am   Permalink

woohoo, my wife finally found the bottle in a small import liquor store...I'll be able to make this cocktail finally tonight.
Sorry, no exchange then

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation