FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
So whats the most u paid for a mug?
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 4:42 pm   Permalink

bigbadtikidaddy,
I've heard stories of people doing the same thing here in So Cal. I actually know somebody who took a part-time job at a local thrift specifically so he could get first pick at stuff. All the cool stuff filtered through him and all the crap got put on the shelves. On the other hand, some thrift stores have jumped on the eBay bandwagon and are filtering the good stuff themselves. The last time I was thrifting in Pomona, I overheard two employees talking about the bids they were getting on some of the stuff they had posted.

Times are changing for sure - I don't seem to come across anything anymore. Unless of course, I go to eBay.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-10-07 5:14 pm   Permalink

My two chipped Leilani mugs were $109.91. But, that included shipping, insurance and a WHOLE LOT of bubble wrap to protect those rare, fragile mugs. Imagine, getting tWO Leilanis at once. WHAT A SCORE!!!!

Am I lying again?
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hula hula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 5:20 pm   Permalink

Well the mug thats causing me so much pain to part with my green is a tiki bob's mug,Over and over I've scoured the antique shops, checked ebay for a decent price, surf the net and to no avail. For some reason I have a burning need to posse this mug,right now, so im finale gonna fork over some big cash for it. But after this im goning back to my $30 limit.

View Profile of hula hula Send a personal message to hula hula  Email hula hula Goto the website of hula hula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 6:18 pm   Permalink

I have the Moai tissue box! My brother bought it in Japan for me. It's quite the conversation piece, though sometimes kleenex gets stuck in his nose.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thecardcheat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-07 7:34 pm   Permalink

Hula,
If you want it enough it will find you.
A few years back I was walking down the street in San Fran. and saw them from about 2 blocks away! Some hippie chick selling crap on the street, had 2 Tiki Bob's! Keeping my cool and acting like hey these are kinda neat, what are they? I got 'em for 2 bucks a piece!

View Profile of thecardcheat Send a personal message to thecardcheat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 7:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-07 18:18, tikifish wrote:
I have the Moai tissue box! My brother bought it in Japan for me. It's quite the conversation piece, though sometimes kleenex gets stuck in his nose.

Hee!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lance Samason
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:16 ]

View Profile of Lance Samason Send a personal message to Lance Samason  Goto the website of Lance Samason     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-07 9:09 pm   Permalink

$85 - Suffering Bastard Mint... sold him a few months later (I have 2 others) for $130; way better performance than the S&P or Nasdaq!

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 2:04 pm   Permalink

polynesianpop wrote:
>>bigbadtikidaddy,
I've heard stories of people doing the same thing here in So Cal. I actually know somebody who took a part-time job at a local thrift specifically so he could get first pick at stuff. All the cool stuff filtered through him and all the crap got put on the shelves. On the other hand, some thrift stores have jumped on the eBay bandwagon and are filtering the good stuff themselves. The last time I was thrifting in Pomona, I overheard two employees talking about the bids they were getting on some of the stuff they had posted.<<

I have heard hushed whispers of such things happening out here too, but thankfully, I havent witnessed it myself. Some stores are so dry CONSTANTLY, that I figure somebody who works there has to be culling the good stuff.
I did hear a rumor that this one rude "picker" couple I see has been spotted hitting that shop after hours & loading up their van with stuff. I hope not.
I know one shop I go to uses ebay as a price guide for their crap & prices stuff really high.
Going as far as getting a job at a thrift seems odd, but those that do that might just be laughing all the way to the bank, who knows?

I bump into the same people all the time in my thrifty travels. I've made friends with some, but alot are weird & secretive. I generally dont tell people my business, but I dont hide it either.
I see one older lady quite often who figured out my ebay seller name by watching the stuff I grab & seeing some of it online.
"I know who you are!" she says one day.
'Really, who am I?' I say.
"You're 'EZcheez' on ebay arent you?"
'uh...yeah'
"I knew it, I KNEW IT!!!" & walks away.
Me: "uh, your point is?"

I could really care less, but she has never approached me again & always gives me the smug fish-eye when I see her, like she's got this big dirty secret on me.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbadtikidaddy on 2002-10-08 14:08 ]

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 8:01 pm   Permalink

I thought I was the only one allowed to give you the fish eye!!!!

Blub... blub...

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 1:57 pm   Permalink

Speaking of thrift store ethics, I wish some of the stores around Santa Barbara would prctice them! There's this one on State St. (downtown) that always seems to have nice stuff, and charges accordingly! I remember a brief time when they were putting crappy records by the likes of such bands like "Chicago" (apoologies to Chicago fans, if any) in plastic sleeves and seeling them for five bucks! This practice, thankfully, has stopped. Another thrift store down the street actually has sales people that try to get you to buy something! I have never heard of any other thrift store doing this in my life! This store has nothing but crap, but chrages MORE that some of the antique stores! These two stores are the Alpha and RADD thrift stores and should be avoided if you are ever out this way.
I did find one tiki mug for $6 at the RADD, and I had to buy, only to arrive in Hawaii months later to find the same mug in every gift shop for $4!
As for the most I've spent, I wish I had the cash some of you seem to have. I spent $12 for a new mug that has done nothing but chip the entire time I've owned it, and I will probably end up throwing it away. That was the most I've ever spent
TR
BTW, Poison Ivy and Lux Interior of The Cramps also worked at Thrift Stores in the '70s just so they could get cool stuff, too, so I guess this has gone on for as long as there have been thruft stores.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 6:51 pm   Permalink

My mom has a Jewish friend who 'helps out' at Christian Church sales for that very reasong. People will say anything to get their foot in the door of a sale first.

TikiJones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-10 9:02 pm   Permalink

About two weeks ago a picked up a Paul Marshall, the one with the arms up not the thumbs up, for a whole $3.00. They had like 6-8 of them in this antique store. Way cool.
Peace out!

View Profile of TikiJones Send a personal message to TikiJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 11:03 am   Permalink

$9.95

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-11 2:57 pm   Permalink

30-40 bucks is my usual max, although I do prefer to snag a mug for a few bucks. The Shag Moatu decantor set will be an exception...hey, come on now, who can resist MOATU?!?

[ This Message was edited by: TikiManiac on 2002-10-11 14:58 ]

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation