FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Kawentzmann
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-12 08:17 am   Permalink

What do you mean: pay?
I trade them for copies of my album. So far I have two mugs.

KK

http://www.kawentzmann.de

View Profile of Kawentzmann Send a personal message to Kawentzmann  Goto the website of Kawentzmann     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-14 2:00 pm   Permalink

I already knew it, but it looks like somebody confirmed my suspicions & added comments that this was indeed a rare ass mug from the Islander, Stockton.
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/unmarked/ads

I was outbid, & it went for $35 on ebay.
How the hell can the same 3 people afford an armload of mugs every week on ebay?
CANT WE SHARE THE LOVE?
Damn!
I reckon the search continues....

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-14 3:30 pm   Permalink

The most I paid for tiki mugs were the two identical commemorative ones offered for sale at the Atlanta Hukilau event. How much were those? $15 each?

I may have paid about $20 for one from Harveys of Lake Tahoe - the tall one with a painted nude island girl on it. This was purchased in the French Quarter in New Orleans about 10 years ago, when I wasn't aware of the tiki subculture. I didn't even know it was a mug .... at the time I thought it was vase.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-14 3:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-14 14:00, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:
I already knew it, but it looks like somebody confirmed my suspicions & added comments that this was indeed a rare ass mug from the Islander, Stockton.
http://www.tikiroom.net/gallery/unmarked/ads

I was outbid, & it went for $35 on ebay.
How the hell can the same 3 people afford an armload of mugs every week on ebay?
CANT WE SHARE THE LOVE?

BBTD,
I saw that mug, put it on "think about later" mode in my mind. Then the pc crapped out one last time and I threw it in the repair shop. That auction ended while the pc was being corrected, it totally slipped my mind. I saw the post on Mike's site...and am bummed.

If that is from Islander (LA) and it looks like it is...one terribly happenin' score indeed. Ugggh...you got outbid on it? Barnacles!

Midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiManiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 09:28 am   Permalink

I don't think anybody spends as much on their tiki mugs as this guy!

http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?MfcISAPICommand=ViewBidItems&userid=danlovestikis&completed=1&sort=3&all=0&rows=0

View Profile of TikiManiac Send a personal message to TikiManiac      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 09:41 am   Permalink

You just got to know Wendy and Dan. If they want it, they will get it. Wish I could do that!

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 11:06 am   Permalink

color me curious...
I added up the total this cat spent on tiki in the last 30 days:
$1959.98

HOLY TRUST FUND!

buying $2,000 a month in tiki mugs on ebay is insane!

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 12:09 pm   Permalink

$1958.98.. Whoa, did that include shipping?! That's TWICE as much as my MORTGAGE payment!

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SullTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-10-15 11:06, bigbadtikidaddy wrote:buying $2,000 a month in tiki mugs on ebay is insane!

It might be insane to you. But we're all in different financial situations. If he's got the money and it makes him happy, who is it hurting? As far as i'm concerned it does not hurt anyone...but may only be pissing off those of us who can't afford to spend that much...

View Profile of SullTiki Send a personal message to SullTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 2:41 pm   Permalink

I can't believe this guy paid so much for Tiki Bob mugs. What is the big deal? I'll admit, I'd never befre seen the one he paid $294 for, but why? And what's with the Tiki Bob's "tree tiki" mug that looks like a barn owl? Why are these so coveted by collectors? I have seen much cooler NEW tiki mugs. Not to get off topic, but could someone explain the appeal of these mugs? Do people just want them b/c they're rare?

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

$1958.98.. Whoa, did that include shipping?! That's TWICE as much as my MORTGAGE payment!

One could get a nice one-bedroom apartment in my area for that $1900, but utilities will be extra. If you're willing to go studio apt., could get you in for $1300 or so.

It's not how much I pay for a mug, it's how much someone has paid me. If you cannot beat 'em, sell to 'em! On that note, lok for new "must have" items from everyone's Tiki pal, midnite, coming this week.

No Tiki Bob Moari types, but good junk(gems of unmatched appeal and value) nonetheless.

Open thy wallets and bid...it's good for the soul, yessir!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:20 pm   Permalink

It might be insane to you. But we're all in different financial situations. If he's got the money and it makes him happy, who is it hurting? As far as i'm concerned it does not hurt anyone...but may only be pissing off those of us who can't afford to spend that much...

First off, it doesnt piss me off at all.
I can afford to pay more for stuff once in a while, but usually choose not to.
I sell stuff too, so trust me, I dont hate ANY big spenders!
If you have the cash, go ahead baby.
My point is: I dont care if you have a rock star budget or not.
To spend $2000 in 30 days on tiki mugs (to me)is an insane amount.
I cant help but wonder what the market will bear for these things once the "tiki resurgence" runs its course.
Good lord, if I chipped or broke a mug I paid $300 for, I think I'd puke.

PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Why are these so coveted by collectors? I have seen much cooler NEW tiki mugs. Not to get off topic, but could someone explain the appeal of these mugs? Do people just want them b/c they're rare?

Trader_Rick,
Yes, there are a lot of new tiki mugs that look cool but I think its safe to say that serious collectors are after the rare ones. Tiki Bob's in San Francisco has long since been closed and as far as I know, there was only one location. As such, this mug is pretty rare. I personally would choose a rare mug over a new one, simply because the new ones are so abundant and just about anybody can get 'em just about anywhere. I would personally love to add this TB tiki to my collection any day but, as I mentioned in another post, its simply out of my financial reach.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:38 pm   Permalink

Exactly where was Tiki Bob's and when did it close? Is the tiki pole outside the door still there?

:maitai:

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Double Crown
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-15 3:49 pm   Permalink

I've gotta say, I actually prefer new mugs to vintage ones, at least at this stage of collection. I have about 20 mugs and I drink out of all but about 5 of them. I actually like using them, and I just get an uneasy feeling about drinking out of old mugs. Like many others here, my faves are the TikiFarm mugs, although I use some of my cheep-o $5 mugs quite a bit too. My whole collection probably cost 1/2 of what that single Tiki Bob mug cost on Ebay. I figure by the time I have all the $5 - $18 mugs I want I will have run out of space to display them, so I really don't see a time where I will be tempted by rare mugs that I either can't drink out of or would be too scared to drink out of because it cost me 300 frickin' dollars!

Sean
http://www.doublecrownrecords.com

View Profile of Double Crown Send a personal message to Double Crown  Email Double Crown Goto the website of Double Crown     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation