FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 4:01 pm   Permalink

The TB Maori mug is cool, but not $300 cool! And the "tiki tree" style is so lame looking IMO. But then again, I don't like Fu Manchu style mugs either, though I see the appeal.

I buy mugs to DRINK out of. If I want to display something, I'll buy a mask or an idol. I get the impression that if you spend $300 on a mug, it's just going to be looked at, b/c you would be terrified of dropping it. I wouldn't buy a vintage mug unless I could drink out of it, or at least use it for SOMETHING. It would drive me nuts if it just sat on my shelf. I hope that everyone here who spends more than $10 on a mug is at least getting some use out of it.

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 5:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Exactly where was Tiki Bob's and when did it close? Is the tiki pole outside the door still there?

Bob's was at the corner of Taylor/Post. Much info is in Sven's book. Bob did try and franchise the scene a few times. The well-known example of his effort was the Sacramento Tiki Bob's. Bob's been closed for well on 20 years now, the location being used for a number of horrid purposes.

Tiki Bob is still out front, I believe he's a load-bearing idol, hee hee. He has been disgraced with a myriad of new paint schemes, but he still greets the day with aplomb.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-15 6:19 pm   Permalink

My Soul.

Luckily I got it back later in a trade for a Light My Firebird and an Evil Weevil!

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-07 12:52 am   Permalink

Just bumping up this relatively old post. Not so old in years, but perhaps a simpler (and certainly cheaper) time when a full set of Shag mugs was a real wallet-hammerer at $150.

Since then, I've stuck to my $30 limit apart from the first Gecko mug, which cost $35 (I think).

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-07 05:54 am   Permalink

Where I live, tiki doesn't exist in the wild, so I don't have access to $0.59 tiki mugs at Goodwill and thrift stores...with the exception of a Trader Vics coconut mug I found once for $1.00. 99% of the mugs I buy are from Ebay or Tiki Farm.

Funny though, the most I ever paid for a mug was also $30.00! A couple of years ago I was dying for a vintage Mr. Bali Hai and paid $30 for it.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-07 10:25 am   Permalink

My limit is $10.00, but I too went over my limit once for a Mr. Bali Hai ($20.00)

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-07 6:21 pm   Permalink

99cents the cheapest and $179.00 the most expensive....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki junkman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-08 12:59 pm   Permalink

For vintage, I would say $30 is my max. But now all these limited edition Shag mugs that have come out... break out my extra kidney!

tj

View Profile of tiki junkman Send a personal message to tiki junkman  Email tiki junkman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2005-05-08 8:14 pm   Permalink

The most i ever payed for a mug was my soul (slightly used...).

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 08:19 am   Permalink

I ususally stay in the $15-$30 range, buying new mugs. I have paid $60-$80 for some things I really wanted off of ebay.

And then there were the 40th anniversary Enchanted Tiki Room mugs. But hey, they were Disney. And Shag. Ended up ebay'ing them for $120 for the totem and $130 for the goblet.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 09:05 am   Permalink

Anybody have a pic of this "tree tiki" mentioned in this thread?

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
roadkutter
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-05-09 10:39 am   Permalink

So is this Auction on eBay a carry on from this thread?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3973587450&rd=1

The $30 tiki... Or is it a girlfriend trying to thin out the heard?

View Profile of roadkutter Send a personal message to roadkutter  Email roadkutter Goto the website of roadkutter     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 10:46 am   Permalink

I know I have paid $1, maybe less for mugs. My max was around $200 or was it $300? I don't recall. I just know two "musts" came along together. One was a perfect Mai Kai decanter with the cork, label, rum inside and the hang tag. And then came along the drum mug. In those two, I spent too much!

My average keeps creeping up, but I would say it's under $20 at this point. Regular $2-$10 mugs, but also regular $20-$50 mugs.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 11:59 am   Permalink

I'm with Philot. I've been buying the higher and higher price mugs as I get more and more into the tiki world and actually better mugs are being made all the time. The mug makers seem to be toppong their last mug.
A lot of peple here like vintage but I'm wasn't around when some of these mugs were even created. I bet some of the vintage mugs were free with a drink, back in the day so actually paying any amount for them is paying too much. (don't get mad at me, I do understand all about the appeal) but the new mugs that are sold for 20.00 are worth the price if you like them cause that is the price that they are. They were never cheaper and you know that you aren't paying 8.00 for a 1.00 mug cause that is an 800% increase. This is a good piont for the mug selling companys.
On the other hand, is a mug really worth 30.00? I mean , if you like it, yes but stores like can sell a non-tiki mug of the same qualtiy and finish for 3.00 dollars. And 3.00 dollar may be the highest price someone is willing to pay. Just a thought. So I just that I am head-over-crazy for the tiki too.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-09 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-05-09 11:59, teaKEY wrote:
I'm with Philot. I've been buying the higher and higher price mugs as I get more and more into the tiki world and actually better mugs are being made all the time. The mug makers seem to be toppong their last mug.
A lot of peple here like vintage but I'm wasn't around when some of these mugs were even created. I bet some of the vintage mugs were free with a drink, back in the day so actually paying any amount for them is paying too much. (don't get mad at me, I do understand all about the appeal) but the new mugs that are sold for 20.00 are worth the price if you like them cause that is the price that they are. They were never cheaper and you know that you aren't paying 8.00 for a 1.00 mug cause that is an 800% increase. This is a good piont for the mug selling companys.
On the other hand, is a mug really worth 30.00? I mean , if you like it, yes but stores like can sell a non-tiki mug of the same qualtiy and finish for 3.00 dollars. And 3.00 dollar may be the highest price someone is willing to pay. Just a thought. So I just that I am head-over-crazy for the tiki too.

I am a vintage collector. The new mugs have no interest for me for a few reasons. Number one, they have no history. They are made by an artist as a collectible. The vintage mugs were made by an artist to be drunk out of at a tiki bar. The new mugs may never have a drink served in them. The vintage mugs may have had hundreds of drinks served in them. Modern mugs have no place. Vintage mugs often can be traced to a restaurant that used them. New mugs are bought in retail stores and vintage mugs must be found in antique or thrift stores or on Ebay. They are out "in the wild" adrift at sea waiting to wash up on some shore where us collectors will find them. "How did this Bali H'ai get to Tennessee?" A story. A history. A depth.

As for value, I find more value in a vintage mug than a new mug too. The new mug has an artificial value due to the popularity of it's artist maker. The cost of making it makes it cost a certain amount, but it's long term value depends on who is out there looking for a Munktiki. A vintage mug has a value more based on scarity. A leilani can be had for 50 cents. That's pretty close to the free mug you talk about coming with your drink. And you can get those dollar mugs. But the high price mugs are only going to get more valuable. There are only a certian number out there and no one knows how many or when another one will appear.

When I know I can buy a mug at the store any time I want, I have little interest in ever buying it. Even if it's a limited edition. I have to really want it. When I see a vintage mug at the antique store, I know this is likely the only time I will ever see that mug (unless it's those darned common ones...) and I have to buy it before it slips away...

I can make a drink in my vinatge mug and connect with the past.

A lot of collectibles were things given away. Part of the value lies in that it was disposable and survives. That's also why, for many years, antiques dealers just threw them away, and may still do so...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation