FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
So whats the most u paid for a mug?
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-26 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-10-26 14:32, Formikahini wrote:
And if I were to find a Steve Crane bloody head, I'd be whipping out the checkbook for up to $500 - and selling it on eBay. But I'd hope it were cheaper so I could keep it myself

It's wild reading this thread and how little people were paying for mugs in 2002 and now it seems the sky's the limit!

I actually saw a REAL SCA BLOODY HEAD sell on ebay and it was, to date, the MOST EXPENSIVE mug I have ever seen sell on ebay at OVER $1000!
Oddly enough the GECKO/Wendy tribute version called the BLOODY MAORI HEAD sold for nearly $800 for the First Edition One off Glaze.....Now you can buy one on GECKO's ebay page for $500!

I guess like all art, (see the thread about the SHAG print...I still don't understand why people pay such crazy money for that but hey, that's just me!), it's a matter of supply and demand and MOST IMPORTANTLY personal taste!

The other thing is the LEVEL of art that the mugs have become!
On the higher end most people never even drink from their MUGS!
I only have a handful left that I would even consider drinking from!

Oh yea, MY MOST EXPENSIVE? $400 for a GECKO piece....the ones that I am always willing to spend the most on! I have Nearly 30 GECKO's now!

What DO I drink out of.....mostly Tiki Farm....there are collectors but there are so many cool, inexpensive and most importantly USEABLE MUGS!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-27 02:20 am   Permalink

well, dont bite my head off. but a good friend of mine once told me...art is 10% talent and 90% bullshit. and it made sense to me. the most I paid was $40 for a hoffman kahiki headhunter. a friend had it and I wanted it so bad, I was willing to pay alot more. yes I started earlier on and got alot for $1. it's all about history for me. if someone did'nt drink from it in some kinda restaurant/lounge, I don't want it(now thats just me). I just started redoing my lounge, and they are causing me some stress, trying to find places for them.(no I wont sell them). I dont want my space to be dominated by tiki mugs.hmmmmmmmm. what to do? anyway, the most is $40. and that will stay the most.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-27 06:10 am   Permalink

Kinda new to TC but have been collecting for a few years. Out of a hundread or so mugs the most I paid was 35$. The best was a Mauna Loa bamboo with bird handle for eight bucks. Found it in the wild marked bamboo vase. Still good hunting in my area. For Now.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr_Feel_Good

Posted: 2006-10-30 8:08 pm   Permalink

I've spent a little over $50 (for a mug)...$150 for a shag decanter. But I think my limit is usually about $30...unless its a LE of 25 or 100...then its a whole different ball game.

View Profile of Dr_Feel_Good Send a personal message to Dr_Feel_Good  Goto the website of Dr_Feel_Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-10-31 09:46 am   Permalink

137.00 But it was the Beauty & the Beast hula girl in the Tiki's mouth mug. It was a must have. (Oh the shame) Spent 87.00 on the Voodoo Grog. Found alot in the wild for far less than what some folks are dropping on these now.

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thistle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-16 1:57 pm   Permalink

At this point, most expensive, $45.00+, average is $10.-25., all are used (I mean that I USE them, not just display them), pricier than stuff from IKEA, but also more interesting...

[ This Message was edited by: thistle 2006-11-27 17:08 ]

View Profile of thistle Send a personal message to thistle  Email thistle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-11-17 11:29 am   Permalink

[/quote]

Dr.TikiMojo wrote:

Oh yea, MY MOST EXPENSIVE? $400 for a GECKO piece....the ones that I am always willing to spend the most on! I have Nearly 30 GECKO's now!
[/quote]
What DO I drink out of.....mostly Tiki Farm....there are collectors but there are so many cool, inexpensive and most importantly USEABLE MUGS!
[/quote]

ALOHA!... Dude share your Gecko's I would love to see your collection!

I wish more great collectors would post their mugs. I love seeing everyones collections.

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-11-17 11:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Hiphipahula 2006-11-17 11:40 ]

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aloha John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-18 6:16 pm   Permalink

I honestly don't remember how much it was but this was the most expensive "mug" I have bought...

I don't know if that really counts at a "mug" though...

The "It's All About the Tiki" show was when I officially became a tiki mug collector. We bought Pizz's Martin and Lewis, and Franco's Cockeye, and Shag's 3 piece set, and my girlfriend got the last Shag bracelet they had...and then we said-whoa we spent waaay too much already we can't get that Outrigger set, no way. So we hung out for a little while and had some more cocktails and....out came the VISA. I am sure glad I got it!

View Profile of Aloha John Send a personal message to Aloha John  Email Aloha John Goto the website of Aloha John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 09:05 am   Permalink

25 cents

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 09:39 am   Permalink

you got the best 25 cent mugs that I have seen. And those are just the high priced ones you got. The 8 cent ones are probably nice too.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 10:20 am   Permalink

The most I've paid was $170, in total, for three Tiki Bobs off of ebay. The idea being that I would sell two of them to pay for one (if I was lucky). That was the plan. But, having them, well, I can't bring myself to do it.

Aside from that, the most would be the $50 for Tiki Tony's Fatutu. I generally don't go for new mugs (various TC artist's mugs excepted), but that thing is so frigging odd that I had to. I like it a lot. It shares two (to me) important qualities with the Tiki Bobs—it dosen't look like, or even remotely resemble, any other tiki out there and it's a great design. I'm beginning to think TT is the Dr. Suess of tiki. That's a good thing.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2006-11-19 10:54 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-19 4:03 pm   Permalink

The most I've paid to date is $50 for the Munktiki Tiki Oasis 6 mug. However, I am part of the second batch of Ohana Hut mugs, which will become my most expensive mug (I can't remember, $90 or $100).

For all other mugs, I once gave in and spent $37.00 for a Tiki Bob-style mug from the Bali Hai, Louisiana.

I've noticed that price inflation on mugs is so bad now, that I've noticed a need to spend approximately $10 more per mug for most named vintage mugs than last year.

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wolli
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-11-20 07:41 am   Permalink

The most expensive mug I bought was a Crazy Al mug for 65 bucks.

I wouldn't pay more than 100 US$ for a mug. It also depends on the design and the edition.
But don't ask how much money I spent for shipping for all my tikimugs right now.

View Profile of Wolli Send a personal message to Wolli  Goto the website of Wolli     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-11-25 12:56 pm   Permalink

Most of the mugs I have are in the $10.00 to $20.00 range. I've bid up to $50.00 on e-Bay but never won one of those auctions. The most I spent on a mug was less than $30.00. I have gone over $50.00 for art work. In my neck of the woods, upstate New York, I don't see much in the wild. I did get some Coco Joe's stuff at an estate sale but for me that's been pretty rare. Most of what I have has come from e-Bay. All it takes is for two people to want the same thing at the same time on e-Bay and the price can get crazy. I find I do better just being patient. If I don't get it this time than maybe next time will be the charm. If the Tiki gods wanted me to have it now then they would have made it available at my price don't you think? I don't care if the market drops out because I've never bought anything with the thought of selling and I have no intention of selling anything in this lifetime.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-04 12:52 pm   Permalink

Well, for most mugs, either on Ebay or in the wild, the most I've every paid seems to be in the neighborhood of $30. Weird.

I agree with Swanky and some of the others that the old mugs are the most fun to collect because there's a story associated with them. I was in Lynden, Washington for a Memorial weekend family reunion earlier this year. In one of the antique stores, I found a Daga mug from the Maui Lu-- got it for $8. The thing that kills me is who brought a tiki mug to a place like Lynden in the first place. It boggles the mind.

Most of the newer inexpensive mugs that I buy get used in my home bar.
I have purchased some LE mugs of a new design for $50 and up but usually because I like the design or because it's from an event I attended. It might not have "history", but it means something to me.
I also like supporting the artists and manufacturers that are getting new mugs into restaurants. I've got one of Gecko's kava bowls from La Mariana, a tiki farm mug from Da Big Kahuna in Waikiki, the mugs from the Purple Orchid, a Mr. Bali Hai, a Munktiki from Hula's in Monterey.
I believe in supporting those manufacturers and restaurants so that when I go to a tiki bar there's a good chance I can get a drink in an actual tiki mug. Sweet.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation