FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Is Your Favorite Music Store Extinct?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Is Your Favorite Music Store Extinct?
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-22 2:01 pm   Permalink

I grew up in Cerritos CA. And I got my first record at a store called Best Records wich later turned into Tempo Records. Then there was always Middle Earth in Downey!!! I will never forget those stores because my dad would take me once a week to pick out any record I wanted for doing my chores. When I became a teenager I would always find myself at Zed's in Long Beach and Arrons in Hollywood!!!! I really miss all the Independant record stores in my old Neighborhood!!! Now I buy most of my music at Ameoba. I think the internet and the downloading Music has really screwed up the Record Store experience. And I'll be the first to admit that I am as much to blame for it as everybody else.
Later,
Spermy

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2005-01-22 14:02 ]

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-23 12:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-21 13:49, TikiGardener wrote:
Last I saw, Folk Arts Records was still going in the Normal Heights section of San Diego.

Nice little shop.

Sorry TG, Folk Arts Records has lost it's lease in Normal Heights. They're looking for a new location & they're having a fundraiser at Dizzy's on Jan 30th to raise money for the move.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-23 1:09 pm   Permalink

Thats a damn shame, I hope they find a place. If you hear anything about the new location, let me know. I have a freind who loves that place. He might not be there often enough to know about this, and if they do find a new location e might just think they'd gone out of business.

Kinda like the scare I had with Lifes Little Pleasures, AND Wear It Again Sam.

I literally drove up o the last location for Lifes Little Pleasures and fortunatley saw the owner coming down form his apartment. I was aghast that the storefront was gone. But he was still doing his Halloween sale from his apartment!

When Wear It Again Sam moved, all I saw was the old location gutted and empty. Nearly brought me to tears. I'd been shopping there for 15 years. It was one of the last places I went to before my 10 year east coast adventure.

Later on the day I saw that the empty husk of the store, We were wondering Hillcrest, and I saw the new location. Talk about luck. If they had moved anywhere else, I would have just thought they were gone.
The owners are like extended family to me.

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 5:44 pm   Permalink

Wenzels Music in Downey on Lakewood Blvd. Huge inventory of 45's from the Fifties and Sixties. And of special interest to tikiphiles because it was just a block or two away from the Tahitian Village Motel. The Surfaris recorded some stuff there. It was a favorite place to shop for Dave and Phil Alvin of the Blasters.

It disappeared sometime in the 90's.

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 8:15 pm   Permalink

I don't know if anybody mentioned either Canterbury Records, and Cliffs Books on Colorado in Pasadena. Cliffs has been closed for a little while, apparently some sort of strucural problem with the building.
And Canterbury has a pretty decent selection.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 8:44 pm   Permalink

My favorite store is extinct! It's Rare Records in Glendale, California on Broadway (two blocks over from Colorado Blvd.) It was owned by Ray Avery, one of the famous jazz photographers. It had an amazing collection of vinyl! I used to ride my bike over there after high school and blow my allowance almost every week. I went home to visit the parents a couple years ago and it was gone ... bummer!

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 8:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-25 20:44, CruzinTiki wrote:
My favorite store is extinct! It's Rare Records in Glendale, California on Broadway (two blocks over from Colorado Blvd.) It was owned by Ray Avery, one of the famous jazz photographers. It had an amazing collection of vinyl! I used to ride my bike over there after high school and blow my allowance almost every week. I went home to visit the parents a couple years ago and it was gone ... bummer!

Great story CT. Never heard of the place.
I can only imagine the record stores in Santa Cruz from the 60's to the 80's,
Welcome back!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks Unga Bunga! It looks like you've been busy!

Streetlight Records in Santa Cruz actually has a pretty eclectic mix of music ... if you're willing to dig you can find some treasures.

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-01-26 11:48 am   Permalink

Do any San Diegans (or ex-San Diegans) remember Encore Records on El Cajon Blvd. near San Diego State? I used to take the bus there in the 70s before I could drive. They only stocked 45s and they had thousands of them, all for 35 cents each! (Except for a small amount of rarer records behind the counter.) I blew my allowance several times on stacks of 45s, which were the start of my record collection.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-13 9:28 pm   Permalink

Just revisiting this to add my friends record store's address

Don's Music
4873 Eagle Rock Blvd
Just two or so blocks south of Colorado in Eagle Rock.

Per square foot, hes got one of the best selections in town.

Hopefully he'll post some of his auctions soon.
TG

Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 05:33 am   Permalink

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Beggar's Banquet in Anaheim was THE record store when I was a kid. Man, I always regret not getting that Dickies white vinyl that was up on the wall....

Ben, you gotta remember this place?!?!?!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-04-14 05:34 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 05:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-22 14:01, The Sperm Whale wrote:
I grew up in Cerritos CA. And I got my first record at a store called Best Records wich later turned into Tempo Records. Then there was always Middle Earth in Downey!!! I will never forget those stores because my dad would take me once a week to pick out any record I wanted for doing my chores. When I became a teenager I would always find myself at Zed's in Long Beach and Arrons in Hollywood!!!! I really miss all the Independant record stores in my old Neighborhood!!! Now I buy most of my music at Ameoba. I think the internet and the downloading Music has really screwed up the Record Store experience. And I'll be the first to admit that I am as much to blame for it as everybody else.
Later,
Spermy

[ This Message was edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2005-01-22 14:02 ]

Middle Earth was great! I bought my first Bad Brains album there. Is it still around? Zed's will be missed, it just recently closed...

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 06:55 am   Permalink

In my opinion what obviously "did-in" the great record stores was the damn CD... don't get me wrong I like CDs but I absolutely love vinyl! When it comes to reggae, my favorite of all music genres, the LP, 7" and 12" were and in a lot of cases continue to be the primary medium for selling this music to the masses. A lot of great reggae was originally pressed on plastic and will never see the light of day on CD... there is just too much of a backlog of music and clearly not a large enough interest or financial reward to re-release albums. It's odd but I've noticed that a lot of Jamaicans really have no regard to their musical legacy and if it isn't the latest single, on the latest riddim, with the newest DJ du jour then it isn't worth listening to. I've heard horror stories of when songs had reached their "expiration date" people would just toss them in the trash. I've even heard of people taking their old records, minus their sleeves (cardboard once was a hot commodity in Jamaica and they recycled everything to make album cover - I even have an older LP whose cover was a laundry detergent box) and stacking them in a leaky out-building on their property and letting the heat and humidity do their number on god knows how many forgotten classics. I think older/vintage reggae would be extinct if it wasn't for the British who always enjoyed and respected the music more than Americans did and who held onto these records as the treasures they are. Damn I've gotten way off topic....

Anyway my friends and I would take a trip to Philadelphia every spring and fall to buy reggae vinyl. They had the closest Tower Records, when they still sold records, and another small store called 3rd Street Jazz. I remember when we first stopped at 3rd Street and I got out of the car thinking, "this place isn't gonna have anything." Oh...my...god! I had died and gone to heaven! They had a massive, I mean MASSIVE, reggae section - a good 8-10 bins wide and the coolest thing was the majority of it was used and dirt cheap! I remember leaving after the first trip with, I'm not exaggerating, 50 records... at the time it was the largest check I'd ever written to pay for it all but it was one of the most fulfilling experiences in my life! Well we quickly abandoned South Street's Tower and drove directly to 3rd Street on every trip! I had started noticing an influx of CDs and to make a long story a little less longer than it already is... one of the last times we went the reggae vinyl was clearly picked over and everything that remained was marked down. The last time we set foot in 3rd Street Jazz the only vinyl that remained was their namesake... paradise was lost. Sure they had a decent CD selection but who wanted to pay $12.00 for an album you could have gotten on vinyl for $4.00? I miss that place!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PapeToaTane
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 09:22 am   Permalink

Anybody remember the "Field of Za'ad" record store in Santa Monica, circa 1970-75? Pico Blvd, just east of Lincoln (11th St.??) 20 bonus points if you do! Great used section! Much of my allowance was spent there, and countless hours pouring through the stacks of wax. I think my vinyl copy of Surrealistic Pillow came from there, used, for $1.00.

View Profile of PapeToaTane Send a personal message to PapeToaTane  Email PapeToaTane Goto the website of PapeToaTane     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thomas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-14 3:14 pm   Permalink

I assume Scotty's in Madison, NJ is extinct, but haven't been there in quite a while. I do know that I borrowed my friend's older brother's Surrealistic Pillow, bought when the album first came out and still in mint condition, and left it my the car in August, causing it to warp into a shape that would have been funny if, well, if it weren't an unmitigated disaster. This caused some discomfort between us for quite some time. I tried to play the clueless airhead ("bummer, man! I had no idea!...") but it didn't help matters.

View Profile of Thomas Send a personal message to Thomas      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation