FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Help / Opinion: Brandy as a Mixer
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Help / Opinion: Brandy as a Mixer
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-22 1:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-22 07:35, Satan's Sin wrote:
Trader --
They also told me that the Swiss kiss each other three times in greeting, but the French and Spanish only twice, and this I do not believe.

Ok, you are getting into a much more complicated story. Every regions have their customs. Here, in Paris, you kiss twice, in some french cities you only kiss once (on the right cheek), in other places (on villages mostly) you kiss 4 times, or sometimes 3.
But it could get more difficult : with my grandparents or uncles and aunts it is 4 times, with my parents, cousins, brother 2 times, with a cousin from the north of France it's 3 times, and with my wife only once, but with the tongue

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JerseyRED
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-31 1:57 pm   Permalink

Amazing! Simply amazing!
Not only did I receive solid information for my question but now know that I might be kissed in a foreign country NUMEROUS times!

Seriously, thanks all for your input!!

Rich

PS Yes, cocktails like jazz are an American creation. And if I may, my personal book recommendation on classic cocktails and history is Ted “Dr. Cocktail” Haigh’s (of cocktaildb.com fame) Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails. It’s a great read.

Will Sinclair

View Profile of JerseyRED Send a personal message to JerseyRED      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FreakBear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 11:10 pm   Permalink

1 oz Rum (Barbencourt)
.25 oz triple sec (or Amaretto)
.5 oz cheap-ass apricot brandy
1.25 oz O.J.
splash of cherry syrup (for "not-so-sweet" try cranberry juice)
splash of lime

Stir on the rocks!

View Profile of FreakBear Send a personal message to FreakBear      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-10 7:06 pm   Permalink

Do ya'll mind if I resusitate this ol' thread to ask what brandy would you recommend to have in the home bar as a mixer? Are there any new favorites since this thread first started?
Would you recommend Martell as Ted Haigh does in Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Coctails or do you have a more preferred brand?
As suspected previously, some recommendations that we have seen are not quite liqour store findable in some parts.

Yes, I want to use good quality, but not too top knotch that it would be too much for the mixed drink. Just curious to know what those would be before the purchase.

Thank for your understanding.

[ This Message was edited by: I dream of tiki 2006-04-23 15:59 ]

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-24 08:27 am   Permalink

For what my opinions worth: Hennesy. I'm not big on brandy, but it's what I'd use. Decent, medium price (I think). I haven't bought any in a while. You can sip it or mix it.

Quote:

On 2005-01-21 09:22, Satan's Sin wrote:
The origins of the word "cocktail" is itself lost to history, although there are many -- mostly funny -- explanations of how it was coined.

Quote:

On 2005-01-31 13:57, JerseyRED wrote:
And if I may, my personal book recommendation on classic cocktails and history is Ted “Dr. Cocktail” Haigh’s (of cocktaildb.com fame) Vintage Spirits & Forgotten Cocktails. It’s a great read.

From that book: "Cocktails were morning drinks. Nobody knows for sure, but I feel certain that they were named cocktails because they were your wakeup call—like a rooster heralding the early morning light."

As good as anything I guess. There are some weekends where I've used that phrase to advantage.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2005-11-24 08:45 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I dream of tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-23 4:02 pm   Permalink

Another bump to this thread.

I've run across a few people in the bartending/liquor sales worlds that really like Remy. Has anyone else tried it and how would you rate it as a mixer?

View Profile of I dream of tiki Send a personal message to I dream of tiki  Email I dream of tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-23 4:27 pm   Permalink

Sorry to get off topic IDOT, but speaking of brandy based tiki drinks...lately I've REALLY been enjoying the Pisco Cocktail from the Trader Vic Tiki Party book. Outstanding little drink and very simple to make.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jazzman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-04-23 7:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-23 16:02, I dream of tiki wrote:
Another bump to this thread.

I've run across a few people in the bartending/liquor sales worlds that really like Remy. Has anyone else tried it and how would you rate it as a mixer?

I've been lurking here a while now. Long before I was interested in anything tiki I drank mostly single malt scotch or cognac neat. Remy XO happens to be my favorite congac, but waaaay to nice to mix with anything. I've liked all the other Remys I've had however. I've been using lowly Christian Bros in my Scorpions and it seems just fine. Maybe I'll mix one up with Remy XO and see if it's any better. Hennesy VS is also pretty solid for the money and would probably mix nicely. I now promise to go over to the new members thread and introduce myself.

View Profile of jazzman Send a personal message to jazzman  Email jazzman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation