FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Decided not to do it... Thanks for all of the good advice!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Decided not to do it... Thanks for all of the good advice!
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 8:27 pm   Permalink

I think you did the right thing with this guy. he didn't sound too trustworthy. Don't sell wholsale until you are ready to produce items by the dozen and price accordingly. Don't let anyone talk you away from that part of your plan. As an artist you will always want to create what is in your heart and people around you will love it, but that isn't necessarily what sells. You will find that you need to also create items that will sell which may not be exactly what you want to create, but it will pay the bills and afford you the chance to create things thet inspire you. That is the hard part of being an artist. You Also have to be a business manager and the two Rarely see eye to eye. Listen to the manager sometimes and the manager will have to hear you sometimes.
I hope this makes sense??

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sonofabeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-10 09:16 am   Permalink

I get approched several times a month to wholesale my products.I set a price and thats it.The fact of the matter is if anyone wanted to duplicate your item it seems senseless to spend a great deal of time negoating cost.He or she would buy one and copy it.It seems this person may actully be interested in your items and is making every attempt to come to a mutual understanding and cost.Do not undersale yourself.You know want your bottom line is.However you may not want to throw away a good opportunity to future success if that is your goal.Every wholeseller attempts to get the best possible price.Some of these people are ruthless and will try everything to beat you down to their terms and conditions.Does not make them bad just doing what they do best.Buying at the lowest price possible.Let people know your products are avaliable for wholesale and a list of products priced per piece or in quanity.If someone wants one item it is one price and if they order 10 it is a lesser price.Buy 50 for a better deal.Consider contracts as well.This is where you will want to include your position on copy rights.It may not stop someone from making copies but you will at the very least have a legal document to fall back on if need be.You have to break out of the box to become sucessful.

View Profile of sonofabeach Send a personal message to sonofabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-10 11:03 am   Permalink

I don't make my stuff for sale because its personal and one of a kind. But there are many good reason to sell. Son is right about them just buying one and copying it. Maybe I didn't read this but did they want many of the same looking product. Actually they could just make a copy of something like yours without buying anything from you at all. There IS something nice about hand-made products.
I would actually like a make a mass produced mug as I said before and I wouldn't care if I made a dime as long as my mug was enjoyed by the masses. That enjoyment would be enough for me, but money is good too.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation