FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tonga Lei, Malibu, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Tonga Lei, Malibu, CA (restaurant)
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-21 11:15 am   Permalink

Name:Tonga Lei
Type:restaurant
Street:22878 Pacific Coast Highway
City:Malibu
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Below are 3 views of the Tonga Lei, from a jumbo postcard recently found:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-01-22 01:02 am   Permalink

Fantastic, Puamana!

I've only seen the outside view before. I love the tapa-patterned booths and the giant Maori-style tiki. Thanks much for posting these. I think I may scour the Malibu garage sales and thrift stores looking for that volcano bowl.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 8:04 pm   Permalink

That's great, I always liked comparing how close the exterior was to the Menu rendering.

Looks like their cocktails were not very good though, judging by the reaction of that Tiki to the Volcano bowl

In the menu, the drink illustrations are hand drawn, and there is a rendering of a bowl with three little PIGS holding it. I am assuming it was just a fantasy, since I never saw or heard of such a design...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 12:16 pm   Permalink

That place is so beautiful! I like the continuous hut/roof that extends over the booths. Great find.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
floratina
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 12:19 pm   Permalink

I wonder if the building has been torn down.

View Profile of floratina Send a personal message to floratina  Email floratina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Bird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 12:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-22 01:02, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

I think I may scour the Malibu garage sales and thrift stores looking for that volcano bowl.

Sabu

Very nice volcano bowl!

TBird.

View Profile of Tiki Bird Send a personal message to Tiki Bird  Email Tiki Bird     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho

Posted: 2005-01-25 2:05 pm   Permalink

I thought that the interior looked familiar. The address is the same as the Malibu Beach Inn, which is where the Malibu Don The Beachcomber was located.

http://www.malibubeachinn.com/

So, the Tonga Lei became Don The Beachcomber, which is now a hotel with no tiki. Yes, the old building was knocked down to put up the hotel.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:05 pm   Permalink

The 1983 movie "Losin' It" with Tom Cruise & Shelley Long is set in 1965 Los Angeles/Mexico, and has a role called "Tonga Lei doorman." I've never seen this movie... is it too much to hope that it may have at least some exterior shots of the real, actual Tonga Lei during its twilight years?

IMDB summary:

"Teen sex comedy set in 1965 which follows four Los Angeles school friends, Woody, Dave, Spider, Wendell and the series of misadventures they get into when they travel south of the border to Tijuana, Mexico for a night of cruisin', causing trouble, and to settle a pact to lose their virginity before the night is over, while a young woman, named Kathy, accompanies them for different reasons: to arrange a quick divorce from her husband."

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
peacockangel

Posted: 2005-02-22 11:39 pm   Permalink

View Profile of peacockangel Send a personal message to peacockangel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
peacockangel

Posted: 2005-02-22 11:51 pm   Permalink

I remember this restaurant very well indeed! It seems to me that the postcard showing the exterior of the building must have been taken sometime in the 60's, because I went there from about 1972 - 79. I remember first going when I was around 5 or 6 years old, and the exterior was slightly different. I recall two GIANT Easter Island tikis along with massive torches flanking the front entrance way, rather than the two flagpole tall torches on the postcard. Once you went inside there was a huge blacklite volcano/waterfall diorama with running water in the foyer where you waited to be sat. That blacklight was hell for anybody with lint on their clothes! To my young eyes the whole place was like taking a trip to Disneyland! Too bad it had to go! Glad I saw the postcard /pics...the interior shots hadn't changed, but I believe the exterior had been redone.

View Profile of peacockangel Send a personal message to peacockangel      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac

Posted: 2008-10-08 10:14 pm   Permalink

1976 food menu followed by drink menu:

Polynesiac - putting the "F" back in "ART"

[ This Message was edited by: Polynesiac 2008-10-08 22:16 ]

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-09 07:17 am   Permalink

There's that mysterious PIG Scorpion bowl again...probably remained just an illustration.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-10 1:31 pm   Permalink

Just a little side note... My Dad grew up in Malibu and parked cars at the Tonga Lei for work when he was young.
Any questions you guys have, I could definitely ask him.
Aloha.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-10 1:38 pm   Permalink

Yeah well then: DID they ever use that pig bowl for their Scorpions?

Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 10:02 am   Permalink

Hey Sven, been a long time...
I asked my Dad about that pig bowl and he said politely, "You really think I can remember that bowl?? I was outside parking cars most of the time." And when we WAS in there sneaking a drink, (he was about 17 at the time) he said that he definitely couldn't afford any of the 'expensive' drinks... He said that he was drinking vodka sodas and stuff. I showed him the pictures from TC though and he was reminiscing about the tikis and thatch booths... Pretty cool... Then, my Mom started talking about going to Don the Beachcomber's and drinking Zombies...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation