FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving BobFj40's first Tiki. Let me know what you think
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
BobFj40's first Tiki. Let me know what you think
BobFJ40
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-23 9:37 pm   Permalink

This is my first tiki that I finished. The other one roted on me. Aaron gave me the insperation for this one. Let me know what I should improve on. I know I will be using power tools more next time. It took me about 40 houres with a chisel. Thanks

View Profile of BobFJ40 Send a personal message to BobFJ40  Email BobFJ40 Goto the website of BobFJ40     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
doctiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-23 9:54 pm   Permalink

Dude , if that just your first tiki, do not stop. More, more picture, and more tikis.

View Profile of doctiki Send a personal message to doctiki  Email doctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sonofabeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-23 9:55 pm   Permalink

Nice Tiki.Try a chainsaw.Be careful not to hack half a leg off like i did a few years ago.Took 3 years to get it to work again.The leg not the saw.

View Profile of sonofabeach Send a personal message to sonofabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-23 11:49 pm   Permalink

Screw the chainsaw, stay with the chisels. Hey 40, I gots an fzj80. Best first tiki I've seen in a WHILE.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 12:04 am   Permalink

sweet tiki dude

cant wait to see more stuff - keep it up

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 04:22 am   Permalink

Beutiful Reloy! For a first attempt it is with no exception that you continue carving and keep us all posted. Welcome to the board.

Mahalo

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
docwoods
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 06:14 am   Permalink

Great job! Apparently having your cat around helps tremendously.

View Profile of docwoods Send a personal message to docwoods  Email docwoods     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 06:23 am   Permalink

WOW, How did I miss this post?? That is a Spectacular First Tiki. The Cat ain't bad either. The only thing I can suggest is to get yourself a fw more logs and prepare to make More tikis. Once you do a couple more like this, let your Own creative juices flow and make up your own tiki style. Stick with the chisels as they are working Well for you. Oh, and on more thing, Hang around that Aaron guy more... If he inspired THIS out of you, let him do some more..
And AAALWAYS take pictures and post them here. Well Done.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 06:28 am   Permalink

Wow, great work Bob.
That is an amazing job, it inspires me to get some chisels and get carving.

Keep us all posted of future tikis you carve.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sonofabeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 08:54 am   Permalink

Just kidding about using a chainsaw.Not abaout the leg.I carve everything by hand now.The wife gave it away to one of the least desirable neighbors.But not before waving a bad luck god across it several times.Now that I am thinking about it.She is the one that handed it to me and said go carve something now with a big smile on her face.

View Profile of sonofabeach Send a personal message to sonofabeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 09:54 am   Permalink

NICE, very nice. Please be sure to keep posting your work.

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bamboo Bob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 09:54 am   Permalink

NICE, very nice. Please be sure to keep posting your work.

View Profile of Bamboo Bob Send a personal message to Bamboo Bob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 11:29 am   Permalink

Ok Bob, give it up...where'd you get the wood? Did you find it local?

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-24 1:15 pm   Permalink

Hey Bob, nice tiki! If I inspired that, I'm completely stoked. But really, give the credit to Leroy, who has inspired so many of us. I've only carved 5 tikis in my life, and I still haven't finished the 5th!

You MUST show that piece on my "Leroy" post. No Excuses! It will join all of the outrageous Leroy-inspired art that the other TC artists have posted there.

I have to say that really came out nice. I love the multi-colored effect you got by leaving on the bark on at all the right places. And I agree with Chikitiki, you really don't need power tools for palm (at least the smaller pieces). It's so soft and stringy, the chisels work just fine, and with lots more control, too. Burrs just tend to bind up with all of the fiber.

That palm you found was the perfect shape to match the Leroy. I had to do lots of shaping with a grinder/Lancelot to get that effect on mine.

You've obviously got the knack. What's the next project? Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Aaron

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-01-24 10:48 pm   Permalink

That is an amazing first carving! Looks like you got the knack, my friend. Keep 'em coming!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation