FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki The missing link. Proof that Tiki Central and "Owl Central" are related!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The missing link. Proof that Tiki Central and "Owl Central" are related!
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 12:29 am   Permalink

HERESY! You say! Well my friends I offer incontrvertible proof that Ceramic Tikis and Ceramic Owls had a common ancestor.

I give you the missing link!

So I think all of you owl haters need to extend an olive branch to our distant relatives over at Owl Central...

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZebraTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 12:41 am   Permalink

Say it ain't so!

That's the only tiki owl I have ever seen. The retina-burning orange is a nice touch, too. Congrats on finding the Missing Link. You'll have to name it, like "Turkana Boy", the way paleontologists do.

I'm off to try my new drink recipe for a Suffering Owl.

View Profile of ZebraTiki Send a personal message to ZebraTiki  Email ZebraTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 12:53 am   Permalink

Lets see... How about Tiki Cristata Glaucidium

The Tiki Crested Owl?

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 06:28 am   Permalink

Behold, The Tiki Owl!

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 06:36 am   Permalink

This is from the book "Journeys Through Dreamtime: Oceanian Myth"

Perhaps as punishment for his misdemeanors, Tiki was denied the gift of immortality. But he lived on in artistic form, his name being given to the images that Maoris carved from wood and greenstone to represent their ancestors. In this guise he usually appeared with bird-like features - three-taloned hands, ear tufts, slanting eyes and a beaked face - that brought to mind an owl. The likeness was no coincidence, for the owl was associated with Rua, a hero who had won the secret of carving from the gods. Fittingly the first man was linked to the origins of his portrayal.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 07:16 am   Permalink

My whole world has just been turned on its head, now its official I better get down the charity shops for some owl stuff. When does the first mug come out?
Now all that Rapa Nui Birdman stuff makes sense.

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 07:43 am   Permalink

This is scary. Do I have to do "The Book of Owl" now? What about the connection to Big Eye paintings?

Really amazing how much Treasure Craft ceramic is out there, they really must have cranked that stuff out, sort of the Coco Joe's of Ceramics. Too bad they have almost no Tikis in their line. I wish though that mug manufacturers would have adopted one good habit Treasure Craft had:
Many of their items are DATED underneath.

And I like that they used a lot of ORANGE swirl glazes.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 08:11 am   Permalink

Those eyes are not just retina-burning, they're hypnotic!

"You will obey tiki owl!

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 2:01 pm   Permalink

When I was a little kid, myself and all my siblings (9 kids!) somehow got it into our heads, that our Mom liked owls, and so for every birthday, mother's day etc. she got a bunch of $3 owls. She had a LOT of owls. No tiki owls, but lotsa big eyes...Owls are pretty cool creatures though. She likes owls, but apparently never intended to collect them.
mrs. 'boy, we sure do have a LOT of Pineapples in our house' pineapple

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnnievelour
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 2:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-25 07:43, bigbrotiki wrote:
This is scary. Do I have to do "The Book of Owl" now? What about the connection to Big Eye paintings?

Really amazing how much Treasure Craft ceramic is out there, they really must have cranked that stuff out, sort of the Coco Joe's of Ceramics...

You'll be happy to know Coco Joe's does have an owl, too.

View Profile of johnnievelour Send a personal message to johnnievelour  Email johnnievelour Goto the website of johnnievelour     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 2:40 pm   Permalink

A pair of owls - large ones - has taken up residence in the tree that shadows the tiki that welcomes visitors to the Lagoon Lounge.

When I returned from Daytona, one buzzed me as I strolled through the garden beds.

They've been carrying on for the last several nights during the full moon.

They keep saying "Ku... Ku."

If I hear one say "Pele" my house will be for sale.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 2:44 pm   Permalink

Tiki Hooters!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 2:50 pm   Permalink

On OwlPages.com (which, btw, has forums, including a collector area), has an article on Pueo, the sacred Hawaiian Owl, Pueo. When I was a little girl living in Hawaii, I had a childrens' album with a song about Pueo (I have the LP around somewhere still).

An Encounter with the Pueo of Hawaii

The short-eared brown owl, or Pueo:

Sadly, this one pictured does not have lava for eyes. That would be cool.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-01-25 3:13 pm   Permalink

now that you mention it, last time I spent the night at my parents' house Mr. Smiley (aka "Tiki Guy" to my work colleagues and others) was with me; and my sleep was disturbed all night long by the sound of an owl hooting.

it really freaked me out.

coincidence?

and, I was driving around with Mr. "Tiki Guy" the other day and we mysteriously got behind a car whose only bumper sticker said "Follow me to HOOters!"

(okay, that was a stretch...)

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Stainless Steel Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-25 3:15 pm   Permalink

I don't know... The back of that owl looks very Wahine like...

I think I like it better than the front.

View Profile of Stainless Steel Tiki Send a personal message to Stainless Steel Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation