FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Straw or no straw? Let's debate.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Straw or no straw? Let's debate.
dan the beachcomber

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:11 am   Permalink

So i'm not sure if a mai tai needs to be drank with a straw or sipped? On most trader vic's pics of this drink there are no straws and he doesn't mention it in his recipes. The only time i've actually see someone comment on this is Beachbum Berry's Shark tooth recipe that indicates" serve without straw", Now taking that into account i assume all (or most) exotica's should be served with a straw. This question came to me as i was sipping a maitai and the next thing i new , it was done, already? Maybe i was supposed to sip it,... oops. Then again i own the Trader Vic's Bartender's Guide and there is a Menehune Juice cocktail pictured on the cover(WITH A STRAW), now i'm sure i am not the only weekend mixologist that noticed the Menehune and the Mai Tai are exactly the same in ingedients and in proportion's except for the rum's used, so maybe the Mai Tai along with most of tiki drinks unless noted should be served with a ...straw. Maybe some co-tiki-enthusiasts would like to comment on this matter. All opinions welcome.

View Profile of dan the beachcomber Send a personal message to dan the beachcomber  Email dan the beachcomber     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:43 am   Permalink

My understanding is that the Mai Tai is to be served without a straw, so as to give one the opportunity to enjoy the scent of the mint garnish whilst sipping, a pleasure that is lost when drinking through a straw. Unfortunately, many folks choose to put a float of dark rum on their Mai Tais ("so the booze lasts all the way to the last sip", supposedly...) which makes the use of a straw mandatory and effectively negating the purpose of the mint.

Personally, I drink all iced beverages without a straw, but have found that if I serve them that way, I get a sort of "hey - where's my straw?" kind of look...

As far as other drinks go, I'd say a lot depends on how the drink is prepared, the type of glass used, and the type/amount of garnishes, but the Mai Tai (AND it's bizarro-twin the Menehune Juice) should be strawless (but usually isn't).

Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 3:28 pm   Permalink

"A straw for every Mai Tai!" I say.
Addendum;
This caption was for this stupid photograph.
I usualy don't use a straw unless there is a lot of crushed ice.

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2005-01-27 00:25 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 10:05 pm   Permalink

Tiki Bree once said to me, "Girls like straws."

Argument over.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 10:08 pm   Permalink

It's a simple equation... there's no need to use a straw in drinks served in a manageable glass or short mug. But when you start trying to drink an icy concoction out of a tall or oddly shaped mug and end up with more of it in your lap than in your mouth, use a straw!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CruzinTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:17 pm   Permalink

I think I have a cavity ... my back teeth are sensitive to the cold.

So I say ... yes to the straw.

View Profile of CruzinTiki Send a personal message to CruzinTiki  Email CruzinTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:23 pm   Permalink

Mint (except julep or mojito), no straw

otherwise, do as yee may. But make it a crazy straw, with like, glitter and little bow patterns and stuff. I mean, if you're going to go "girly" (apologies to those transcending aged stereotypical gender roles), then go all the way.

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:49 pm   Permalink

For a Mai Tai I usually use a pair of those slim short cocktail straws. This way you still get to bury your nose in the mint.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dan the beachcomber

Posted: 2005-01-26 11:02 am   Permalink

doesn't the mai tai drink itself too fast with a straw? With the crushed ice you have to sip it.

[ This Message was edited by: dan the beachcomber on 2005-01-26 11:20 ]

View Profile of dan the beachcomber Send a personal message to dan the beachcomber  Email dan the beachcomber     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-26 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-26 11:02, dan the beachcomber wrote:
doesn't the mai tai drink itself too fast with a straw?

The faster you drink it, the sooner you get another!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 3:05 pm   Permalink

I usually like a straw in all mugs and cups except for the shorter old fashioned style.
To me they add to the garnish, and the brighter the better. I like to choose the colour of the straw depending on the colour of the mug.

Anything with a nicely smelling garnish(mint, gardenia, plumeria etc.) shouldn't have a straw, so you can bury your nose in there, but those short straws would be ok in a short glass.

I find it difficult to drink beverages that contain a lot of crushed ice without a straw. I have to sort of use my teeth as sieve, not very ladylike. And besides, I can't drink nearly fast enough that way!

I like to play with my straw, and I tend to drink faster when using a straw(as stated above)

Straws are good! But you won't catch me asking for one if it's not already included. I'll take what I'm given

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 12:07 pm   Permalink

I put a straw in anything I make in the blender (which ain't too often) and any drinks shaken or stired on the rocks or straight up NO straw. I usually cut a lime and run it around the rim of my glass and in the case of margaritas or Mexican beer add salt to the rim as well, so straws definately ruin the experience in that case. I do serve drinks with straws to guests so they have the option of using them or tossing them, and you got the "fancy" straws (like the kine you get @ Party City) it makes for a more "visually stunning presentation" (oh m'god...I think I've been watchin' too much Queer Eye For The Straight Guy again)!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Satan's Sin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 7:01 pm   Permalink

There are several recipes for the Mint Julep, but there are basically two camps (Virginia vs. Kentucky) and one of the primary differences is: straw or no straw.

Virginians generally prefer no-straw Juleps, while Kentuckians insist on them. Now, Kentucky is the home of bourbon and therefore should have the rights of the senior party in this argument, but if one wants to be perfectly technical, Kentucky was part of Virginia, once upon a time. And on that basis, Virginians will tell you haughtily to this day that a Julep is just not worth having, if has been made in the Kentucky manner.

View Profile of Satan's Sin Send a personal message to Satan's Sin  Email Satan's Sin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 7:37 pm   Permalink

I just tried a mai tai without a straw and it just didn't work for me (for the record, I use those little tiny short straws). I was making weird noises trying to suck the drink through the ice that was getting into my teeth. I don't like my teeth to get too cold. I decided to simply sniff the mint then sup from the straw. That did the trick.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
iamsjn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-31 09:29 am   Permalink

DOH!! No straws!
I once drank a scorpion WITHOUT A STRAW! Hehehe. Should have seen the stares I got!

(Wasn't feeling too good afterwards though...)

SjN

View Profile of iamsjn Send a personal message to iamsjn  Email iamsjn Goto the website of iamsjn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation