FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Straw or no straw? Let's debate.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Straw or no straw? Let's debate.
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 11:51 am   Permalink

Pablus wrote:
Quote:
Tiki Bree once said to me, "Girls like straws."

Argument over.

Finally a boy raised up right!!!

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-02 12:10 pm   Permalink

Straws are for frozen drinks, bowl drinks, drinks with overproof rum floats, and drinks that are so elaborately garnished you can't pick up the glass and drink out of it easily.

All other drinks are straw free.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-02 11:06 pm   Permalink

Every Mai-tai that I've ever been served at Trader Vic's, Atlanta, (and there have been a few of those) came with a full sized straw poking out of it. I tend to pull them out but hang on to them as the ice, when crushed properly (as, at TV's, it always is), tends to stick together and clump up in the glass if you don't just gulp the liquid contents. If you use ice crushed in a blender or a refrigerator door gizmo you're not getting ice that's fine enough to do that to begin with so it might not be a problem.
At home I use an electric Rival Ice-O-Matic and, so, serve mine with straws which I have shortened to about 4 inches. This puts your nose right into the mint. If yank it out it's good to hang on to (like I said).

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTikiBoom
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-04 8:31 pm   Permalink

I like straws. They make me feel as though I am sipping my cocktail daintily. Wouldn't want anyone to think I was enjoying it waaaaaaaaaay too much

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

View Profile of TikiTikiBoom Send a personal message to TikiTikiBoom  Email TikiTikiBoom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 01:50 am   Permalink

Apparently straws get you more intoxicated as you have a lower oxygen intake. You can even get glass port sippers with an inbuilt 'straw' to allow you to suck the booze from the bottom.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-05 02:41 am   Permalink

I always use Peppermint as a garnish in my Mai Tais, as the smell is sweeter than 'ordinary' mint. I use a straw (which is fine by me), otherwise the smell of the mint overpowers the drink. With a straw, the mix of smell and taste is perfect.

[ This Message was edited by: Kon-Hemsby 2005-08-05 02:42 ]

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mbanu
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-08-06 08:48 am   Permalink

Ooh, forgot one.

Another time straws are a good idea is when the drink is served in a tall glass packed with small ice. They keep the drink extra cold, sure, but without a straw it becomes more and more likely you'll end up with a faceful of ice as you tilt the glass to get those last drops from the bottom of the glass.

View Profile of mbanu Send a personal message to mbanu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 08:58 am   Permalink

I almost always opt to use a straw for one simple, girly reason: my lipstick. Might sound silly to those who don't wear makeup, but I want my lipstick to last -- using a straw makes a big difference. Plus, lipstick can be a bear to wash off of glasses.

Even if I wasn't concerned about my lipstick, I'd probably opt for a straw for the ice-and-garnish-hitting-the-teeth-and-on-the-face reason. I don't like feeling like my drink is an obstacle course to be conquered.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 09:48 am   Permalink

I recently moved and after many hours of hauling, toting and unpacking I decided to treat myself to a mai tai. BTW, one of the first things unpacked was the five boxes of booze. I made my drink and then realized that my cocktail straws were still packed away somewhere! That was rough going, trying to suck the nectar through all that ice. I had ice packing on my eye teeth and getting in my mustache. My teeth got cold and I just couldn't get the desired flow of booze into my gullet. The next day I quickly found my straws and now all is well.

My general rule of thumb is: cubed ice = no straw; crushed or shaved ice = small cocktail straw; blended drink (Blue Hawaiian) = standard straw.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-06 5:30 pm   Permalink

Next question (or maybe this should be a new thread) concerning straw selection etiquette: when is it appropriate to serve a drink with a little skinny "squeaker straw", a regular size "flexistraw" or a mondo, big-ass "alaska pipeline" straw?

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-08 1:41 pm   Permalink

I prefer a rolled up 50 dollar bill. Wait, is this the eighties? I must have had a flashback. Never mind.

[ This Message was edited by: Urban Tiki 2005-08-08 13:41 ]

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 4:09 pm   Permalink

bump on an interesting thread

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Fink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-20 8:52 pm   Permalink

The straw just pokes me in the eye unless I am wearing sunglasses. I say screw the straw and bring on them cool swizzle sticks.

T.F.

View Profile of Tiki Fink Send a personal message to Tiki Fink  Email Tiki Fink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 05:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-31 09:29, iamsjn wrote:
I once drank a scorpion WITHOUT A STRAW! Hehehe. Should have seen the stares I got!

(Wasn't feeling too good afterwards though...)

You were not feeling good, and people were staring for the same reason. When you drink out of a volcano bowl with no straw, you light your hair on fire.

Just say no to self immolation.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 07:57 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-26 14:19, Hakalugi wrote:
The faster you drink it, the sooner you get another!

AMEN!

I think the straw should be considered a garnish. And, as a garnish it should be given all of the same attention to detail as the drink it is going to reside in. And, there is no reason why the straw can serve as the support structure for a really wild garnish! Take a large grape or cherry tomato and push the straw through it. Then poke the mint leaves into the fruit. Cut the straw so it is just a bit taller than the glass. Ta-da! Straw as garnish! Everyone is happy. And we all drink to be happy don't we?

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation