FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Straw or no straw? Let's debate.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Straw or no straw? Let's debate.
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 10:12 am   Permalink

Leave it to Chip to raise the Mixology bar for all of us. I completely agree with taking it up a notch.

Personally, I prefer my mai-tai without a straw. But I always serve them with one (Regular diameter, appropriately trimmed to the correct height, about an inch and a half fromt he top of the glass). Why? Because enjoyment of the drink is all about preference, and if my guests don't want to use it, then it's their choice, but the choice is there. If I went to TVs and mine came with straw, I would admire the color and aroma, then promptly remove the straw and sip.

Is this correct? Well yes and no. It's like Scotch. Some of the best, most impressive offerings would be completely lost on me because I don't have the pallate for it. But I do know what I enjoy. So if the palate of the person we serve to likes or doesn't like a straw, then the drink will inherently taste better to them when they drink it their way. And pleasing our guests is what the whole point of it is anyway, right?

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 07:57, Chip and Andy wrote:
And, there is no reason why the straw can serve as the support structure for a really wild garnish! Take a large grape or cherry tomato and push the straw through it. Then poke the mint leaves into the fruit. Cut the straw so it is just a bit taller than the glass. Ta-da! Straw as garnish!

You mean like this?

Of course those are cherries, not tomatoes. I tried tomatoes, but they just don't jive with the mai tai. And the fried green tomatoes in the volcano bowl were a total disaster.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 8:11 pm   Permalink

I never use straws with anything.

Even in restaurants, I take all the straws out of the glasses given to me.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2006-04-21 9:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 20:11, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:

Even with bowl drinks?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 05:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-04-21 21:02, Hakalugi wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-04-21 20:11, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:

Even with bowl drinks?

I have to see you with a bowl drink. If you are coming to Hukilau, I so have to get you a Mystery Bowl and watch you take it down sans-straw!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-22 10:54 am   Permalink

I'm only 21. I've never had a bowl drink.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-23 9:04 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Chip and Andy 2009-06-05 17:56 ]

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MinnesotaChef
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-02 8:07 pm   Permalink

A few little tricks that might help:

Rub the edge of the glass with the mint leaves that are too large for garnishes on the rim of the glass just before service. Fold it up a little to bruise the cell structure and release the oils. This will increase the aromatic effect of adding it directly to the drink without dilution and the benefits of bruising without the unsightly effects thereof. This could also be done with a straw I suppose for the same effect.

Any leftover mint can be dried crushed fine and mixed with sugar for rimming glasses, or mixed with water in a blender to a very loose infusion and frozen in ice cube trays for any number of uses. The mint won't oxidize and stays tasting fresh as the day you picked/ bought it.

View Profile of MinnesotaChef Send a personal message to MinnesotaChef  Email MinnesotaChef     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-03 02:43 am   Permalink

I generally serve all my drinks with straws. The recipients may do what they will with them . . . use them or not . . . their choice.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-03 10:00 pm   Permalink

I like to use short straws in my Mai Tais as i have sensitive teeths.With short straws i can enjoy the mint still.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-02 11:42 pm   Permalink

bump up an old thread again..

okay so I made a mai tai with a straw and for fun I made another without a straw..
The straws have it!! as long as you give your mai tai a stir every minute or so.. It, to me tastes much better With... without the straw, the crushed ice dilutes the flavor of the drink once in your mouth and well....
You must use a short 5" straw though to get the mint up your nose..okay.. time for another!

Aloha

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-03 02:42 am   Permalink

I drink whatever is given to me. Straw or no straw i'll still find my mouth.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-05 6:48 pm   Permalink

Straw for sure, lipstick stays on longer!!!!.....

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation