[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Mug Repair
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki Mug Repair
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 1:33 pm   Permalink

Hi everyone. I'm new to this group and I hope someone can help me out. I searched the site to find an answer to my question, but I couldn't, so here goes.
I recently bought a Trader Dick's Tiki mug at a local antique store, thinking it was so inexpensive because it was chipped. Well, the chip turns into a crack, which I didn't notice until i got it home, so this mug cannot hold any liquid in it. I don't know if crazy glue will work, b/c whatever you're gluing together needs to be in pieces so you can get one piece wet and put glue on the other. I cannot fit the crazy glue applicator between crack. However, I think I might have gotten crazy glue to work, but any suggestions in case it doesn't?
Now, problem #2: the paint has almost completely rubbed off of this mug. Again, this something I somehow missed at the antique store, don't ask me how! I have seen pictures of other Trader Dick's mugs on the internet, and this seems to be a common problem with these mugs. It looks like it just needs the standard reddish-brownish-orange "Tiki Mug Paint" and, I assume, some ceramic glaze or something.
To make matters worse, it was only AFTER I bought the mug that I found out that Trader Dick's is not only still open in Reno, but they STILL sell mugs! Of course, I am not sure if they still sell this exact mug. Anyway, is this a lost cause? Should I just give up put the mug on my shelf and never drink out of it? Or has anyone attempted anything like this? Any help any of you nice folks could offer would be greatly appreciated.
Trader Rick
former host of "Rock-Don't Run!" & "The Cocktail Hour"
KCSB 91.9 FM Santa Barbara

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 1:59 pm   Permalink

I would put it on the shelf and not drink out of it. I have a few mugs that have hairlines, yet display nicely, so don't fret. I've tried to use crazy glue to fix one of them, with limited success. I think this is a great way to start your tiki mug collection!

~ tikigreg

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 2:03 pm   Permalink

I'm assuming the mug you've got is a Moai type (Easter Island head). If it's a uniform brown/orange glaze, then it's an older one. It should have writing on the bottom. Newer ones have the addition of light brown stripes, and the writing on the back. I assume you can still get the newer ones for the price of a drink.
(Correct me if I'm wrong, folks!)

I'd personally avoid trying to repair it, though that's partially as I'm cack-handed and the result would be worse than it's pre-repair state. If you want a mug to drink from, maybe go for something new like a Tiki Farm or Munktiki mug where the glaze is safe, there are no cracks, and you know it's not previously been used as a plant-pot/pen-holder etc....

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 2:15 pm   Permalink

Yeah, put that one on the shelf or on your desk as a pen holder.
Use the next one you find to drink out of.

Those mugs are cool, but pretty common.
You can usually find them on the cheap.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 2:25 pm   Permalink

I prefer to look at mine and drink out of the plastic tumblers! I would hate to drop a vintage mug because I got stupid drunk.

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 2:49 pm   Permalink

Wow! Thanks for all of the advice, guys! I guess this one will be sitting on my shelf. Incidentally, it os not the Moai mug, it looks more Maori or Tahitian influenced. If you saw it, I'm sure you would say "Oh yeah, that one." I'm sure I will find another one someday, but I was just excited b/c it is the only VINTAGE mug in my collection. Thanks again!
TR

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 3:05 pm   Permalink

I have repaired some leaking items with the stuff they seal aquariums with. You can get it at Walmart. It is obviously safe or the fish would die. It is clear and you use such a very thin layer of it, it is almost invisible.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 3:10 pm   Permalink

As Swanky noted, it could be possible to repair the mug so it holds liquid. But using the mug will no doubt only make the crack worse, causing the eventual demise of the piece. Shelving it would still be your safest bet, I think.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabina
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-10-08 3:34 pm   Permalink

Or, you could 'use' it, but not for liquids- chiped or cracked mugs are always great for storing swizzle sticks and other bar essentials. Tall mugs can be used to hold wooden Satay skewers and the like for pupu platters.

Smaller mugs (like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=720691277) are better suited for keeping drink umbrellas or picks in. That way, it's still 'in use' and right there on the side of the bar.

View Profile of Sabina Send a personal message to Sabina  Goto the website of Sabina     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 3:54 pm   Permalink

Before I shelf a cracked mug, I run a bead of white elmers glue down the inside of the crack.... offers a little stability for any handling, and can be soaked off if needed in the future.

And be really careful moving a cracked mug that you may have anchored with quake paste! I've shattered a mug in my hands trying to free it from a shelf. User Polynesianpop recommended sliding dental floss under 'em to free 'em up.

visit Traderpup.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 4:13 pm   Permalink

Traderpup, that's some good advice. I've actually even hairline-cracked a quake pasted mug when trying to remove it from the shelf. Use the dental floss or fishing line to "cut" the mug away from the quake paste by pulling it across the bottom of the mug from one side to the other. Once the mug is free the quake paste should peel right off the bottom of the mug.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbadtikidaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 5:00 pm   Permalink

Even tho I live in earthquake country & I know I should, I havent used that putty stuff.
Is it messy?
I get bored looking at the same setup after a while. I like to move my mugs around & rearrange stuff every once in a while & that seems like it would be a hassle to clean up each time.

View Profile of bigbadtikidaddy Send a personal message to bigbadtikidaddy  Email bigbadtikidaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 11:23 pm   Permalink

Earthquake putty has a texture almost like Play Dough and is very easy to work with but it is not messy. You can get a package enough for about 35 mugs at Home Depot for about $4.00 - cheap insurance for that $200.00 Suffering Bastard (they hold your mugs very well). If you like to move your mugs around however, it will be a pain in the ass if you've got putty on all your mugs.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-10 8:58 pm   Permalink

Yes Trader Dick's is still open and it's hella tiki cool! I thinks its way cool that out in the middle of the desert that tiki is so prevalent, we also have a store here called Kona Girl the owner makes monthly trips to Hawaii and brings back all kinds of cool stuff. Again not bad for the middle of the desert. Anyway when ever your in this neck of the woods send an email and well hook up for some serious 24 hour drinken and check out many Reno tiki's.

View Profile of TikiJones Send a personal message to TikiJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 03:25 am   Permalink

I'd like some feedback on the feasibility/desireabilty of replacing a bit of missing paint on a vintage St. Louis Mainlanders mug (a common issue with these). Could I use a bit of high gloss enamel to replace the missing paint or should I just leave it as is?

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation