FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pernod - Ruiner of all!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Pernod - Ruiner of all!
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:25 pm   Permalink

Not really the ruiner, in fact, I quite like it when accenting a drink, but I swear there's about 2 molecules difference between accent and utter flavor dominance.

How do you control your Pernod?

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-25 11:43 pm   Permalink

pernod is definately a little dab will do ya kinda thing. i try to be as careful as possible when mixing with it.

a little too much and your dr funk is just plain funky and not in a good way either!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 12:02 am   Permalink

Traderpup uses an eye dropper when mixing with absinthe (which is Pernod's "cultured upbringing but fell in with the wrong crowd in its early 20s and wound up living under an overpass mumbling incoherently about serpents" cousin).

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 03:25 am   Permalink

Pernod (or Ricard, Pastis, Casanis...) is my favorite aperitif. With just water and ice, on a sunny day in the south of France, it's terrific.
My first hangover was on Pernod actually.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 03:52 am   Permalink

I found that Pastis is better than Pernod in cocktails, I think the flavour is more subtle. But agree that a tiny drop is more than enough.

Virani, that is sooo French, 1st hangover on Pernod. I have to agree Pastis with iced water is perfect on a hot day.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 03:58 am   Permalink

Quote:
With just water and ice, on a sunny day in the south of France, it's terrific.

I couldn't agree more

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 10:55 am   Permalink

Actually, my favorite brand is Ricard.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 11:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-26 10:55, virani wrote:
Actually, my favorite brand is Ricard.

Yeah, I actually like Pernod the least of all the ones I've tried. (I've lugged many a bottle of pastis back on the ferry from Calais to Dover as it's so cheap!)

A few years back, I made up some Trader Vic's style sugar syrup and decanted it into a nice ouzo bottle (the cousin of pastis) that I'd repeated washed. Even though it seemed clean, the anis taste oozed into the sugar syrup, giving a little Pernod style kick to all the drinks made with that syrup!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-26 8:31 pm   Permalink

I've had nothing but trouble with the Pernod when developing "The Combover". Dr Z. is traumatized forver after a Pernod accident in the initial testing stages. In fact, I think if I made him one today without any Pernod, he'd still taste it in the drink.
The eye dropper method is what works. Otherwise, it takes over the whole drink.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-01-26 11:41 pm   Permalink

I use the bottle cap from the pernod. Even then only a dash.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-27 12:20 am   Permalink

I just wave it over the bottle without even taking the lid off, and somehow (Tiki God knows) it still makes it into the drink.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
I, Zombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-27 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quince_at_Danny's and I were just talking about this. We've decided that then doubling or tripling a recipe that calls for Pernod, the best thing to do is to keep the amount of Pernod the same.

Hey, can this stuff go bad? I must have the same bottle I've had for 10 years!

View Profile of I, Zombie Send a personal message to I, Zombie  Email I, Zombie Goto the website of I, Zombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 11:33 am   Permalink

I got mr. pineapple-bot a set of measuring spoons for Christmas, a dash, a smidgen and something else... they are teeny tiny, like and 8th, a 16th and 32nd of a teaspoon. He uses it to make the test pilot, it calls for an 8th or 16th of a teaspoon of pernod. The test pilot's always had a bit too much before those measuring spoons!

oh yeah - On the Live at Max's Kansas City Velvet Underground album, someone from the stage (I think it's Lou Reed) asks the bartender for a Pernod, I always thought that was really cool, so I drank it on ice for a while, to seem cool and rockstar like.

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 11:15 am   Permalink

The secret to always getting the right amount of Pernod is to double or quadruple or whatever-le the recipe until you have a reasonably measurable amount to mix. If the recipe calls for 1/8 teaspoon, make four of them. Half a teaspoon is far easier to measure. And always measure the Pernod somewhere besides over the cocktail shaker! And make it one of the early things you add before the booze so you don't waste good booze on a bad Pernod pour...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-27 3:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-27 19:37, I, Zombie wrote:
Hey, can this stuff go bad? I must have the same bottle I've had for 10 years!

The oldest bottle I have in my collection is a bottle of Edouard Pernod Absinthe, it is over 100 years old now. It should taste like nectar of the gods, unfortunately for me, my bottle was first opened in the 1920s and is so air oxidized it tastes like wet cardboard flavored liquor. I have other bottles of Pastis and Absinthe which have been opened about 10 years. Yes I have noticed a color change in some of them, but the flavor is still intact so far.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation