FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Witco?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Witco?
Kentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-08 2:42 pm   Permalink

Think this is a Witco piece? The grain looks burned like a Witco, but were they painted originally?

Kentiki

View Profile of Kentiki Send a personal message to Kentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-08 9:37 pm   Permalink

I've been to the Hawaiian Inn in Daytona, and they actually have a ton of painted Witco pieces, and I've seen others Witco's that are painted too. I don't know enough to tell you for sure, but the paint does not mean its not.

Cool Piece either way though!

View Profile of Tiki-Troll Send a personal message to Tiki-Troll  Email Tiki-Troll     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 09:48 am   Permalink

One of my bars came with a leopard shield with a painted mask on it. I thought the previous owners painted it but it is the same colors as your piece. I'd say, yes, and I guess I won't strip the paint off mine. I like them without the paint, though.

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 12:22 pm   Permalink

Nice Mask! The carving looks Witco, but the Witco wahine piece I have is painted in softer colors. Also, I think a lot of the stuff at the Hawaiian Inn has been re-painted in brighter shades and varnished, or re-done with black light paints. BigBro probably knows for sure whether this is Witco, and if the colors are original, because he has their catalogs.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-10-09 12:22 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 4:25 pm   Permalink

Kentiki- there are tons of different Witco mask designs, how the @#$ am I gonna tell this apart when it is A.) leaning against another Tiki, and B.) partially obscured by shade...
Well, it does seem to be a Witco, and I don't think those were the original colors.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-10-09 6:15 pm   Permalink

It is a Witco piece. I found a picture of it in a Witco catelog. It is called a Ceremonial Mask painted in varied hues of color. If you want a picture of it in the catelog email me k.pleasantjr@verizon.net

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kentiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-10-10 08:43 am   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm happy to give the mask a good home whatever brand it is or isn't, but provenience is always interesting.

Hey Bigbro--yeah it isn't a great pic, but I didn't wanna bog down people's browsers with a million $#%@^%$ shots. - And besides, I never even asked you, ya snotty Kraut!

[ This Message was edited by: kentiki on 2002-10-12 20:02 ]

View Profile of Kentiki Send a personal message to Kentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 5:26 pm   Permalink

OK, so Witco did paint some pieces. But would they have used metallic silver or was this done, as I would presume, post-purchase?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-25 17:26, tikijackalope wrote:
OK, so Witco did paint some pieces. But would they have used metallic silver or was this done, as I would presume, post-purchase?

travesty. Kinda sad. Reminds of the painted game table. I remember seeing it on Ebay when it was still in it's natural color, but didn't bid because I assumed it was going to go skyhigh. I could've saved it.

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2004-06-25 17:47 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2004-06-25 17:49 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 5:48 pm   Permalink

Yes, but who committed the travesty?

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 5:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-06-25 17:48, tikijackalope wrote:
Yes, but who committed the travesty?

Somebody who thought it was an alien?

[ This Message was edited by: Turbogod on 2004-06-25 17:51 ]

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-25 11:39 pm   Permalink

turbogod wrote:
Quote:
Reminds of the painted game table. I remember seeing it on Ebay when it was still in it's natural color, but didn't bid because I assumed it was going to go skyhigh. I could've saved it.

It makes you wonder if such pieces could still be saved. Can paint be removed from a Witco without messing up the burned outer layer of wood?

woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-26 09:51 am   Permalink

Paint burns off stuff. A few quick passes of the blow torch and some subsequent steel brushing: Paint's gone. But it varies on chemistry and age. Sometimes you luck out and the paint becomes all crumbly and whisks right off with a steel brush. Other times it gums up and has to burned more. In a heavily burned piece, like a Witco, paint may be in crevices or into the grain. A paint remover/ refinish with fire combo may be a better choice for a prized piece. If yer lucky the bozo who painted it in the fist place painted right on top of an original glaze which usually makes paint removal easier, whether it be with a chemical or torch. Like spot remover: Test on an unseen area first. But unlike your tiel and hot pink UltraSuede mini skirt you don't wanna lose a Tiki piece to your cruddy spot removal skills so either practice on some other stuff or find someone who can do it professionally. But remember: In 2017 when original Witcos are going for thousands of dollars your piece won't be worth so much. Plan to fund the kids' education with something else.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-26 11:01 am   Permalink

Thanks for the input, woofmutt. I'm so enamored of the one Witco I have (a cat) that I want more, but I keep running across prohibitivly expensive stuff (like furniture for $7000) or damaged goods that *might* be saved and display that grain I love so well.

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-26 5:14 pm   Permalink

Keigs how about these? Seen a lot of Witco but nothing like these.

Look to be Witco and their painted in the soft colous as Kailuageoff mentioned.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation