FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Bilge Would You Balut?
Would You Balut?
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-28 9:34 pm   Permalink

When Escargot becomes boring and Fugu has lost its thrill, it's time to step up to the plate and try something really adventurous. Okay maybe not as challenging as monkey brains, but still.

Please welcome the infamous Balut. The Balut is a fine delicacy from the Philippines. Just take one fertilized duck egg and bury it in the ground to keep it warm. Once it's partially developed, boil it and crack that baby open. You'll know it was incubated properly if the bones are just barely crunchy. - Enjoy!!

"One Balut a day, that's all we ask"
-The Filipino Balut Council

Take a look!

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 12:42 am   Permalink

I thought you were talking about using inflated bags as a heat sheild to skip across another planets atmosphere therby using the friction to slow you spacecraft down enough to allow orbital insertion.

Heck, I'd do that in a second...

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-29 01:00 am   Permalink

Oh yeah, yeah. You're thinking of Baluot (aka Aerobreaking)!

Yes, I'd do that too! I'm sure that Aerobreaking is much more fun than eating a Balut.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-01-29 01:06 am   Permalink

Oh, just for the record, for when you want to order one at your local Filipino market; Balut is pronounced like Buh-Loot.

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 02:19 am   Permalink

I heard stories from sailors about eatin' balut while on shore leave in Subic and Olongopo, PI and kinda cringed as they described it. The usual reason for this gastronomical adventure was "I was soooo drunk, I was up for anything". Then we all went down to this oriental market to pick up lunch at work one day and this guy that just joined us from Electric Boat in CT decided to show us how to eat balut. That wuz one gnarly site...believe me.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 02:38 am   Permalink

I'm Filipino and when I use to live there as a kid I would only eat it with the lights out and a glass of water as a chaser. I'm too americanized now and can't eat it.

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
badmojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 07:43 am   Permalink

View Profile of badmojo Send a personal message to badmojo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 08:20 am   Permalink

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 7:12 pm   Permalink

Ma init titi ko!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 9:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-29 08:20, MachTiki wrote:

Dude. That's soooooo Punk!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 08:26 am   Permalink

Have you tried the chocolate sauce?

I did!

The black blood was not so bad, but the little pieces of pig's ears were a little hard to look at!

I happen to like Sinigan...anyone else?

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 09:46 am   Permalink

How about charnina? Hot soup made from chocolate and duck's blood. I believe it's Polish, but a lot of people eat it in south-east milwaukee in the older communities.

[ This Message was edited by: finkdaddy on 2005-01-31 09:47 ]

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 09:49 am   Permalink

Once, I did a bad bad thing.

A buddy of mine had started dating a lady whose family was from the Phillipines, and her father was very unhappy with the prospect of her dating a non-Phillipino. He refused to even speak to my buddy until about a year into the relationship, when he summoned my friend to attend dinner with the family.

My friend was nervous, so I told him if he really wanted to impress the girl's father, he'd ask for some Balut to show he wanted to fit it.

Well, my buddy forgot to ask what it was made of, and being the kind of guy he is, really wanted to impress dad and asked for several all at once.

About midnight that night, I got an angry call with tales of eating eggs with "little chickens" inside and "everyone watching" and how taking revenge on me would be sweet, etc. It was great.

Ah, sweet memories of Balut.

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation