[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Ultimate Tiki Tunes
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Ultimate Tiki Tunes
senioraqua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 06:25 am   Permalink

This is too cool not to be posted. Available 2005?

http://www.worldsound.com/tiki/Ultimate_OneSheet2.800.jpg

View Profile of senioraqua Send a personal message to senioraqua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 08:59 am   Permalink

What's on 'em?

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 12:18 pm   Permalink

I wonder the same thing. If they're anything like "Drew's Famous" collections, it will be a bunch of stuff not really tiki.."Under The Boardwalk", "Margaritaville", etc. (Although I must give credit to Drew's Luau collection which has some funny rather Spongebob Squarepants-like fake steel guitar tunes on it) well, since it's from tiki farms, hopefully, it will be better.
Oddly, I just finished up converting my favorite vinyl exotica tracks (minus the overly re-released Martin Denny & Baxter) in steel, vocals, and orchestras onto 12 CDs...how is it possible that I couldn't fit them on less than 12 CDs?? Oh well.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 10:04 pm   Permalink

Okay... the cat's outta the bag. Here's what's up and why I'm so stoked that TC is here and part of this...

This is a 6-disc set. It is the following...

Tiki Farm's Ultimate Tiki Tunes
Tiki Farm's Ultimate Vintage Exotica
Tiki Farm's Ultimate Modern Exotica
Blah's Ultimate Surf Tunes
Blah Blah's Ultimate Hawaiian Classics
Wilma and Fred's Ultimate Luau Tunes

We've got a lot into this and I think all tc'ers will be happy. Right now, we're up to about 100 artists and over 300 tracks in working out the final stuff.

"Tiki Tunes" is the set sampler. Now here's where we are with it. Ultimately "Tiki" tunes stem from vintage exotica but cross over into modern day acts like Ape (my personal fav) and Lushie, King, Gents, etc.. There is room for "Tiki" in the forms of vintage, modern, surf... all of the genres described. The parties I've thrown & attended have all genres, either spun or live. Let's face it, 3-4 hours of Martin Denny, Les Baxger & Arthur Lyman... I love it but somebody shoot me!! I can only handle so many chirping birds and lapping waves after so much time but it's still my fav.

So to my request. Please post to this thread what you want to hear in all of the above genres. Get crazy - send the weird stuff. We've got so many artists out there both big and small that can make this series the best. If it isn't dead-on good, then I ain't gonna let it happen. Here are some of whom I like the best in all of the genres (and there are tons more)...

Ape
Blue Hawaiians
Bruddah IZ
King
Gents
Ken Sasaki & the Tiki Boys
Mermen
Lyman
Sumac
Ka'Kau Crater Boys
Ernie Cruz
Boss Martians
Amy Gilliom
Tommy Tokioka
Makana
Dynotones
... and a lot more.

I'm really hoping that TC'ers can put in some good feedback and I want to give TC a major shout-out in the liner notes of the "Ultimate Tiki Tunes" sampler - the one that debuts the series. I need your help TC.

Mahaloz,
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 10:14 pm   Permalink

TINY BUBBLES FOR FUCKING SURE!!!!!!!!!!

Who eles does this song besides Don Ho???

Would like to hear Pink Floyd and Devo cover it. MC5?

any Mash Ups out there?

I'm lost.

Tiki Farm Rocks!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
liabungalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-29 10:37 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Tones are my current favorite Tiki band.

-g-

View Profile of liabungalo Send a personal message to liabungalo  Email liabungalo Goto the website of liabungalo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 12:13 am   Permalink

p.s.
May 13, 1967. Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, CA. Below, a thin paper handbill for this show featuring Count 5, Iron Butterfly, and Bystanders.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 01:30 am   Permalink

Awesome line up Holden. This collection of tiki tunes could very well be the soundtrack for Tiki Oasis V.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 01:35 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-01-30 00:13, RevBambooBen wrote:
p.s.
May 13, 1967. Santa Rosa Fairgrounds, CA. Below, a thin paper handbill for this show featuring Count 5, Iron Butterfly, and Bystanders.

B Boo Ben, I'm familiar wid Count Five (Psychotic Reaction) & Iron Butterfly (In A Gadda Da Vida) but who are the Bystanders?

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 09:43 am   Permalink

Where's Petty Booka?

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kauno
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-01-30 12:01 pm   Permalink

Sweet!

The Tiki Tones Rock!

How about Combustible Edison?

Any chance you might consider doing a Tiki Holiday CD too?

Thanks Holden and Tiki Farm.

View Profile of kauno Send a personal message to kauno  Goto the website of kauno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BaronV
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-01-30 5:30 pm   Permalink

Looking forward to the CDs and the mugs - any word when the discs will be coming out?

View Profile of BaronV Send a personal message to BaronV  Email BaronV     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 6:10 pm   Permalink

I'm still not clear. Are the songs for the first six discs already chosen?

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 6:37 pm   Permalink

Cool.
Mermen? I didnt know Ethel did any tiki music, I only heard her do "God Bless America".
Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Rider on 2005-01-30 18:38 ]

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-30 7:00 pm   Permalink

By the way - recognize the cover art artist? It's Doug Horne - check him out at www.swampfirelounge.com . The songs haven't been chosen yet. We're working through a bunch of material and I'm hoping for more input from TC. Here are some other artists in the hopper...

Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Packs
Project Pimento
The Aliis
Fisherman
Preston Epps

...there's more but those are all I can think of right now. If you guys want to buy an awesome Hawaiian musician's cd, go to www.royal-t-records.com and purchase Tommy Tokioka's "Happy to be Living" - it's well worth every cent spent and here's a fun kicker. When he recorded the tracks, he needed a distinct soprano male voice for the background on a few songs and a friend of his put him in contact with a guy who was vacationing on Kauai and he agreed to do the background tracks... it was Steve Perry!!

Mahaloz,
Holden

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation