Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Toucano Rum
Toucano Rum
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 10:14 am   Permalink

While in the La Jolla BevMo I noticed a rum with an interesting bottle, Toucano:

I've found several listings for it on the web but haven't seen a TC review, is it worth the $25?

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-01-31 11:07 am   Permalink

It's a better-than-average cachaca, not a rum. Don't believe the label. By better than average cachaca, I mean that it doesn't taste wholly of gasoline.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 2:43 pm   Permalink

Thank you Elite BevMo Agent Martiki! So it's not worth the $25, I was more captured by the wicker wrapped bottle & toucan image on the label anyway. I'll keep an eye out for an empty bottle at yard sales.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 3:07 pm   Permalink

I do believe I've tried this, and yes, cachaca has the delightful flavor of old furniture dust.

Used to make Caipirinha:
http://www.cookbrazil.com/caipirinha.htm
which is, to me, just a mojito with cachaca instead of Puerto Rican Rum. Lime, mint and sugar, can't go wrong!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-01-31 3:11 pm   Permalink

Freddie...
OnaTiki & I have gone through several bottles of this and use it to make Caipirinhas. Strong, different (not bad) and the buzz is a good one.

Plus the bottle is fun to have around as it adds to the decor.

Have fun!

View Profile of Moki Send a personal message to Moki  Email Moki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation