FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events Other Events looking for vacation spot-Tiki Events
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
looking for vacation spot-Tiki Events
Dawn32
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 06:02 am   Permalink

Help! I'm looking to take a vacation, unfortunately I won't be able to until the summer. I'm looking to tie it into a tiki event if possible. I'm on a budget so nothing to extravagent. It would be cool to also go to something with Shag as I've never been to one of his shows. Any advise or suggestions?

View Profile of Dawn32 Send a personal message to Dawn32  Email Dawn32     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-02 12:17 pm   Permalink

There are a few events mentioned (some need dates finalized) in the Tiki Events calendar
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12675&forum=4&vpost=134631

That would be a good place to start. My recommendations; NW TIki Crawl, Tiki TOrch Nights in Atlanta (great event and VIc's is fantastic there-date not yet set), Int'l Tiki day (Southern calif-no city yet, or Northern Calif--maybe in Modesto). Exotica would be great, too--but it is approaching without a date and that is not a good sign for a big event like that.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dawn32
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 7:30 pm   Permalink

I was thinking of going to California. I'm looking for some type of vacation either there or Florida this summer. Just thought if there was gonna be something going on that would be great. I haven't been on this site in quite awhile and glad to be back. I've already found some ideas on your calendar. I'm gonna see if I can find someplace where there's gonna be Shag gallery event this summer, hopefully.

View Profile of Dawn32 Send a personal message to Dawn32  Email Dawn32     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 10:02 pm   Permalink

Florida is very humid in the summer, although the water is very, very warm.

The Mai Kai is in Ft. Lauderdale, approx 45 minutes from Miami Beach South Beach, which is where the action is; however, all the tiki is gone, even if there is total tropic feeling.

Tiki abounds in San Diego: Humphrey's Half Moon, Bali Hai and Trader Morts on Shelter Island, Mr. Tiki's and SpaTiki in the Gaslamp and Red Lion HanaLei in Hotel Circle.

The weather is gorgeous and you can drink on the beach (although not on the boardwalk).

However, LA or SF is the place for tikicentral events.

Have you considered moving up the time of your vacation for the SF Crawl, Tiki Oasis or International Tiki Day?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 10:07 pm   Permalink

Shag.com lists his shows.

Here is a link re SoCal tiki:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12819&forum=1&start=0

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-03 11:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-02 22:02, christiki295 wrote:

The Mai Kai is in Ft. Lauderdale, approx 45 minutes from Miami Beach South Beach, which is where the action is; however, all the tiki is gone, even if there is total tropic feeling.

I want to clarify what Christiki is talking about. All the tiki is gone in MIAMI South BEatch, not the Mai-KAi. Christiki knows there are oodles of tikis at the Mai-Kai.
When I visit FLorida, I like to stay in Ft Lauderdale to be close to the Mai Kai-I can always take an east drive to Miami to check it out.--Smiley

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dawn32
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 6:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-02 22:02, christiki295 wrote:

Tiki abounds in San Diego: Humphrey's Half Moon, Bali Hai and Trader Morts on Shelter Island, Mr. Tiki's and SpaTiki in the Gaslamp and Red Lion HanaLei in Hotel Circle.

The weather is gorgeous and you can drink on the beach (although not on the boardwalk).

However, LA or SF is the place for tikicentral events.

Have you considered moving up the time of your vacation for the SF Crawl, Tiki Oasis or International Tiki Day?

I would love to move the date up, unfortunately I won't have vacation time before the summer. Hopefully something cool will be coming up in Chicago for International Tiki day.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 8:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2005-02-03 18:32, Dawn32 wrote:

Hopefully something cool will be coming up in Chicago for International Tiki day.

Chicago (also hot & humid in the summer) is Exotica, whereas International Tiki day is in Orange County (OC), CA - I believe previously held at Baxdog's. That would be a much better selection.

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 08:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-03 20:16, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

[i]On 2005-02-03 18:32, Dawn32 wrote:

Hopefully something cool will be coming up in Chicago for International Tiki day.

Chicago (also hot & humid in the summer) is Exotica, whereas International Tiki day is in Orange County (OC), CA - I believe previously held at Baxdog's. That would be a much better selection.

Hey, it's International Tiki Day! If some of the Chicago ohana want to throw something they can. Of course you can't have bonfires on North Beach, but they could throw a bar-b-que, or meet at Hala Kahiki or Trader Vic's.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BambooLodge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 10:54 am   Permalink

[
Quote:

On 2005-02-03 18:32, Dawn32 wrote:

[/quote]
Hey, it's International Tiki Day! If some of the Chicago ohana want to throw something they can. Of course you can't have bonfires on North Beach, but they could throw a bar-b-que, or meet at Hala Kahiki or Trader Vic's.
[/quote]

Hey Dawn,
We will probably do something at Chef Shangri-La,like we did in 2004. We will let you know when there is more info available.
TTFN,
Dave & Coalbe

[ This Message was edited by: BambooLodge on 2005-02-04 10:57 ]

View Profile of BambooLodge Send a personal message to BambooLodge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dawn32
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-05 08:24 am   Permalink

Great Dave. I already made reservations for Chinese New Year at the Chef, so I'll be there at 3pm. I got an email about Cruz Island and Beach 2. I guess it's a weekend event in Redondo Beach that features new & vintage Hawaiina. Have any of you heard of it or been there?

http://www.aloha-cruz.com/island_beach/index.html

Dawn32
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-05 08:32 am   Permalink

Oh, I just remembered. Isn't there some kind of event in Vegas in the summer, or is it the fall, I can't remember. I'd love to go to Vegas, I've never been.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 7:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-05 08:32, Dawn32 wrote:
Oh, I just remembered. Isn't there some kind of event in Vegas in the summer, or is it the fall, I can't remember. I'd love to go to Vegas, I've never been.

I think that event was at the Hard Rock a few years ago and was a one-time only event -unless it has resurfaced.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-07 7:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-05 08:24, Dawn32 wrote: I got an email about Cruz Island and Beach 2. I guess it's a weekend event in Redondo Beach that features new & vintage Hawaiina. Have any of you heard of it or been there?

http://www.aloha-cruz.com/island_beach/index.html

It is a very good tiki and Hawaiiana sale.
Cocktails at Purple Orchid often follow.

Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-28 10:11 am   Permalink

the mondo tiki was in vegas and was a one-time deal, however, there have been rumors of it happening again this year. this april is the rock-a-billy weekender, which, lately has taken a turn for tiki. I've noticed alot more tiki related things being associated with the weekender over the past 2 years. seems that tiki has taken a firmer hold on the rock-a-billy scene than it has in past years.....

check out the la luz de jesus gallery in hollywood. shag usually has a show or something going on there. or check the copro/nason gallery in culver city(L.A.)

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation