FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » German booze?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
German booze?
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 12:12 pm   Permalink

I'm off to Berlin in a month's time, and want to bring back some useful ingredients for the cocktail cabinet. Apfel Korn is one I've found to be useful, but can't really think of anything else that can come in handy when making cocktails. Certainly their schnapps & stuff like jagermeister are worth bringing home, but they don't really get much use in cocktails.

Any ideas?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 12:57 pm   Permalink

yeah, last time I was there I came back with jagermeister, but that's all...I know there's a lot of different liquors, I also have feigling... but I never use it.

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 1:03 pm   Permalink

Kummel, if you like caraway seed. Better used in prohibition era cocktails like the silver bullet. Ask Sven, he may have some suggestions.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 1:05 pm   Permalink

i believe a kind of german moonshine is called 'maria kron'. i've had it, it knocks you on your heinrich.

there's also a really tasty brandy (she's a fine girl) called 'asbach uralt...' i like it...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bargoyle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 1:11 pm   Permalink

Last time I was in Germany we wound up at a shooter bar where all they served was Jeniver (not sure if spelling it right Gen-ee-ver pronounciation)

By itself, its absolutely terrible. kinda like rubbing alcohol.

The shooter bar however had every flavor in the world. they added syrups & juices to this stuff and could make a shot taste like anything. Might be worth looking into, but you'll need to know how to mix the flavor in there too. Mai tai shots anyone???

Have a great time!

http://bargoyle.yafro.com/

View Profile of Bargoyle Send a personal message to Bargoyle  Email Bargoyle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 7:49 pm   Permalink

Well, it's not Germany but it's close. Has anyone tried Stroh? 160 proof Austrian spiced rum. I am intrigued.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-02 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-02 19:49, Kono wrote:
Well, it's not Germany but it's close. Has anyone tried Stroh? 160 proof Austrian spiced rum. I am intrigued.

Awesome stuff. Purple, strangely. Hits the nose with a strong rush of sugarcane, the alcohol harshness is pretty light, and the aftertaste is what I would describe as butterscotch. Awesome stuff, but never more than 1/4 of an ounce straight. That's how ms. tikimonkey ended up staying the night at my house the first time

Also used in the Von Tiki from Grog Log.

Well worth the purchase. You can find it at BevMo (if one is near), or online (hitimewines or internetwines)

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2005-02-03 09:37 am   Permalink

Shop at BevMo!

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 09:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-03 09:37, martiki wrote:
Shop at BevMo!

Corporate whore!

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 11:12 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2005-02-02 20:06, tikimonkey wrote:
Quote:

Awesome stuff, but never more than 1/4 of an ounce straight. That's how ms. tikimonkey ended up staying the night at my house the first time

I gave a shot to a friend of mine, and he spontaniously vomited! Brutal stuff, but would probably taste quite nice if it wasn't for the overpowering taste of alcohol. It took many years to get through that bottle, so it's probably off my shopping list, I'm afraid.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Helz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 12:21 pm   Permalink

Stroh'80' = Worst Hangover EVER!

...that being said, the first time I had it was at the Rum Jungle in Mandalay Bay in Vegas. So when I woke up, I was able to stumble (Ok, Tram) my way up the strip to what has got to be the greatest hangover cure ever: The Oxygen Bar. 15 minutes of that I was right back at it...

But to answer your question, my recolection of the flavor experience was very similar to battery acid. But I do prefer it in the center of my volcano bowl, because a little does add a nice character to the drink.

View Profile of Helz Send a personal message to Helz  Email Helz Goto the website of Helz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 4:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-02 19:49, Kono wrote:

I gave 750ml bottles of Stroh as Christmas gifts this year to Sabu, Johnnie Velour & TikiBird. I forgot to pick up a bottle for myself and I couldn't convince ANY of them to open theirs so I could try it before they took it home (harumph!), so I actually have yet to have some. They carry it at Bristol Farms, so I s'pose I'll mosey my way down & get me one soon...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-03 5:31 pm   Permalink

Happy Tiki is happily married to a fine German. Fine. He says Germans are in love with fruit liquers. The butcher around the corner from his childhood home in Nurenburg sold liquers made from every kind of fruit. His favorites are starfruit, passionfruit, pomegranite (?), and banana. He is now Stateside mixing up awesome cocktails on the Lanai. Happy hour's at 8.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-04 10:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-03 17:31, Hau 'oli Tiki wrote:He says Germans are in love with fruit liquers. The butcher around the corner from his childhood home in Nurenburg sold liquers made from every kind of fruit. His favorites are starfruit, passionfruit, pomegranite (?), and banana. He is now Stateside mixing up awesome cocktails on the Lanai. Happy hour's at 8.

Hmmm....that sounds interesting. Perhaps substitite syrups for German fruit liquers for a higher octane cocktail. They would probably work very well in the type of strong cocktails served in martini glasses that people have erroneusly started calling 'insert name here' martini's.

Good call, thanks.

Trader Woody

Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-06 8:07 pm   Permalink

Hangover? no problemo
http://www.gdh-imports.com/acatalog/Underberg_Selection.html
Have no fear...Underberg is here!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation