FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food German booze?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
German booze?
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-06 8:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-06 20:07, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Hangover? no problemo
http://www.gdh-imports.com/acatalog/Underberg_Selection.html
Have no fear...Underberg is here!

They sell that stuff in mass quantities at Moylan's brewery in Novato, CA. I'm quite curious. Perhaps I'll pick some up next time I'm in for a Growler of Kilt Lifter.

update
After a Dark 'n Stormy, Suffering Bastard, and Puka Punch, I chugged a dram of the stuff. Will see what happens in the manana.

[ This Message was edited by: tikimonkey on 2005-02-11 21:18 ]

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 12:17 pm   Permalink

Just found this post...when I am in Germany shooting, I usually stock a bottle of fine Grappa in the camera truck, for cold night exteriors, or as digestive after the heavy meat'n'potato lunch catering. It is available in infinite variety in Germany, and and I prefer it to the traditional Kirsch/plum/pair spirits. Amazingly, Grappa is so clean, you can get plastered on it and feel totally fine the next morning.
I really have no fave German schnaps, of course there are many, varying from region to region. I overdid it with Apple Korn as a teenager, it being the traditional "easy" hard stuff at the Easter bonfire: Goes down like apple juice, and so you drink it like it. Then it hits you like a 2x4, and you fall over, but when you close your eyes, the spinning is too strong and you barf. After doing that a couple of times I layed off it.

My grandmother was hooked on Underberg, using it's "medicinal" properties as excuse, those weird little brown paperwrapped bottles were lying around everywhere. I liked the smell, but the taste...talk about bitters.

My best story is my Stroh Rum story (according to my info it is really just rum-flavoured pure alcohol):
As a young lad of 19 I was living in Berlin to study art, it was the mid 70s, and I was a fan of the David Bowie/Lou Reed/Iggy Stooge triumvirate, of which some were regulars on the Berlin scene at the time. I was a card carrying member in the Iggy Pop fan club, which, complete with a punk B&W xerox zine, was "run" by my friend Harald in West Germany.

He and his girlfriend were in town one weekend to meet Iggy, and I also had another friendly couple from Hamburg staying over at my Berlin basement flat. Somehow we all ended up at my place, and the only booze I had left was a BIG bottle of 160 proof Stroh. Iggy suckled that down rather fast, and to my amazement (I was unattached at the time) he proceeded to have sex with BOTH of my friends' girlfriends in my (the only) bed, while my pals and I just sort of hung out drunk in the kitchen. I really can't recall the reasoning behind this situation, other than that we were young and drunk and star-struck, but it left me with a shallow feeling towards rock stardom, (and the effects of Stroh Rum). There must be other ways to have fun, I remember thinking...

Trader Woody, say high to the Kaisers at the Tabou Tiki and Mr Scholl at the Rum Trader from me. Try to get a copy of Lurker's "BERLIN- City in Space" city guide. Different than the Barcelona one, not as many bars, but go up the block from the Rum Trader into the Galerie Bremer Bar, it has been untouched since the 50s. And visit the Absinth Depot in Weinmeisterstr. 4 in Mitte, great selection.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 1:35 pm   Permalink

Bigbro - phew! Thanks for the comprehensive post!

I must admit to being surprised by grappa being popular in Germany as I'd always thought of it as being more Italian in origin. I've only ever bought two bottles, though - one on a Greek island in a plastic cooking oil bottle and one from Italy that sits in my bar, yet to be touched. I'll look out for some in Berlin - anything that leaves you without a hangover at my age is worth seeking out.

As for Iggy, he's a force of nature. What's incredible was that he just cut a swathe through the booze, drugs and women of the western hemisphere for the 70's (and a good few years on either side) yet has come out the other side like a goofy, friendly uncle. Incidentally, when we went out to Madrid to check out the Mauna Loa, we ended up meeting a girl who'd had a night with Jim back in the 70's. He stomped the terra, that's for sure.

Many thanks for the Berlin bar advice. The Rum Trader and the Tabou were certainly the main reasons for going there, but I'd never have known about the others. Both sound worthy of a night devoted to their pleasures. Just out of interest, there's a 'Mister Hu's' that supposedly has an oceanic theme (which really could mean anything) and a reputation for decent cocktails. Ever heard of it? Is it worth going to?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 4:25 pm   Permalink

Mister WHO ?! (Sorry, I had to do that)
No, do not know of it, but would if it would be remotely Tiki...maybe the others know about it.
By the way, he Absinth Depot is a store, it does not have a liquor licence...but since it is open late, and one can sample ANY spirit for a little cash, while the very nice and informative owner tells you about them, it really is the same.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-15 4:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-02-15 12:17, bigbrotiki wrote:
Iggy suckled that down rather fast, and to my amazement (I was unattached at the time)...

Man, when I first read that part I thought the story was going somewhere different!

If that happened today you could put those sheets on ebay and make a nice buck especially if there were any stains that looked vaguely like a religous icon, a moai or the infamous Bat Boy.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation